"rockier?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
beli said:

Really? Usually its the Stones or The Who who are considered the Ultimate Rock Band.

Well, when I grew up, everyone knew and loved U2 ... I was shocked when I first met a U2 hater because all around me, for my entire life, people admired U2 as the high point of rock and music in general. (With the obvious exception made for the Beatles. I'm talking more in terms of active bands during my childhood.)

Axver said:

Well, when I grew up, everyone knew and loved U2 ... I was shocked when I first met a U2 hater because all around me, for my entire life, people admired U2 as the high point of rock and music in general. (With the obvious exception made for the Beatles. I'm talking more in terms of active bands during my childhood.)

Crap, Axver. I grew up on a rock, literally, and was exposed to more diverse music then you were as a child. I have never know many U2 fans.

beli said:

Crap, Axver. I grew up on a rock, literally, and was exposed to more diverse music then you were as a child. I have never know many U2 fans.

Oh, I grew up on heaps of different bands - The Shadows, Talking Heads, and Queen were probably played a whole lot more than U2 ever was, and my first ever 'favourite' song was an REM one, then a Split Enz one - but U2 were just always there, held in this incredibly high regard.

Maybe it has something to do with the One Tree Hill/living in NZ thing ...

Go to an AC/DC forum... those guys will tell you AC/DC is the geniune best Rock Band on earth....

Go to a Led Zeppelin forum.... the same...

Go to a Pink Floyd forum.... the same....

Go to a Rolling Stones forum.... the same....

the endless discussion :down:

check this list of the best seller albums from all times in the U.S. You'll be sadly surprised :reject:

http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topalbums.asp

The first Rock bands are The Eagles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and The Beatles. U2 ... roll down... ( 10 million copies: The Joshua Tree. 8 million copies: Achtung Baby, and 5 million copies: Surprise surprise... Rattle & Hum !! )

Por favor !!! I'm not saying I don't like U2 - That's the usual excuse for those ones who write posts against fans who don't like HTDAAB for example - just try to be more open minded :applaud:

shaun vox said:
as long as no one says that the shit they are making now (atyclb and htdaab) is rock im cool with that.

u2's current incarnation is a pop one . they are a pop band and a great one!

Sorry Shaun, I'm gonna ruffle your shit. Wait... ewww... :barf:

U2 have always been, in my mind, a pop-rock band, this is true on "Boy" and is true now. "Vertigo" is a pop-rock song, as is "Pride" as is "I Will Follow". Some of the biggest bands and artists ever have been pop-rock, including R.E.M., The Beatles, Elvis (both Presley and Costello), The Eagles, Green Day, etc. The sound of pop-rock does change over the years - sometimes it has more of a punk feel to it, sometimes more "pop" oriented. But these same artists have also been influential in determining what that "pop" sound is.

To me, a pure rock band is Led Zeppelin. They had but a few hit songs, and even those were rock and quite different from the pop-rock songs of their era. Metallica is a heavy rock band, with again a few hit songs. U2 does hit the heavy sounds of Zeppelin here and there (when Edge actually decides to really rip a great guitar solo, like on "Bullets..." or "Exit" or "The Fly" or "Until the End..."), but for the most part have songs that aren't as heavy as Zeppelin, but harder than something like Madonna. As such, pop-rock.

Pop-rock allows artists to have more hit songs as the music is more accessible, but they still mostly have big selling albums (ala Zeppelin and Metallica).

bathiu said:
You can see this kind of opinions because peaple are very ignorant. Yes, ignorant.
Because most, if not all debates of 80s VS 90s is actualy a UF-JT-R&H VS the 90s.
What about Boy-October-War?

When you'll take only UF, JT and R&H than yes, the 90's are more ROCK. but with the first 3 albums it's the 80's that ROCK.

U2Kitten, you're also very ignorant.
Because you have to be deaf if you hear "electronica/dance sound, dance club beats," in MoFo, or anywhere on POP. You should check what realy is "electronica/dance sound, dance club beats," and you'll see a diference.
Mofo is the only song from U2 that one of my friends, a heavy-metal fan, likes. ROCK! first class!
It's not about opinion here (like in diferent POP thread) of not liking sounds that you hear. It's about your ignorance to music styles!

Typical obnoxious attitude on this. You are not allowed to personally insult people for their opinions here. To me, it sounds like electronica. It does not sound like real rock music. I know the difference. It's all about TASTE!! It's wrong to insult someone for having different taste!

edit: thanks Sicy for telling him to check the rules, I didn't see that before I posted.

