Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony is coming up, I saw an ad on Vh1. This year, they are inducting The Ramones. Do you think they'll ask Bono to make a speech? I know he's done it before, and he's certainly made it clear that he's a fan of the band.

Also, when do you think U2 will be inducted? I know there was just a thread about this, but how long do you think they should wait? Surely, U2 is more then qualified to enter now, but why induct when they're still alive and kicking? On the other hand, you don't want to wait too long. (If the Hall of Fame had been 2 years ahead of themselves, all the Ramones would have been able to attend the ceremony.)

Opinions?...

------------------
The Irish been coming here for years. Feels like they own the place.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is my album of the year! :p

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

I imagine that U2 will be inducted as soon as they are eligable. This is from the official Rock n' Roll hall of fame webpage:
Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist?s contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The question remains though. What constitute's a record. If U2-3 counts then we can see U2 inducted as early as September of 2004. If we have to wait until Boy is 25 years then that won't be until October of 2005!!!

------------------
***Spinny***
"OH, SINNY- er,um- SPINNY!" (freudian slip?)-JulyFly

"Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly
Could it be he's taken over me????
"

I hope Bono's more sober than the Chris Blackwell induction speech. Sheesh, the boy was tanked!
rolleyes.gif

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

Keys, Jewel To Present Inductees

By Glenn Gamboa
Staff Writer

March 6, 2002, 7:18 PM EST

Alicia Keys, fresh from perfecting her Grammy acceptance speeches, needs to
practice her "Can you dig it?? now that she's signed on to induct the
super-fly Isaac Hayes into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

Jewel, who will induct "Little Miss Dynamite? Brenda Lee, and the
Wallflowers' Jakob Dylan, who will present Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
with rock music's highest honor, are also on board for the March 18 ceremony
at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, according to Suzan Evans, executive director
of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation.

Evans won't disclose who is set to induct the rest of the 2002 class -- The
Ramones, Talking Heads, Gene Pitney, Stax Records co-founder Jim Stewart and
guitarist Chet Atkins. Insiders expect Rock Hall induction fave and Ramones'
booster Bono of U2 to be tapped to honor the punks from Forest Hills.

One surprise Evans can confirm, though, is the reunion of Talking Heads, who
will perform together at the ceremony for the first time in 14 years.

The Rock Hall inductions will be broadcast on VH1 at 9 p.m. March 20.

We will just have to wait and see if Bono will be the one inducting the Ramones.

By the way, it thought is odd that someone like Alicia Keys, being a newcomer to the music scene, would be asked to induct someone like Isaac Hayes who is a legend in his field of music. I just thought they would pick someone who was closer as far as being influenced and was a close friend of the artist.

Chris

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
The question remains though. What constitute's a record. If U2-3 counts then we can see U2 inducted as early as September of 2004. If we have to wait until Boy is 25 years then that won't be until October of 2005!!!

Sorry, Spinny, U2-3 doesn't constitute as a record. Only Boy does. So, it'll have to be 2005.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
Sorry, Spinny, U2-3 doesn't constitute as a record. Only Boy does. So, it'll have to be 2005.

Thanks. I guess that answers our question then. The boys will be inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame in 2005!!

From USA Today:

Young rockers to welcome inductees

By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY

Pop stars will once again pay homage to their predecessors on March 18, when
the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame holds its 17th annual induction dinner at the
Waldorf-Astoria in New York.

At the event, which will air on VH1 March 20 at 9 p.m. ET/PT, performers and
presenters are set to include recent Grammys champ Alicia Keys, who will induct
soul legend Isaac Hayes; Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, inducting seminal New York
punk band The Ramones
; Wallflowers frontman Jakob Dylan, ushering in Tom
Petty and The Heartbreakers; and Red Hot Chili Peppers Anthony Kiedis and
John Frusciante, welcoming Talking Heads.

Singer/songwriter Jewel and girl-group survivor Darlene Love will respectively do
the honors for celebrated crooner Brenda Lee and '60s minstrel Gene Pitney, and
Brian Setzer and Marty Stuart will salute Nashville icon Chet Atkins.

Performances are to include Green Day covering The Ramones, in addition to the
all-star jam that traditionally caps the evening.

Originally posted by madonna's child:
So, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony is coming up, I saw an ad on Vh1. This year, they are inducting The Ramones. Do you think they'll ask Bono to make a speech? I know he's done it before, and he's certainly made it clear that he's a fan of the band.

Also, when do you think U2 will be inducted? I know there was just a thread about this, but how long do you think they should wait? Surely, U2 is more then qualified to enter now, but why induct when they're still alive and kicking? On the other hand, you don't want to wait too long. (If the Hall of Fame had been 2 years ahead of themselves, all the Ramones would have been able to attend the ceremony.)

Opinions?...

Sorry...Eddie Vedder is going to induct the Ramones. Anthony Keidis and John Frusciante of the RHCP are going to induct the Talking Heads. These are great choices and I am EXTREMELY happy that Eddie is going to have some exposure for a change. He is an excellent speaker.

However, I am a little surprised that Bono is not going to induct the Ramones. I think that his speeches are by far the most provacative(although, a little long and drunk!). Then again, I think Bono and the band need to get out of the spotlight(in the US) for awhile, so I am happy with this choice.

FYI: Green Day wil be jamming w/ the Ramones.

I am curious to see what you guys think of this.....

Originally posted by MBH:
However, I am a little surprised that Bono is not going to induct the Ramones. I think that his speeches are by far the most provacative(although, a little long and drunk!). Then again, I think Bono and the band need to get out of the spotlight(in the US) for awhile, so I am happy with this choice

Yeah, it's too bad, but they probably don't want the same people two years in a row, and Bono, having just returned to Ireland, probably doesn't want to turn around and fly all the way back to New York next week.

Originally posted by Autumn454:
I am surprised! The Ramones and The Talking Heads were such a huge influence on U2 and a help to them. I can't believe Bono, as much as he inducts, is not doing one of those. He must have planned to go off politicing that week or something, it's not like him not to show.

Eddie Vedder is a good choice. He's a big fan and played with them at their last show. At least Bono got to give them the MTV award...

Mtv didn't give the Ramones shit. Bono gave them U2's award.

Thanks for the info, guys.
smile.gif

------------------
The Irish been coming here for years. Feels like they own the place.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is my album of the year! :p

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

I am surprised! The Ramones and The Talking Heads were such a huge influence on U2 and a help to them. I can't believe Bono, as much as he inducts, is not doing one of those. He must have planned to go off politicing that week or something, it's not like him not to show.

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~

Back
Top Bottom