Rolling Stone: "U2 greatest hits comp, may drop before Christmas"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Screwtape2 said:
t8thgr8, the sentence is talking about CD's. A good journalist wouldn't call something a greatest hits compilation album. They expect the reader to know they talking about an album. This is elementary English.

And really, inside you know you like me.

You are far too kind, man.

Folks what you say of J_NP's live set of what could be and I wanted to look like a best of live 80-06 ..... Kinda written in few minutes , and I kinda didn't go much for the BIG hits , put some great gems that lack live or any releases if not studio

Feel Free to put the order u may . after I do this as well :

T U Fire ( Joshua Tour )
One ( Popmart )
streets ( Lovetown )
Desire ( Lovetown )
Angel of Harlem ( Lovetown )
Ultra Violet ( ZOOTV )
Last Night ( PopMart )
Please (Elevation / Electric) Now that would be a gem , and what a rare gem
Walk On ( Elevation )
Wowy ( ZOOTV )
First Time (Vertigo 2006 )
Real Thing ( Popmart )
Gloria ( JT tour )
Out of Control (Boy Tour )
One Tree Hill (Lovetown )
All Because of You (Vertigo )
Angel of Harlem ( Lovetown )
Any fantastic version of She's a mystery
Pride ( Amnesty )
Party Girl ( JT tour )
Real Thing ( Popmart )
HMTMKMKM ( Popmart)
Electric Co ( Vertigo )

Last edited:
Screwtape2 said:

And really, inside you know you like me.

:confused: :love:

i still think theyre talking about hot releases to boost sales and not just cds.

khanda rhodes: how do you know what my tone is?

t8thgr8 said:
khanda rhodes: how do you know what my tone is?

Because she's literate and can read what you wrote? Funny that, eh? Maybe you should take your own advice and think before you speak.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
who ever said that good journalists work for rolling stone?

:laugh: :up:

Best post in this thread!

Not sure what to make of this rumor. I will say IF new material is coming out I have said it would have to be part of a compilation. I was thinking soundtrack though to a movie, not another greatest hits. If this does happen, and its going to be a war here if it does, I will buy it if it has something "new" (meaning, new song(s), new versions of song, live songs not released, etc.) but I have to say its one of the few times it would seem like a sort of money grab by U2 or their label to me. Typically I defend their marketing decisions, but this one could fit the "lame" category finally for me personally. I guess we will have to wait and see if it happens and exactly what it is if it does.

Dont count on it containing any "unreleased" stuff unless its the new stuff that is made in the studio.

This is so unlikely. I don't really need to echo what other people have said---that it'd be so silly.

Let's not forget that rumors around U2 album releases have been wrong so many times before. The best is the Achtung Baby album. A journalist who'd seen Bono driving around stopped him and asked him what the next album (AB) was going to be like. Bono said, "It's a dense album." The guy misheard him and the story got around that AB was going to be "a dance album." :lmao:

Sure, we'd like to think that Rolling Stone should have some good credibility, but this is just a few-word blurb....I'd have more faith in it if it were a small story or even a paragraph on U2. :yes:

What I'd Love it to Be:

"The Almost Best Of 1980-2000"

11 O Clock, Tick Tock
Out of Control
Gloria
Two Hearts Beat as One
"40"
A Sort of Homecoming
MLK
Bullet the Blue Sky
In God's Country
Running to Stand Still
Hawkmoon 269
The Fly
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Lemon
Please
If God Will Send His Angels
Last Night on Earth

What it very well could be:

U2: The Best Of

I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
Bad
Streets
I Still Haven't Found...
With or Without You
Desire
All I Want is You
One
Mysterious Ways
Stay
Numb
Discotheque
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo

:|

Headache in a Suitcase said:
who ever said that good journalists work for rolling stone?
Believe me Headache, only the best of music journalists write for Rolling Stone. It ain't exactly the National Enquirer.

Personally I think RS isn't always the gospel, but like someone else said, if it was in this well respected music mag, the project was at least heavily considered. I can die happy if the compilation is a 1980-90 DVD or Best of Live...I mean really if U2 wanted to kick off all the mediocre peeps off of the Top 40 then put out a best of live!!! Jeez who's their marketing peep?

I have a feeling it's The Best Of 1980-1990 DVD.....as part of a media onslaught.

- There's the new book detailing their history

- A new single (yes, you heard me)

- A rerelease of their most popular live video

- Final Vertigo Dates

And to cap it off, The Best Of 1980-1990 DVD featuring lots of early, rare footage. All of this is part of a campaign to build up steam for a forthcoming studio album in the spring.

