"rockier?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I just saw someone on another thread post that the 90's were 'rockier' than the 80's. I am here to dispute this. My first impression of U2 back in 1983 was that they rocked hard! SBS, NYD and War blew me away! UF was more artsy, but still rocked. JT had Streets and more that 'rocked' to me. Desire rocked too. Now AB did surely rock, of course, but I don't count the 90's as any more rocking. I guess it's because I don't think that Pop songs like MOFO 'rock' because they are not like rock songs, they were going for the electronica/dance sound, dance club beats, (like DYFL) which do not move me (by any band.) Gone is the only real rock song in it, IMO. Plus it had slow ones like VD, SATS, WUDM, IGWSHA to balance the slowness on other ablums. Miami was just plain silly, not a rock song. Zooropa is the only thing I'd call 'rock' on that album, there are several slow songs, and a few that are just weird. Bomb rocks more than Zooropa or Pop, though it too has its slow songs. I guess what I'm trying to say is that no decade rocks more than another, and that really, U2 has not been known as that hard of a 'rocking' type of band anyway. But they're special and great.

*hides*

:reject:

You can see this kind of opinions because peaple are very ignorant. Yes, ignorant.
Because most, if not all debates of 80s VS 90s is actualy a UF-JT-R&H VS the 90s.
What about Boy-October-War?

When you'll take only UF, JT and R&H than yes, the 90's are more ROCK. but with the first 3 albums it's the 80's that ROCK.

U2Kitten, you're also very ignorant.
Because you have to be deaf if you hear "electronica/dance sound, dance club beats," in MoFo, or anywhere on POP. You should check what realy is "electronica/dance sound, dance club beats," and you'll see a diference.
Mofo is the only song from U2 that one of my friends, a heavy-metal fan, likes. ROCK! first class!
It's not about opinion here (like in diferent POP thread) of not liking sounds that you hear. It's about your ignorance to music styles!

Exit rocked, Bullets rocks, The Fly rocks, Desire rocks, Vertigo rocks, UTTEOTW rocks, Acrobat rocks, NYD rocks, I Will Follow Rocks, alot of stuff rocks

U2Kitten said:
I just saw someone on another thread post that the 90's were 'rockier' than the 80's. I am here to dispute this.

I guess the thread you mention is the - first U2 album - thread, and the reply i gave :wink:

I think " rockier " is meant as the look of the band, and not the sound :wink: Atleast thats what i got from it.

if i cared that the music i like rocks i would go listen to bryan adams, lenny kravitz, bon jovi or shit like that

if i cared that the music i like rocks hard, i would go listen to slipknot, limp biscuit, metallica or shit like that

if i cared that the music i like is good pop/rock music, without giving a fuck about how much it rocks, i would go listen to u2... this is my case

bedouin fire said:

if i cared that the music i like is good pop/rock music, i would go listen to u2... this is my case
U2 is not pop/rock...
In my favorite online shop they're listed in "Rock/Alternative" category.
...and to be honest, with so much sounds U2 created over the years, that's what they should be described as...

/edited to add/... yes, even now! with the last 2 albums!

Last edited:
ZeroDude said:
Exit rocked, Bullets rocks, The Fly rocks, Desire rocks, Vertigo rocks, UTTEOTW rocks, Acrobat rocks, NYD rocks, I Will Follow Rocks, alot of stuff rocks
Red Rocks.

In the 80s I didn't like U2 much because I thought of them as too rocky! At that stage I preferred pop music or soft rock like Def Leppard. Fortunately I got sense.

Okay, okay... I admit that it was stupid of me to refer to the 90s as rockier. Happy? :wink: It's very strange but that's been kind of embedded in my subconcious. Around '97 when I started getting their albums, Achtung was the first one I got. Songs such as Zoo Station, Even Better, Until The End, The Fly and Acrobat seemed to rock so hard compared to stuff like With Or Without You or I Still Haven't Found that I'd only heard on MTV before that! I knew nothing of UF, Boy, October and War back then. So naturally I concluded that they rocked harder in the new decade. Pop rocks pretty damn hard too despite the quieter songs in it. So, bottomline is... it was a slip of the tongue, something that was in my subconcious I guess. :shrug:

as long as no one says that the shit they are making now (atyclb and htdaab) is rock im cool with that.

u2's current incarnation is a pop one . they are a pop band and a great one!

shaun vox said:
as long ans no one says that the shit they are making now (atyclb and htdaab) is rock im cool with that.

ATYCLB is a pop album right enough, the band pretty much said so, the current album is part pop, part rock.

bathiu said:
U2Kitten, you're also very ignorant.
Because you have to be deaf if you hear "electronica/dance sound, dance club beats," in MoFo, or anywhere on POP. You should check what realy is "electronica/dance sound, dance club beats," and you'll see a diference.
Mofo is the only song from U2 that one of my friends, a heavy-metal fan, likes. ROCK! first class!
It's not about opinion here (like in diferent POP thread) of not liking sounds that you hear. It's about your ignorance to music styles!

