Rework your own POP album!!!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2006, 08:41 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:27 AM
I'm share U2's opinion. Of course I love the album and just how is it, but despite being huuuuge, Pop it's not perfect. I understand them when they wanted to push the art even further, and I believe that if they had just a little more weeks to polish and to rework what they had already, it could have been even better than what we know.

If Pop was to be released in May, for instance, a tracklist like this one could've serve.

1. Discotheque - as it is, as we know it, because the 'new mix' is good for giving another perspective, but... it's not the original one
2. Do You Feel Loved - this is my favourite track and one of my favourite U2 songs, so no need to explain anything
3. MoFo - I think that the album version is great and it's fine in the album, but the band could've made a 'single version', and then we'd have a studio recording similar to what they used to play live
4. IGWSHA - the 'single version' is sightly better, more structured, more cohesive and a better ending. The stronger bass in the re-recording gives more emotion and intensity
5. Staring At The Sun - 'new mix' made it bad, the album version is cool as it is, I just think that a bit longer ending with fade-out effect could make it even better
6. Last Night On Earth - the 'single version' explains why this song is so good, and it improved what's on the album
7. Gone - although I like the 'new mix' too, it changed the essence of the album version that I think is brilliant. Maybe the 'new mix' could function as a 'sinlge version' in a possible releasement, showing another face of the song
8. Miami - no changes needed. Despite it's not a favourite of mine, it fits in the album as it is
9. The Playboy Mansion - this is the song I put in the bottom of the ranking, but if U2 always intended to include this in the album, it would be with no changes. So it stays.
10. ...Velvet Dress - I love the live version but the album version goes very well after Playboy Mansion and it's cool in that place in the album
11. Please - the album version is very poor IMO. If they were hurried, at least they could have made a better bassline in the right key. Contrasting with this, the 'single version' is great because it captures well some feeling of the live version, and that's what it should have been in the album
12. Wake Up Dead Man - no chamges at all, this song is beautiful, and there's no other way to end this piece of art.

This is just a supposition of that POP could have been if U2 was not hurried and if it was released a few months later, without pressions. This way it would be the greatest thing...

The b-sides are good: Holy Joe is a great song, but I don't think that the "Garage Mix" designation was needed because it sounds like the original and the "Guilty mix" as the... mix.
Good backup of Your Blue Room as b-side that gave another chance to appreciate the song.
North And South Of The River is beautiful. but Bono's vocals seem made in one cut and the version played in Omagh Tribute suplants the studio one.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #22
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:27 PM
1. Mofo *
2. Discotheque
3. Last Night on Earth *
4. If God Will Send His Angels (Single)
5. Staring at the Sun
6. Gone *
7. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
8. Miami
9. Do You Feel Loved
10. The Playboy Mansion
11. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
12. North and South of the River
13. Please *
14. Wake Up Dead Man

1* - The remix Pop Muzik builds and builds until it reaches its peak and blasts into Mofo, "Move me a mountain" outro

3* - PopMart-style vocal intro, extended solo that fades/drifts into IGWSHA

6* - Mixed like the album version, Edge's backing vocals during the chorus

13* - Single version without the strings, keeps Adam's bassline from the album version

That's my perfect POP, what do you think?

Old 09-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room

Well, technically its not even U2, half of U2 (Bono and Larry). It was recorded in 1995 or 96 and released in 97. So its the same time frame. I just thought/think it ended that disc perfectly.
ah. that's right. either way, it fits your tracklist very well.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:20 AM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Friends ,

Question : wasn`t the song Big Girls Are The Best also from the POP sessions?
I know it`s a b-side from Stuck but it sounds way to much POP than ATYCLB.

Does anyone know?

Cheers ,

Mauwer
Old 09-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm surprised that after so many POP apreciation threads, this thread is a bit unpopular againat it, and against the preferences of this forum... It's very suspicious
Old 09-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mauwer
Friends ,

Question : wasn`t the song Big Girls Are The Best also from the POP sessions?
I know it`s a b-side from Stuck but it sounds way to much POP than ATYCLB.

Does anyone know?

Cheers ,

Mauwer
It is from the POP sessions.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:42 AM   #27
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:27 PM
keep it as is, except maybe extend the boom chas on discotheque so disc 1 is just discotheque with like 70 minutes of boom chas, and disc 2 is the rest of the original album.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #28
War Child

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room

It is from the POP sessions.
Thanks Blue Room ,

Cheers ,

Mauwer
Old 09-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #29
you are what you is

Local Time: 04:27 AM
the potential for it to be near to their best albums is there

that alone depresses me too much to rework it
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
keep it as is, except maybe extend the boom chas on discotheque so disc 1 is just discotheque with like 70 minutes of boom chas, and disc 2 is the rest of the original album.
I like the way you're thinking

Along with extended boom chas, I'd rework the lyrics in Last Night On Earth. It's probably not an original thought, but if you insert Bono as the protagonist in the song, instead of the mysterious 'she' that he could be writing behind, the song becomes instantly punchier and more personal: I'm living like it's the last night on earth.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:15 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

I like the way you're thinking

Along with extended boom chas, I'd rework the lyrics in Last Night On Earth. It's probably not an original thought, but if you insert Bono as the protagonist in the song, instead of the mysterious 'she' that he could be writing behind, the song becomes instantly punchier and more personal: I'm living like it's the last night on earth.
You know... I always thought that way too... It'd give more mysticism if the third female person was replaced by a first person. Not to say, that it'd sound even better...