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
as long as no one says that the shit they are making now (atyclb and htdaab) is rock im cool with that.

I like it and don't call it 'shit', however, I do still hold that the 80's were the 'rockiest' of all the decades and that includes being more rockier than the 00's!

bonosgirl84 said:
in this case, i think U2kitten is right.

it's why you still hear new year's day and sunday bloody sunday on classic rock stations.

:up: That's good evidence there, and even the new 'hip' and 'modern rock' stations that target teenagers are still playing these songs along with new stuff! But you never hear classic or new rock stations playing any Pop or Zooropa tunes :tsk:

Virgin Radio over here plays Stay a few times now and again so there is hope:| just some though

80's U2 is more 'rock' but I would say that the 90's are heavier. Regardless of how you would classify the songs, Mofo, DYFL, Discotheque, HMTMKMKM, The Fly, UTEOTW, Mysterious Ways, Acrobat, and Last Night on Earth are pretty loud.

Lovetown is the heaviest tour, after listening to alot of the solo on All Along The Watch Tower owns:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

The 80's rocked in a non-challant way, the 90's rocked in an ironic way, the 00's rock in a "I'm comfortable in my own shoes way"?

Is the music still good? Is it still relevant in each decade? That's all I worry about.

U2Kitten said:

:up: That's good evidence there, and even the new 'hip' and 'modern rock' stations that target teenagers are still playing these songs along with new stuff! But you never hear classic or new rock stations playing any Pop or Zooropa tunes :tsk:

If this were true, then The Eagles, Jackson Browne and REO Speedwagon would be considered hard rock. I agree with whoever said U2 basically make pop/rock, some harder, most lighter, generally they are just in the vein of the Beatles, Helter Skelter is as hard of a song that was ever made prior to 1970, but it's not representative of the Beatles catalogue.

Generally, I think early U2 does have some rockign moments, but in terms of what my particular feel for the term is, I have never seen U2 as anything remotely hard rock, Achtung Baby is my favorite album by anyone of all time and I don't think it's hard rock, got some cool rock tunes though.

Probably a semantics arguement, probably some people think U2 are something that they have never been. I really think Bono said it best calling them a loud folk band! Hahaha, that seems to fit. But that's why they rule, hard rock is cliche, it's tiresome, I don't know why people in their 30's and 40's would continue listening to AC/DC or Metallica, when you are a kid, fueled with teen angst, okay, but I would think most people would get tired of the redundancy. I am glad U2 aren't and never were that cliche. Maybe they are boring to the rockers who still sport long hair, but that is exactly as it should be.

I am 30, and I will crank up the occasional thrash metal or punk album, but mostly I like bands playing songs that arent fueled by testosterone, because it rings hollow. To me it's the same effect as poppy teen music like Britney Spears. It's good for the moment, and has little to no endurance. Led Zeppelin made hard rock that was timeless, but I think Zepp was much more like the Beatles, than say Judas Priest. Metallica is probably the Zepp of their generation, and while, personally I thought their 80's music was brilliant, they havent been good since, redundancy. EVen if U2 is just a mere loud folk band, you cant say that every song sounds the same, even if there are people who say that, well they dont have much of a clue, eh?

'80s U2 was rock. So was '90s U2. Just because a song has some dance beats mixed in doesn't mean it isn't rock.

The reason Pop and Zooropa songs don't get played on classic rock radio is the programmers for those stations have a very narrow view of what rock music is.

I think of U2 as a rock band first and foremost who write some songs that have pop crossover appeal, like The Sweetest Thing, Stuck in a Moment, etc.

Bono's shades said:
'80s U2 was rock. So was '90s U2. Just because a song has some dance beats mixed in doesn't mean it isn't rock.

The reason Pop and Zooropa songs don't get played on classic rock radio is the programmers for those stations have a very narrow view of what rock music is.

I think of U2 as a rock band first and foremost who write some songs that have pop crossover appeal, like The Sweetest Thing, Stuck in a Moment, etc.

Exactly! You think classic rock radio is gonna play anything other than the same old recycled Streets, WOWY, Pride etc? Granted that once in a while I hear New Years Day or I Will Follow. But no way in hell are they gonna play songs from Pop or Zooropa, cos they're so different from the convention. Doesn't mean they don't rock! :huh:

Back
Top Bottom