Rumored song, "Stop (The Poverty)"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrBrau1 said:

That's not a U2 song.

That's a poem Sally Struthers read during one of those "Save The Children" tv commercials.

ha! *puts in South Park DVD.

i want to give you some clean clothes
and wear them as your wardrobe
check the right pocket in your new jeans
and look through your new wallet

oh poverty, oh poverty
it's no mystery, that you're history
then i kneel, because i love that word
the more i kneel, the less i stand

I think that would be a terrible name for a song. Bono needs to write songs like he did back in the era of Rattle and Hum and The Joshua Tree and even some of Achtung Baby. Very poetic and deep and not nearly as direct or ironic.

the tourist said:
I think that would be a terrible name for a song. Bono needs to write songs like he did back in the era of Rattle and Hum and The Joshua Tree and even some of Achtung Baby. Very poetic and deep and not nearly as direct or ironic.

Though I agree with you, perhaps the band are using these very "direct" songs as a reference to today's society, which has little time to analyse and understand deep and poetic themes. Everything today is HERE&NOW...and maybe the band are trying to cut through that lyrically as well as musically.

I've only been here a very short while, but the poster of this thread is full of misinformation and bullshit.

They make up crap, they can't get how many Grammys they won(right after it was posted), it's ridiculous.

But I guess it's all in fun.

doubleU said:
I've only been here a very short while, but the poster of this thread is full of misinformation and bullshit.

They make up crap, they can't get how many Grammys they won(right after it was posted), it's ridiculous.

But I guess it's all in fun.

I cannot count how many times I have had to correct theu2fly for factually inaccurate setlist statements.

As a rule, if theu2fly says something about setlists, don't believe it until you've checked U2-Vertigo-Tour.com or another setlist website for confirmation or denial.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
didn't someone use the title "stop (the poverty)" in one of those joke "name the album and tracklisting" threads?

Originally posted by jonnytakeawalk
Hmmm, probably should have made up a title that you hadn't used in a thread before, :wink:

Exaaaaactly.

and no, theu2fly is not Bono -- Bono's too smooth to make such an error (or is he?) :hmm:

i think some people take themselves too seriously on these boards. Who cares if this thread is predicated on bullshit? At least it sparked an interesting discussion! I like these threads ten times more than "which song is better: this one or this one?" Who cares. There's nothing wrong with having an extended conversation. Look, we're on the 6th page!

ozeeko said:
i think some people take themselves too seriously on these boards. Who cares if this thread is predicated on bullshit? At least it sparked an interesting discussion! I like these threads ten times more than "which song is better: this one or this one?" Who cares. There's nothing wrong with having an extended conversation. Look, we're on the 6th page!

agreed.

So, based on speculated title and lyrics alone, which song is better, Stop (The Poverty) or Save (The People)?

here are some of the lyrics to Save (The People)

un, deux, trois, VINGT-HUIT!

there are people
that need to be saved
what rhymes with people?
this problem is grave

AFRICA
AFRICA
ICELAND
AFRICA

my soul is kneeling
my knees are feeling
in me there is a fire
taking me higher

AFRICA
AFRICA
GREENLAND
AFRICA

Those are the only lyrics I've found so far, but I'll keep you posted :wink:

steeple, neeple (actually nipple. but now since Bono's an inventive genius of mispronunciation a la "torTOISE")

mikal said:
i want to give you some clean clothes
and wear them as your wardrobe
check the right pocket in your new jeans
and look through your new wallet

oh poverty, oh poverty
it's no mystery, that you're history
then i kneel, because i love that word
the more i kneel, the less i stand

And then let's kiss...
kiss the sky
as we kneel before we die