Rumored song, "Stop (The Poverty)"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theu2fly

Refugee
There are a few U2 sites that are saying Bono has started writting a song about the conditions and progress of Africa, I found these lyrics and I don't know if it's true...

For the hearts that bleed
Relief can't come sooner
We're tired of excuses
An answer is all we need

Put an end to it all
Solve and offer a solution
We need unity
We can stop the poverty

Discuss...

new album rumors :hyper:

I dunno, a song like "Stop (The Poverty)" sounds a little too direct even for Bono, and isn't it basically the same theme as Crumbs From Your Table? I mean, why write the same song over again? :scratch: I'm guessing someone just made up the lyrics so U2 fans would have something to talk about during the tour break :wink: but hey, I could be wrong. if I am, I just hope they change the song title. I agree that the poverty needs to be stopped, just not in the title of a song.

It sounds more like a charity song or something, not a U2 song. But you never know....

And I agree with AtomicBono - That title makes me cringe. A nice message but waaaaaayy too cheesy.

There is no way they would write I song like that, I think someone probably made it up to give us something to talk about for the next 2 years...also Stop (The Poverty) is probably the worst song title since big girls are best (although a great song :wink: )

It doesn't matter if it's true or not true (the new lyrics to Stop), but Bono does strike me as a little naive. Sure he's totally pro-active in his political ambitions, but I think he spreads a lot of false hope. Ending poverty...I don't think that will ever happen. And the Africa situation, it's gonna take a lot more from the US and the world to solve this problem, and if people were to stop bitchin about the deficit, maybe we could afford 50 billion dollars more towards that cause. Me, I think the U.S. would have to stop giving money to other countries to be able to afford the help in Africa. I think it's kind of unfair of Bono to act gracious towards Pres Bush while writing songs about him behind his back.

ozeeko said:
It doesn't matter if it's true or not true (the new lyrics to Stop), but Bono does strike me as a little naive. Sure he's totally pro-active in his political ambitions, but I think he spreads a lot of false hope. Ending poverty...I don't think that will ever happen. And the Africa situation, it's gonna take a lot more from the US and the world to solve this problem, and if people were to stop bitchin about the deficit, maybe we could afford 50 billion dollars more towards that cause. Me, I think the U.S. would have to stop giving money to other countries to be able to afford the help in Africa. I think it's kind of unfair of Bono to act gracious towards Pres Bush while writing songs about him behind his back.

:uhoh:

* run ozeeko, RUN!!! *

ozeeko said:
And the Africa situation, it's gonna take a lot more from the US and the world to solve this problem, and if people were to stop bitchin about the deficit, maybe we could afford 50 billion dollars more towards that cause. Me, I think the U.S. would have to stop giving money to other countries to be able to afford the help in Africa. I think it's kind of unfair of Bono to act gracious towards Pres Bush while writing songs about him behind his back.

And you think Bono is naive...

Almost everything you stated is either completely wrong or oversimplified.:|

the band would never let Bono put a song on the album called "Stop the Poverty."

that would be awful.

but let the rumors begin :applaud:

hey i don't work for government or have government ties, but you gotta admit these problems (poverty, AIDS in Africa) are enormous, massive grand-scale problems that, if you we were to finally sit down and say ok this is our main agenda, it would take many sacrifices (i.e. we'd have to cut back giving money to other causes) and focus the majority of it on these things. I think Bono's good at we he does, and as a celebrity actually puts his money where his mouth is, but at the same time i think he overestimates what is possible. It's easy to just say we can do this, the problem is so solveable, all we need is more money from the government. But to do that we also have to give up a lot. That's all I'm saying. I think we should put more money into Africa. Poverty, on the other hand, will never be stopped, in my opinion. As long as we have the types of governments we have. We'd have to invent a new type of government. And communism, no matter what anyone says, is not a good way of life. What's 'the point of living if you're working to be on the same level as everyone else, which is a crap level to begin with. As for Bono writing songs about the Pres Bush, I believe "Crumbs From Your Table" was adressed to the U.S., even tho we are giving more money than ever towards Africa. As a person, it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way having Bono gracious to the President's face while saying elsewhere that we're not doing the job well enough. Of course we're not, but it's not that black and white. THe governemnt has a ridiculous balancing act with the money it gives out. If they could find a way to donate enough money to stop the AIDS problem while not taking away from other causes, then great. Poverty tho, I think that's a huge stretch.

You do have a point about the "Make Poverty History" statement being rather silly. But Bono usually emphasizes that what he is talking about is not poverty in general but stupid poverty. The amount of poverty that could realistically be eradicated by means that are at our disposal.

ozeeko said:

If people don't bitch about the defecit, the US will just fall billions and billons and and billons of dollars into even more debt that the next generation will be forced to pay it off. Instead of doing productive things in the future we will be trying to pay off Bush's massive defecit. We can either fix it now or fix it later when it is 3x as big. Putting off a problem does not make it go away.

Also, Bono doesn't really say he wants to end poverty, he says he wants to end "extreme poverty" which I think is semi-realistic. You can never truly end poverty or extreme poverty for that matter, but you can do everything in your power to help, and that is what he is doing. Wether you think it's a huge stretch to end poverty or not is besides the point, what is important is that he is doing something good and productive with his time while most celebrities are sitting on their butts in some $500 million dollar house in Hawaii, working on their tans.

Aygo said:

Yeah, but they named a song "Peace on Earth":wink: :laugh: , even though Bono joked ironically that he would spank someone who was capable to name a song like that...
Did he now?

*writes song titled Peace on Earth*

*waits*

:shifty:

For the hearts that bleed
Relief can't come sooner
We're tired of excuses
An answer is all we need

Put an end to it all
Solve and offer a solution
We need unity
We can stop the poverty

We can make deals
We can stop the lies
We can put an end to the killing fields
And start a compromise

shart1780 said:
If those are lyrics to a new U2 song I'm going to shoot myself in the face.

I will join you :scream:

I don't just accept everything they throw out there, I despise Zooropa. My Zooropa CD could snap into a little tiny pieces and I wouldn't care!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom