Rolling Stone Magazine Coverage (New article 1/7/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way Breathe isn't on the album. Weren't they hyping that up as by far and away the best thing ever created by the hands of man?

Yes, exactly. That was definitely one of the rather unwarranted fears that came up (in my opinion).

Remember, they were laying down parts to this one all the way down to the wire. So it may not have been in top shape to play for RS.

I remember Lanois mentioning two choral pieces he was excited about (this was when he was promoting his movie, I believe) so apparently they are Unknown Caller and Tripoli.

Can't fucking wait for this one.

I am just glad to know the lyric in Magnificent is "Only love... can leave such a mark"

I'm guessing that Bono says different things at different points in the song--so likely this lyric is correct as well as the Q lyric (just for different rehashes of the chorus).

The Q lyric being: Only love can...reset the mind

Wow. Mixed bag. On the one hand there are choral parts and Zooropa references, on the other it’s Will.I.Am and the f*cking Sweetest Thing.
I really hope there’s some sort of cohesion, somehow, to this album.

Wow. Mixed bag. On the one hand there are choral parts and Zooropa references, on the other it’s Will.I.Am and the f*cking Sweetest Thing.
I really hope there’s some sort of cohesion, somehow, to this album.

Will.i.am did a REMIX key word REMIX of "Magnificent" and "Crazy tonight" that is for dance charts and such...I wouldn't be so worried

It boggles my mind how you can have the combined musical genius of Edge, Eno and Lanois and yet you need to call in the dude from Black Eyed Peas (The Color Me Badd of the 00's)

There is no way Breathe isn't on the album. Weren't they hyping that up as by far and away the best thing ever created by the hands of man?

Not only that, but there's also no way that Breathe isn't a "key track" on the album, either... which means that if the RS article is to be believed -- and, just for kicks, let's assume that it is -- then Breathe, which in Brian Eno's opinion is the best thing U2 has ever done -- is STILL only the 11th-most key track on the whole album.

Which is all just oh-so :drool::drool::drool::drool:

:wink:

I'm gone at school for a day, I come back and there's a new thread with 17 pages worth of highly repetitive speculation, and 150 people reading the thread.

Interference is amazing.

Not only that, but there's also no way that Breathe isn't a "key track" on the album, either... which means that if the RS article is to be believed -- and, just for kicks, let's assume that it is -- then Breathe, which in Brian Eno's opinion is the best thing U2 has ever done -- is STILL only the 11th-most key track on the whole album.

As I said above, they were working on this track down to the wire. So they may not have played it to them.

And there's no need to get overly-hooked on the word "key" here. I don't think they were meaning to rank the songs. They just picked 10 of them.

I'm gone at school for a day, I come back and there's a new thread with 17 pages worth of highly repetitive speculation, and 150 people reading the thread.

Interference is amazing.

You missed the fun part :wink:

Because the 00s are a wasteland, and evidently U2 want in on it. Black Eyed Peas aren’t the Color Me Badd of the 00s. Color Me Badd were a joke when they were around, BEP aren’t, they’re genuinely one of the biggest and most respected acts today. Says a lot. It’s no wonder some people think Vertigo is a fucking revelation when you’ve been bombarded with P!nk for the rest of the day.

What Brian says is not necessarily what RS will think. Brian is not exactly an average music critic, and, although I think he's a complete genius, and one of the greatest musical minds ever to exist, his musical tastes aren't really mainstream (in reality, IMO they're much better, see: Original Soundtracks 1, which I personally love).

Because the 00s are a wasteland, and evidently U2 want in on it. Black Eyed Peas aren’t the Color Me Badd of the 00s. Color Me Badd were a joke when they were around, BEP aren’t, they’re genuinely one of the biggest and most respected acts today. Says a lot. It’s no wonder some people think Vertigo is a fucking revelation when you’ve been bombarded with P!nk for the rest of the day.

Wow, you're pretty bitter today! Switch to decaf and have some fun here.

I cant fathom how people dislike Sweetest Thing.. such a tightly crafted, perfect pop song.
but then, I suppose some people just hate pop music

I'm pretty sure putting the "Comedy" on the end of Stand Up was just for fun?

This album seems like a more mature and 21st century version of War. :yes:

Yeah, Comedy is either U2 f-ing around or RS f-ing around. I kinda hope it's the name of the song...and then Edge comes in with monster Clapton/Page riff.

You might be right – I’m on Day 2 of quitting smoking. Bit cranky. Might move on. But before I go – The Sweetest Thing is in the Top (Bottom?) 3 Worst things they’ve ever done. :mad:

Feel free to take your anger out here to help yourself quit smoking. You have a worthy goal. ;)

Yeah, Comedy is either U2 f-ing around or RS f-ing around. I kinda hope it's the name of the song...and then Edge comes in with monster Clapton/Page riff.

Rolling Stone I suspect, same as with the Get Your Boots On/Get On Your Boots confusion.

On Crazy Tonight, I kinda have mixed feelings on it, Bono said it would be NLOTH's Beautiful Day, which is good, then they said it was like Sweetest Thing, I don't mind the song but I never really loved it.

But if it turns out to be Beach Clip 5 then i'll be fine.

Nah, the B-side version is much better than the single one.

So we have 12 confirmed titles plus For Your Love, which could be anyone of those 12. I doubt they will throw away what Edge considers one of his best riffs... (and it is one of the better leaked clips so far IMHO).

Levitate was horrible...Flower Child or Love You Like Mad are songs more deserving of an album than Levitate

That is YOUR opinion.

to me Levitate is one of the best pieces of music U2 ever recorded.

But if it turns out to be Beach Clip 5 then i'll be fine.

Beach 5 is the only one where I can't hear nothing.

I thought somewhere in 18 pages of discussion, there must be some more news or something. Wrong, just people getting worried that U2 won't please their tastes. 18 pages of that... sheesh. Total waste of my time.

So according to this article their may be only 10 tracks on this album but if they are all good I could really care less :)

Thank you for the article :)

I thought somewhere in 18 pages of discussion, there must be some more news or something. Wrong, just people getting worried that U2 won't please their tastes. 18 pages of that... sheesh. Total waste of my time.
There is some more news –in the Rolling Stone article on the single tracks – the rest here is: speculation and discussion about individual taste ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom