rock song of the Year? U2 vs. Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmrhsp

Babyface
Let me start off by saying that U2 has always been my favorite band;however, I strongly believe that U2 will have major competition from coldplay for best rock song of the year.

There are two new Coldplay songs that are much better than any of the new U2 songs. Yes, I'm talking about "White Shadows" and "Fix You". Those songs are fantastic!!!! Talk about taking you for a ride!!!! Those songs are magical and they remind me a lot of the U2 classics.

In my opinion, there is no way that a "Vertigo", "COBL", or "ABOY", will be able to compete againts "White Shadows" or "Fix You".

What does everyone else think?

Fix you is a boring song.
C.Martin is always moaning, he sounds fake, what's wrong with his life, he is famous, married with an actress, etc...
Writing something sad is too easy.

Passion ? What passion ? Ireland was a third world country when U2 started to play music, there was a civil war in N.Ireland, Bono and Larry lost their mother. They wanted their revenge, they wanted to make something great.
What's Martin problem ? He loses his hair ?

jmrhsp said:

There are two new Coldplay songs that are much better than any of the new U2 songs.

Oh for the love of god. Have you heard Miracle Drug? Or City of Blinding Lights? Quite possibly two of the greatest songs I've ever heard.

Oh well, it's all subjective when it comes to U2 songs vs. Coldplay songs. Everyone's opinion is different I guess. Whatever.

Have to be careful doing a thread like that here. You will get absolutely no objectivity when it comes to U2 and Coldplay.

That said, Coldplay could very well win Rock Song. Maybe with Speed of Sound. Maybe with Fix You (if it takes off as a single). Maybe with White Shadows or Talk (if they have the sense to make either one a single).

starvinmarvin said:

Ditto U2 songs.

Are we starting this again? I am listening to Until the End of the World right now. Definitely a rock song.

OMG...what the :censored: U2 is very rock...most of there songs(The Fly, Bullet the Blue Sky , Gone)I am still not sure what Coldplay is... but do I like them, but they are a new band who is very much influenced by U2...With that said I consider Coldplay to be rock music also...they just do not have the material that U2 has, but that is not to say that they will not be as successful as U2 is in the next decade or so...:shrug:

Coldplay though very good but are one dimensional musicians. U2 however are more vivid and dynamic. Vertigo, One Step Closer, Original Of The Species all in one album.

Carmelu2fan said:
OMG...what the :censored: U2 is very rock...most of there songs(The Fly, Bullet the Blue Sky , Gone)I am still not sure what Coldplay is... but do I like them, but they are a new band who is very much influenced by U2...With that said I consider Coldplay to be rock music also...they just do not have the material that U2 has, but that is not to say that they will not be as successful as U2 is in the next decade or so...:shrug:

OK, OK, I know I went too far, but I still think that U2 is at their best when they are doing mid-tempo, epic songs (i.e. Bad, Streets, WOWY)

bsp77 said:
Have to be careful doing a thread like that here. You will get absolutely no objectivity when it comes to U2 and Coldplay.

That said, Coldplay could very well win Rock Song. Maybe with Speed of Sound. Maybe with Fix You (if it takes off as a single). Maybe with White Shadows or Talk (if they have the sense to make either one a single).

Agreed. Now, I am the biggest U2 fan there is. They will always be my favorite, but I love Coldplay too. I just don't really try to compare the two. Both bands fulfill different needs and loves of music for me. I looove the song Fix You. Sent shivers up my spine the first time I heard it.

As far as who would win. In my little area of the world, Speed of Sound is played even more than Vertigo, and unforntately SYCMIOYO is already off the airwaves and I never even really heard ABOY. We'll just have to see how the next Coldplay single does.

That being said, U2 has sold out every venue in America many times over, and I can't even unload an extra pair of really good Coldplay tickets here in Albuquerque for face value!

So it's all a toss up really. Did my post make any sense at all?:wink:

As much as I love Coldplays latest album which I think is better than U2's last 2, I have to say that Coldplay don't do Rock songs. There music is full of atmosphere and I don't think they can do a full on rock song, or a song that I would consider to be a rock song in the Vertigo vein anyway.:wink:

rjhbonovox said:
As much as I love Coldplays latest album which I think is better than U2's last 2, I have to say that Coldplay don't do Rock songs. There music is full of atmosphere and I don't think they can do a full on rock song, or a song that I would consider to be a rock song in the Vertigo vein anyway.:wink:

Here are some Coldplay songs that I think are rock. Granted they are not hard rock or RAWK (neither is U2 with maybe a couple exceptions), but they all have a propulsive driving sound.

Only Superstition
Bigger Stronger
Shiver
Yellow (at least the guitar is)
Politik
God Put a Smile on Your Face
Daylight
A Whisper
The One I Love
Moses
Square One
White Shadows
Talk (more of an anthem, but the guitar is great)
Low

rjhbonovox said:
As much as I love Coldplays latest album which I think is better than U2's last 2

Is that because Coldplay blatently ripped-off (in no particular order):

Pink Floyd,
The Beatles,
U2,
Kratfwork,
Radiohead.

No one's original, but X&Y is so unoriginal it's funny.

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot. :wink:

What is this about Coldplay, they are rubbish. Chris Martin whines and moans through his songs, he is a poor singer with very limited vocal range. I'd rather listen to Radiohead all day, at least Thom Yorke has some range and can instill some power into his vocals i.e. on the The Bends and OK Computer.

I can't understand their popularity, all of their songs sound the same and they will never be as dynamic and as varied as U2 have been and still are. There is no comparison between the two.

I think you should compare Coldplay to bands like Keane, Snow Patrol, Travis, Stereophonics, Interpol etc. They are more on their level, some are better than others, but none of them will ever be 'great bands' or produce the same calibre of songs as bands like U2.

I still don't understand the whole euphoria surrounding Coldplay, as I know so many people who really hate them as there music is bland and boring.

There is not a single song in x&y that can surpass the quality of the songs of htdaab.

I think Coldplay has a lot of potential and Chris Martin has a gift for pop songcraft but I wish would figure out that his falsetto loses it's appeal when he uses it on some of his sappiest lyrics.

White Shadows is a perfectly decent song but I think I liked it better the first time I heard it when it was called 11 O'clock tick-tock.

I don't think either band has written the song of the year. "My Doorbell" by the White Stripes kills both of them.

Thanksandy said:
What is this about Coldplay, they are rubbish. Chris Martin whines and moans through his songs, he is a poor singer with very limited vocal range. I'd rather listen to Radiohead all day, at least Thom Yorke has some range and can instill some power into his vocals i.e. on the The Bends and OK Computer.

I can't understand their popularity, all of their songs sound the same and they will never be as dynamic and as varied as U2 have been and still are. There is no comparison between the two.

I think you should compare Coldplay to bands like Keane, Snow Patrol, Travis, Stereophonics, Interpol etc. They are more on their level, some are better than others, but none of them will ever be 'great bands' or produce the same calibre of songs as bands like U2.

I still don't understand the whole euphoria surrounding Coldplay, as I know so many people who really hate them as there music is bland and boring.

^agreed

Fix you?? :huh: Are you serious? I don't see how Coldplay keep performing that song as if it were the second coming. It sucks. It's even worse than "The Scientist" ...and that's saying something. Completely boring and it doesn't even have a chorus. It's terrible.

roy said:

Is that because Coldplay blatently ripped-off (in no particular order):

Pink Floyd,
The Beatles,
U2,
Kratfwork,
Radiohead.

No one's original, but X&Y is so unoriginal it's funny.

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot. :wink:

Hey your not THE Roy of the Rovers?:wink:

Back
Top Bottom