I really hope this is not a best of 80-06 CD. I will have no problem with a greatest hits album when they've retired but not now! With four very solid beach clip songs and possibly Mercy, it seems to me they're close to a new album. That's what I want.

If it is just a Best of 1980-2005 album and the band was all for this then they are going to have to start fighting off accusations of selling out on an even larger scale. I don't want to see the band to end thier careers this way. Between the IPod commercials to giving Mary J. Blige the song One to the ESPN commercials to the moving to Holland to escape taxes and then a possible ripoff GH album, the band wil be killed not only by the press but also by the fans.
PLEASE don't disappoint us, guys!

Screwtape2 said:
I don't want to see the band to end thier careers this way. Between the IPod commercials to giving Mary J. Blige the song One to the ESPN commercials to the moving to Holland to escape taxes and then a possible ripoff GH album, the band wil be killed not only by the press but also by the fans.
PLEASE don't disappoint us, guys!
Ohhhh nooo aging rockstar syndrome.

We're going to have to accept it.

BigMacPhisto said:
I have a feeling it's The Best Of 1980-1990 DVD.....as part of a media onslaught.

A "Best of 1980-1990" DVD would be awesome. I'd love to have some of those videos (Streets, WOWY, etc) on DVD... I really loved the 1990-2000 compilation, so it'd be great if they released their older videos.

Canadiens1160 said:
Ohhhh nooo aging rockstar syndrome.

We're going to have to accept it.

I've pretty much accepted that U2 is nearing the end of the line. I'm hoping and praying that they don't fall further anytime soon because I don't want to see the Interference boards turn ugly when the rest of the fanbase has to "accept it."

why people keep assuming the band are nearing the end is baffling, maybe they are, but if so why would bono of kept using the "just getting started" speech on the vertigo tour?

i mean sure it was bono saying it, but i highly doubt he would be saying it if they were planning on calling it quits anytime soon.

I have a question....

As a "new" U2 fan I was wondering if they have ever recorded so many new songs (the ones on U2 exit) so soon after a release of an album..... Don't they usually go back into the album and work from nothing again but rumor has it that these songs were written in some stage when Bomb was released.

Maybe it is a greatest hits plus those songs as it seems strange that they will never make it onto an album and recording them now for an album release in 3 years also makes no sense.

Sorry just wondering...

Lisa

lisa2004 said:
I have a question....

As a "new" U2 fan I was wondering if they have ever recorded so many new songs (the ones on U2 exit) so soon after a release of an album..... Don't they usually go back into the album and work from nothing again but rumor has it that these songs were written in some stage when Bomb was released.

Maybe it is a greatest hits plus those songs as it seems strange that they will never make it onto an album and recording them now for an album release in 3 years also makes no sense.

Sorry just wondering...

Lisa

I think in the early days of the band they would go into new albums without anything and work from scratch. But as they progressed as a band I am sure they've held onto songs and song ideas for a long time. For example City of Blinding Lights really was born during the POP sessions in 1997... and they held onto it for some time. Just like some POP songs date back to the Zooropa sessions.

But at the same time new songs and ideas are also born while recording and writing. Crumbs from Your Table was suposedly born after a night of drinking and writing.

lisa2004 said:
I have a question....

Sorry just wondering...

Lisa

U2 has often worked on new material during tours. For example, two October songs had their live debuts on the Boy Tour; Pride was developed at a War Tour soundcheck; a tonne of stuff was developed during Joshua Tree Tour soundchecks (such as She's A Mystery To Me, When Love Comes To Town, and presumably most other stuff on RAH); Zooropa's material was initially developed on ZooTV and recorded during a break in legs on the tour. So this wouldn't be that odd really.

Axver said:

And ATYCLB? Forget about it. No need to ruin a perfectly good live compilation.

Hey now! I loved "Kite"! I really liked "Walk On". And given how big of a hit "Beautiful Day" was and how popular "Elevation" is in concert, I highly doubt either of them would be overlooked on some "Best Of Live" album. Of course, I wonder if "Elevation" from the Vertigo Tour is actually better... Speaking of the Vertigo Tour, there are quite a few great songs from that which would be perfect on a live CD.