Name calling is not allowed here.

Please see our forum rules

http://forum.interference.com/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=5

Have you heard Miami live? Jesus, that version rocks harder than anything U2 did before they played Exit or Bullet, and that is pretty much indisputible, I think. It's awesome.

As for U2 making hard rock in 1983, give me a break. Ok, maybe that is rockign hard for you, then if that is the standard, then you think a lot of music rocks hard that I wouldn't. Sorry. I love the album War, I think SBS, NYD and other songs, Wire and so on from UF were great rock songs, and that's just it, they were cool rock songs. Nothing rockign hard about U2 in those days, U2 very rarely do, as with an expection here and there. Dirty Day was a great hard rock excursion, it's dark and it has a heavy distorted outro which was highlighted live, but it's not a hard rock song to you? I just don't speak the same language musically.

I come from the world of metal and punk, and yeah I have mellowed over the years, and I have always loved U2 and other artists that weren't in those genres, but MOFO is absolutely one of the hardest songs, if not the hardest song U2 have ever done. Just because it's a synth beat, then it's not hard? U2 used no distortion at all in the early 80's but you say they rocked hard, what is the qualification? That loud aeroplane-wail, is absolutely devastating, it's the same effect as Gone, only harder, but it doesnt qualify because it's a dance song?

Discotheque is harder than ANYTHING on Boy or October or War or UF, to me anyways, this argument can be made by whomever wants to make it, but to me, I know in my own mind what hard rock is, and I know what a metal head thinks. I play POP for my long haired cousin who listens to Fear Factory and Opeth and he agrees with my characterizations (he often likes certain U2 songs, but not all)

I agree with you that no decade of U2 rocks more than another, but some songs were harder, U2 aren't about hard rock, so it makes relaitlvely no difference to me, if I want hard rock, I am not looking for U2, I will crank in some Slayer or whatever. I think the problem is some people actually do, as if it were owed to them, for U2 to make hard rock (Shaun Vox? you listening?), just jibing you man, you get the idea.

U2 make harder songs than there other songs, which is loud folk music, it throws some folks off ;)

in this case, i think U2kitten is right.

it's why you still hear new year's day and sunday bloody sunday on classic rock stations.

Re: Re: "rockier?"

U2DMfan said:
Dirty Day was a great hard rock excursion, it's dark and it has a heavy distorted outro which was highlighted live, but it's not a hard rock song to you? I just don't speak the same language musically.

I've never once thought of the studio Dirty Day as hard at all. In fact, it almost bores me a little and I only came to seriously appreciate that song when I saw ZooTV Sydney for the first time (I now rarely listen to the studio version, though I like it, and I adore it live). I would definitely consider songs like Rejoice and Like A Song to be harder than Dirty Day. Maybe because they're more direct? I don't know.

I also think that U2 are most certainly harder live than in the studio. Arguably the best proof of that would be ZooTV Bullet or any live Exit.

"ignorant" is offensive? thought it's more like only describing someones state of mind about a subject...
"deaf" is insulting? even with those "if"s and in the context of the sentence?
:shrug: There still a lot to learn about english language then...
:wave: sorry, U2kitten, change my post to words with lesser "impact", but leave the meaning.
Mofo does have dance beats on it.
show me...

I don't claim to be an expert but the track to me sounds like Begging You by the Stone Roses, a band regularly played in Manchester dance clubs in the early '90's. Also I can hear the Stone Roses and possibly Chemical Brothers on other tracks on the album.

shaun vox said:

I agree. To be pop music is all about melodies and thats what U2 primarily do.

I was just mentioning to a friend (at least I hope hes a friend, lol) that here in Perth AC/DC are considered a pop group because of the classic pop structure of their songs. Its not an insult. Guitars can make pop music.

The 80s U2 were "rockier" than the 90s and 00's U2, in my opinion. I agree with Kitty.

bathiu said:
"ignorant" is offensive? thought it's more like only describing someones state of mind about a subject...

Yes, it is bathiu. Theres not just the dictionary defintion of the word, that particular word is considered negative. Its always an insult. Its best not to use it unless you mean to cause offense.

peace

:hug:

acdc pop hahah good one:wink:

the guitars are loud the singer fucking sings his balls off in every song no mello shit! the drumms are heavy and the the same goes for the bass!
im just about to watch acdc live dvd! i do like my rock yes i do!

Shaun, I'm curious: what constitutes 'mellow' and why is it bad? You go on about "mellow shit" and yet you once told me you like Running To Stand Still, which isn't exactly balls-to-the-wall rock.

Back
Top Bottom