Rock and roll hall of fame question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
U2 is allegible next year, but who else is their competition to be inducted?
I know REM, Red hot chili peppers, Bon Jovi have similar time of career...

I don't think REM will be eligible until year after next.

I have no idea when the Red Hot Chili Peppers debuted. I think they have been around close to 20 years, but you have to be around for 25 years before you get in.

If Bon Jovi gets in, the entire RRHOF is invalidated. :|

I don't think anyone has to worry about U2 not getting in during their first year of eligibility. They are a shoe-in. I believe the following acts could be likely co-inductees with U2:

The Pretenders
Patti Smith
The Sex Pistols
John Mellencamp

Last edited:
Yeah, R.E.M.'s first album came out in 1983, but "Chronic Town" came out in '82 I do believe. But I don't know if that makes them eligible.

I thought they'd be eligible in 05 :confused: Boy came out in 80, I don't think u23 counts. Am I wrong?

Anyhow I don't think there is any doubt they'll make it in their first year of eligibility; shit, they are already better represented there than most of those already officially inducted!:lmao:

BTW I never heard a thing from the RHCP before 88, and in their liner notes of their greatest hits which I got for Christmas they state that the band was formed in 83, so no way are they eligible next year. As for REM, it doesn't matter, more than one band is chosen each time! Remember Aerosmith and Queen came in the same year, why not U2 and REM? ;)

Just because you're eligible for nomination doesn't mean you're going to be a nominee or inductee. The Righteous Brothers were inducted this year, 16 years after first being eligible. The Beatles, on the other hand, were inducted their first year of eligibility. Not only do you compete with newly eligible artists, but also all those artists who have nominated but not inducted in the past like Black Sabbath and the Sex Pistols.

Though it's true not everyone is nominated as soon as their time is up, U2 is a different story and a special case. They are already well represented in the museum, from what I saw when I was there even more so than many of the offical inductees, and ignoring them would be not only unreasonable but stupid for business. They are also friendly and especially close to those who matter. Bono has been active and has inducted many others. I would bet anything and even guarantee it- U2 WILL be inducted on the first ballot.

BTW Bon Jovi did not record until 1982. So with RHCP and Bon Jovi not in their year class, who is? I really, REALLY don't think anyone will be coming up who can even begin to challenge their supremacy at the Hall. And, as I said before, more than one popular band get in each year.

That's true dsmith2904.. on the other hand how many groups have actually had an exhibit run in the RHOF for the majority of any given year? :shrug: Think I'll try to find some info on that.
Don't know, but seems it would make a difference. (to me that is):heart:

Though it's true not everyone is nominated as soon as their time is up, U2 is a different story and a special case. They are already well represented in the museum, from what I saw when I was there even more so than many of the offical inductees, and ignoring them would be not only unreasonable but stupid for business. They are also friendly and especially close to those who matter. Bono has been active and has inducted many others. I would bet anything and even guarantee it- U2 WILL be inducted on the first ballot.

BTW Bon Jovi did not record until 1982. So with RHCP and Bon Jovi not in their year class, who is? I really, REALLY don't think anyone will be coming up who can even begin to challenge their supremacy at the Hall. And, as I said before, more than one popular band get in each year.

That's true dsmith2904.. on the other hand how many groups have actually had an exhibit run in the RHOF for the majority of any given year? :shrug: Think I'll try to find some info on that.
Don't know, but seems it would make a difference. (to me that is):heart:

I totally understand that as well, but nothing's a sure thing. Definitely U2 has had the biggest career, greatest longevity, impact and all that of most bands that came out when they did, but U2 isn't just competing with bands whose first album came out in 1980, U2 is competing with bands of their caliber whose albums came out between like 1950 and 1980. I would be surprised if U2 didn't get in first thing, but Kiss isn't in, Black Sabbath isn't in, the Sex Pistols aren't in, Carole King isn't in as a singer, Tina Turner isn't in as a solo artist, so there's still quite a but of deserving artists for U2 to contend with.

Yes it is true they are competing with all those of the past too and not just 1980. But I still think that the Hall would look ridiculous not taking them right away considering how much of their stuff is already there. Since no one else much noteworthy came out in 80, they will likely take U2 and one of those older left behind bands. And I would bet money on it.

dsmith2904 said:
Not only do you compete with newly eligible artists, but also all those artists who have nominated but not inducted in the past like Black Sabbath and the Sex Pistols.

Yeah and look at this years inductees its kinda weak imo. I'm hopeful that U2 will get right in but if they don't lets all try and remain calm.

Back
Top Bottom