Trouble is, with iPods and boots now readily available, I've long since made my own VERY long list of favorite live tracks. Granted, many are not these great soundboard recordings, but they are good enough. So I don't even really need a live CD - I've made my own. :)

Maybe U2 is going to stay around for another 20 years like the Stones:wink: .... I could see Bono in 20 years strutting around like Mick...

you never know..:eyebrow:

Miricale_Drug said:
is it possible they could do what jacko done with 'history'

have one disk 'best of the best' and a 2nd disk of new material?

Possibly the disk1 could be live, as this is 'where they live'

I think all fans would ADORE this!

One "Best Of Live" CD combined with even an EP of new material as a second CD. In fact, they could market two versions - one that is the live material only and one that has this "special" EP that's "for a limited time only" (much like the B-sides version of the 80's "Best Of" was supposed to be). It's a marketing ploy, but one that would work wonders. And I think fans would be VERY happy. We'd finally have a full CD of live material (something we really haven't had since the "Hasta la Vista" special CD - and that was special release only) and we'd have some new songs to thrill us until the next album.

Heck, with this type of release, and all the other rumored U2 goodies to come out (DVD's, more concerts, books), U2 could take a few years off with out problem!

is it possible they could do what jacko done with 'history'
I think all fans would ADORE this!
One "Best Of Live" CD combined with even an EP of new material as a second CD. In fact, they could market two versions - one that is the live material only and one that has this "special" EP that's "for a limited time only" (much like the B-sides version of the 80's "Best Of" was supposed to be). It's a marketing ploy, but one that would work wonders. And I think fans would be VERY happy. We'd finally have a full CD of live material (something we really haven't had since the "Hasta la Vista" special CD - and that was special release only) and we'd have some new songs to thrill us until the next album.

God, I hope this article was just an effort of making a bad article with no sense.
Well, in 1998 we had a compilation, in 2002 we had another compilation, in 2005 a digital releasement with U2's catalogue and now... another compilation? It just makes us all say "f-off"!!!

Me, personally, I was hoping for a new album (with minimal possibilities) or even a EP or a non-album single, but this?...
Well, that idea of a similar product as Michael Jackson's "HIStory" wouldn't be that bad. Imagine box with a compilation and kind of new album cd, a 3cd compilation with the hits and other important songs and attached another CD (in a different case, with a different title) full of new songs (it could even be those re-worked HTDAAB outtakes + Mercy + the beach clips). This way, people would by the compilation but they "had to" listen to the new songs.

If it is just a Best of 1980-2005 album and the band was all for this then they are going to have to start fighting off accusations of selling out on an even larger scale. I don't want to see the band to end thier careers this way. Between the IPod commercials to giving Mary J. Blige the song One to the ESPN commercials to the moving to Holland to escape taxes and then a possible ripoff GH album, the band wil be killed not only by the press but also by the fans.

Unfortunatelly, if this is true, I have to agree with anything Screwtape2 said here...:huh:

U2girl said:
As for Best of the rest...I don't buy it.

The record deal said 3 Best of's, and I presume it means a Best for the 80's, a Best of for the 90's and a Best of for the 00's.

How many standard albums are left in their current record deal? Many bands previously have found themselves with nothing left on the contract except a greatest hits compilation, and have rushed that out just to bring an end to the deal. U2 exclusively own their music in digital form - not Universal. U2 only deal with Apple and divide the $ only with Apple for all iTunes sales. Effectively U2 have two record companies currently. Universal for hardcopies, and Apple for digital. U2 have the money and clout to split with Universal as a band under contract, set up their own record company for their own business, and just sign a distribution & marketing deal with Universal or the highest bidder. It puts U2 firmly at the centre of their own universe. They could easily do this, far lesser bands have done this. However, this combined with their Apple deal (which ranks up there with owning their own publishing rights and getting the ownership in Island back in the 80s as their most shrewd business moves), will have ramifications around the music business simply because it's U2 and they'll do it in a far more truly financially independent, safe and successful way. The band isn't the product anymore, and the record company becomes simply a service for hire, for limited means. U2's deal might not be up or even close, but I bet when it is they don't go into another standard contract, and they do something similar to the above.

Does anyone else think the band won't retire for another 10 years or so? It seems like a lot of people think its one more album and tour then out.

Kildare said:
Does anyone else think the band won't retire for another 10 years or so? It seems like a lot of people think its one more album and tour then out.

I agree. I think these guys will be making records for a while. I think those who say they only have a short time left are looking more at their age and thinking that, rather than looking at the band's real desire. Even through having kids, getting engaged (i.e., Adam), working on tons of extra-curriculars, etc., every band member has continued to talk about wanting to make more music.

Back
Top Bottom