Rolling Stone Magazine Coverage (New article 1/7/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't take a genius to look at the description of Crazy Tonight and see that it might not fit well with the rest of the the album. I hope it will.

And nobody said anything about shit songs.

Why? Because it's a pop song? Bono even compared it to Beautiful Day. It's a joyful song. If you ask me, that fits very well. Several songs on this album seem to have a joyful atmosphere.

I like Rolling Stones descriptions, and I reckon the Will.I.Am mixes/remixes will end up being single releases, probably with different versions on the album. Bono said something about going after the kids this time (that reads slightly scary!) - Will.I.Am will be all about that.

Yeah, this is actually fine with me as long as it's a bit off to the side.

Why? Because it's a pop song? Bono even compared it to Beautiful Day. It's a joyful song. If you ask me, that fits very well. Several songs on this album seem to have a joyful atmosphere.

Fits very well where though? As I said, there is a place for The Sweetest Thing, but I sure wouldn't want that song popping up just anywhere. Can you imagine Until the End of the World segueing into the Sweetest Thing? That's the type of concern I'm talking about.

And where are you seeing "joy" in the other song descriptions?

I know it's premature to judge based upon descriptions alone, but it doesn't sound like any of these songs "fit." There are references to Vertigo, Zooropa, ATYCLB, JT...if the reviewer's descriptions are close to the mark, then NLOTH might be all over the place in a musical sense.

This is the very nature of descriptions. What is he going to say, "oh, this one sounds like #3, but with more reverb...that one sounds nice...it has a lot in common with #10...eh, just buy the album"? No, they're going to do everything possible to make each track stand out in your mind individually.

In short, these articles are fun, but they don't give you a clear picture.

Oh, I hope so! :happy:

"The idea is that the narrator is in an altered state, and his phone starts talking to him."

:uhoh:

Why do you think it's going to be so literal? Do you think the lyrics will be

"My phone is talking to me...do do do"
"I'm in an altered state...de da da da"

It'll be about "a phone talking to someone" in the same way the Fly is about "a telephone call from Hell but the guy kinda likes it there"

This is the very nature of descriptions. What is he going to say, "oh, this one sounds like #3, but with more reverb...that one sounds nice...it has a lot in common with #10...eh, just buy the album"? No, they're going to do everything possible to make each track stand out in your mind individually.

:up:

I highly doubt it, as U2 postponed the album for a reason, and were recording well into December. Their recording history dictates that they tinkered with songs until the very last moment.

They did tinker with it. The beach clips sound mostly finished and they sound quite good but no doubt the lyrics have changed and instrument arrangements have changed just from reading the Q article. There are going to be surprises on this album and just reading the descriptions from the Q article for the last album you really can't tell from the descriptions alone how you will feel about the final versions.

200px-Seinfeld_s9e17.jpg

I'm an old man...I'm confused!

:up: very true. Wasn't it someone in The RollingStone who compared the intro to ABOY to the intro of Discotheque in a similar article before HTDAAB was released? LOL
Not only they don't give you a clear picture but can be really misleading...

New York hip hop radio...."New isht...U2 featuring Will I am...its called Crazy Tonight...Lets go"....Boom Boom Boom... "yeah this is for all my crazy people out there" NO!

some of you must think u2 are idiots.
they aren't a hip hop band.. there wont be rapping. will i am is a producer. he'd there to remix

Fits very well where though? As I said, there is a place for The Sweetest Thing, but I sure wouldn't want that song popping up just anywhere. Can you imagine Until the End of the World segueing into the Sweetest Thing? That's the type of concern I'm talking about.

And where are you seeing "joy" in the other song descriptions?

If they have experimental, techno, hard rock stuff on this album, there's also a place for a simple sweet pop song. :wink:

Seriously, I don't like Hip Hop and I don't hope - and honestly don't think - there will be any Hip Hop references on there, hopefully Will.I.Am is doing the remixes and only the remixes. But I love pop songs and I think U2 are very good at pop songs. I see a lot of joy in their music and uplifting songs are something they are very good at. "Breathe" sounds joyful to me, as does "Magnificent", possibly also "Boots". If Bono can get away with the lyrics in "Stand up", and "Boots", he can get away with "If I don't go crazy tonight" as well.

We have to see and hear it all in context when the album comes out. I just hope they place the individual songs intelligently on the album.

Maybe there's something that connects the songs. Hence the "very long"
This is an old idea, but it seems the most plausible concerning the problem putting together all those songs.
Maybe there's not a problem at all and the songs fit together nice.

Why do you think it's going to be so literal? Do you think the lyrics will be

"My phone is talking to me...do do do"
"I'm in an altered state...de da da da"

The description just seems a little bizarre to me, that's all. And don't be so sure that the lyrics won't be literal. According to Q magazine, some of the "instructions" that are texted to the song's narrator include "reboot yourself" and "password, enter here."

I recognise that you can't place a lot of faith in song descriptions. They do, however, give you some idea of what to expect, so I don't think it's completely off-base to feel excited or worried about a song based upon how a reviewer has described it. Full judgement is, of course, reserved for the day of the album's release.

If they have experimental, techno, hard rock stuff on this album, there's also a place for a simple sweet pop song. :wink:

Seriously, I don't like Hip Hop and I don't hope - and honestly don't think - there will be any Hip Hop references on there, hopefully Will.I.Am is doing the remixes and only the remixes. But I love pop songs and I think U2 are very good at pop songs. I see a lot of joy in their music and uplifting songs are something they are very good at. "Breathe" sounds joyful to me, as does "Magnificent", possibly also "Boots". If Bono can get away with the lyrics in "Stand up", and "Boots", he can get away with "If I don't go crazy tonight" as well.

We have to see and hear it all in context when the album comes out. I just hope they place the individual songs intelligently on the album.

That's definitely fair. I just don't want to see a Bomb repeat, where the songs feel a bit disjointed. I want this album to be a functional whole.

I just dont want to hear U2 follow the current hip hop, r&b trend for a second single....Singer..chorus..Singer Chorus..then rapper to finalize the song by stating the obvious. Not something ive ever wanted u2 to do....who knows it could be amazing but a rapping Will I Am on a u2 track is not something I want on a "classic album".

If he is only producing/remixing great. I just wouldnt care for that type of song with a Will I am verse.

Something just worries me about Bono's quote "were also going after the younger generation on this one". Dont like that at all considering all of the bullshit that a majority of the "youngins" i know listen to, sorry.

I just dont want to hear U2 follow the current hip hop, r&b trend for a second single....Singer..chorus..Singer Chorus..then rapper to finalize the song by stating the obvious. Not something ive ever wanted u2 to do....who knows it could be amazing but a rapping Will I Am on a u2 track is not something I want on a "classic album".

If he is only producing/remixing great. I just wouldnt care for that type of song with a Will I am verse.

Yeah, I think we can all agree that'd be taking it too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom