rock song of the Year? U2 vs. Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SiW87 said:

I agree partially with your point. I actually like X&Y, but I absolutely love HTDAAB and think that overall it is a better album, but we all have our opinions. It is subjective. But like you said, the highlights on HDAAB are just outstanding. :up:

And you're right, Coldplay is just a lot of hype.

For all the people that say Coldplay is all hype, there are many people out there who say the same about the current U2.

It's all about personal opinions and preferences, which don't mean shite to anyone except to the people who express them.

signed
Devil's Advocate

The OOTS said:

Never said they were the best. But, they don't go claiming that they are in front of the world either....like some bands...which is kinda of my point.

How many videos have they made from their last 3 albums? How many has U2 made?

How many pop, mainstream albums has Pearl Jam made in the last 10 years?

And, what album are they supporting for their summer tour?

Video's are not very relevant in this day and age because MTV rarely if ever plays them. So the decision not to make any video's has no real effect on popularity since such video's would be rarely seen anyways, unless your up at 3 am watching the music channel.

How Many pop, mainstream albums has Pearl Jam made in the last 10 years? I would say none, just like U2. Pop, mainstream is typified by Britney Spears, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, Eminem, 50 Cent, Linkin Park etc. Neither U2 or Pearl Jam produce albums that sound like those artist.

I believe Pearl Jam have a new album in the works, and touring Canada could serve to help album sales in Canada once the album is finally released.

The OOTS said:

Never said they were the best. But, they don't go claiming that they are in front of the world either....like some bands...which is kinda of my point.

How many videos have they made from their last 3 albums? How many has U2 made?

How many pop, mainstream albums has Pearl Jam made in the last 10 years?

And, what album are they supporting for their summer tour?

couldn't agree more.

By the way, I have 2 killer tickets for Coldplay in Albuquerque on the 24th if anyone wants them. :wink:

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
coldplay are a bunch of pussies lol some one had to say it lol :wink:

brilliant. the baseline intelligence of this board is overwhelming at some points. :wink:

Last edited:
to be honest both bands U2 and Coldplay musically are not influental/experimental these days. the sad thing about U2 is, that they were influental and experimental and set the standard for some othe bands in the past.

coldplay never ever was in some way influental and experimental. the're just lukewarm, boring and overrated:down:

heyheyeheyeheheheeyeheyeheyehey

You know who likes Coldplay?

Me! :dancing:

tss tss tss tss tss
you know who doesn't like Coldplay?
ME!:rockon:
coldplay are a bunch of eclectic wankers:down::down::down:

we need mor rockers!:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Last edited:
I SAID PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE,

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE,

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE,

COME BACK AND SING TO ME.

uno, dos, tres, catorce.

a mole, diggin in a hole, diggin on my soul.

In this love song, love love song, love song, hey, hey, love won´t find find its own way home

They are not all golden nuggets of truth.
:wink:

STING2 said:

Video's are not very relevant in this day and age because MTV rarely if ever plays them. So the decision not to make any video's has no real effect on popularity since such video's would be rarely seen anyways, unless your up at 3 am watching the music channel.

How Many pop, mainstream albums has Pearl Jam made in the last 10 years? I would say none, just like U2. Pop, mainstream is typified by Britney Spears, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, Eminem, 50 Cent, Linkin Park etc. Neither U2 or Pearl Jam produce albums that sound like those artist.

I believe Pearl Jam have a new album in the works, and touring Canada could serve to help album sales in Canada once the album is finally released.

I would say that videos and radio play (keys to mainstream success) launch many new artists everyday....and very much a part of U2's resurgence. Bands and record companies would not invest so much money into videos if they didn't feel it helped with exposure. That's a lot of money and time thrown away on something irrelevant.

I would also say that ATYCLB is very much a pop mainstream album, and to a certain point, HTDAAB. Look how Vertigo was introduced to the public....through a high profile TV commercial....and most certainly to grab the attention of a younger, pop-listeneing demographic.

Last edited:
Well when I'm my computer, I'm in my room, which is my place. So I guess you can say I'm in my place.

I only a few days ago found out it was a Coldplay song

:wink:

The OOTS said:
^^ Don't mess with Pearl Jam.

They do more for their fans then any other band in the world. They are musicians first and foremost. Just because they don't make radio friendly pop music, doesn't mean they haven't lasted (thus their Sold Out Canadian Tour with no new album released). PJ, to their credit, don't try to be popular.

Plus, they are a excellent live act.

I like Pearl Jam too, Oasis a lot, and Coldplay toa certain extentI was just using examples

My favorite Coldplay songs from the new album are Swallowed in the Sea and Kingdom Come, because they don't have any falsetto and sound like they're trying to sound different from the other 11 tracks.

Last edited:
U2's new album isn't that great, I prefer Coldplay's new album more.

Coldplay has written some great quality songs on "X&Y" and some of those songs remind me of U2.

I think How to Dismantle... great, and is totally better than X&Y, and Oasis's new album is way better than X&Y but a notch below HTDAAB

As for the Grammy's, and forgive me if this has already been pointed out, Vertigo already cleaned up last year for Best Rock Song and the other awards for which it was nominated.

So, that leaves ABOY and COBL (doubtful that Sometimes would be considered) to be put up against those Coldplay "rock" songs.

I'm a Coldplay fan, even you could say I was a big one before with "Rush of blood" and "Parachutes." This new album bores me too much, there are some good songs put together but no really great ones imo.

"Fix You" is very good and my favorite off the album. I think "speed of sound" is sooo boring and is pretty awful, actually. I dont understand how some coldplay fans say this album is better than the last one....there arent any songs off it that TOUCH "clocks" or "the scientist".

HTDAAB is a better album.

i like coldplay...i like them a bunch; however, they do not come close to U2...no chance in hell is fix you or white shadows better than anything off of bomb, imo

I like coldplay, but ffs, is their stuff ever boring on the new album. It makes me want to drown kittens.

Cooper2000 said:
I like coldplay, but ffs, is their stuff ever boring on the new album. It makes me want to drown kittens.

i feel the same way. i was disappointed with the new album, rush of blood was so much better....

again, i think these u2/coldplay comparisons are dumb. i think its only happening because coldplay is the only competetor u2 really has, that i can think of....

explorer said:

i feel the same way. i was disappointed with the new album, rush of blood was so much better....

again, i think these u2/coldplay comparisons are dumb. i think its only happening because coldplay is the only competetor u2 really has, that i can think of....

Yes, partly, but mainly because Chris Martin does such a fine job of provoking it with all his hilarious statements.

guill said:
Fix you is a boring song.
C.Martin is always moaning, he sounds fake, what's wrong with his life, he is famous, married with an actress, etc...
Writing something sad is too easy.

Boring??? I think it's great. Lyrically on the simplistic side, I still think the release at the end is superb and ultimately makes the song.

I agree with you...

But even though we say it's not... There are obvious similarities in the career steps Coldplay is taking in comparison to U2, and in the albums (more in the latest...).
I have to admit that I used to hate Coldplay for its 75%-mellow-songs albums, and when I heard X&Y and recognized too much sounds, basslines and riffs... it just made me sick. But I bought the album and now I have to confess that is one of the best albums I have heard. The plagiarium thing (abusive) and the way they combined with their new sound and the experimental thing sounds great. And the commercial career strategy is there... on the album. So lets see if you can find the similarities...

Square One - my fav in the album, and sounds great as the album opener... I hope it rocks live. But there's something in that song that puts myself into "Last night on Earth", probably the guitar.
What If - when I heard it for the first time... some chords reminded me "Kite"...
White Shadows - the first to accuse the mid-80's-U2 influence... that chorus riff...
Fix You - Well, I used to hate this song... but that I will follow-esque riff at the end made me change my opinion. This was made for stadiums, the effect can be ressemblable to "Where the streets have no name" (synth+explosion guitar riff+synth). They could at least change the synthetizers part... Looks like a funeral organ...
Talk - I just love the song, but I'm kinda disapointed with the final version... the demo one was nearly their best song...! Ok, the riff is the same one in "Computer love" (thet only reminds me my father's vinyl's eheheh), but it fits very well there... very intelligent
X&Y - good lyrics... I like it... a very typical Coldplay song with the exception of the guitar... to much The Edge
Speed Of Sound - Good choice as the first single, but I think that the similarities with "Clocks" are only present in the bassline... The song is sightly different
A Message - Cool... I like it... But I've heard this before... I just don't know where...
Low - The Unforgettable Fire: have you ever heard this album?
The Hardest Part - Looks like a funny song at first, but I don't think it's so weak as many says
Swallowed In The Sea - Another typical Coldplay song. Sound nice.
Twisted logic - I just can say thet the pre-chorus part is amazing... Cool!
Till Kingdom Come - What a decepcion! First: looks like a demo. Second: U2 have already wrote a song for Johnny Cash 12 years ago - unoriginal. Third: the lyrics are a mixture of The Joshua Tree's lyrics. Fourth: The synthethizer screams "Where the streets have no name" and this is a pressage to its next album, I guess

Yep, my favourite line in your post: ....12 years ago - unoriginal.

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom