Revelation! Does anybody else see this happening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
80s: They were earnest and serious for the most part.

90s: They made fun of their 80s image.

00s: They wear their heart on their sleeves and are serious for the most part.

10s: They do a total 180 and make fun of the 00s image.

I don't think they've been as serious lately as they were in the 80s. Not by a long shot. If you're wondering (or hoping) that they will do another Achtung Baby/ ZooTV type thing, I wouldn't count on it. They're a little too mature for that. But I could be totally wrong, which I usually am when it comes to U2 predictions. :shrug:

It'll only happen if Bono's satisfied enough with the G8's progress with Africa that he's able to stop bothering them. Any sooner and he loses credibility and becomes a huge hypocrite in the eyes of the masses that don't "get" what he's doing.

But, god I would love it if that happened.

U2 is about progression.

That would be regression.

Just the same, that would be really really cool! :hyper:

Rachel D. said:
If you're wondering (or hoping) that they will do another Achtung Baby/ ZooTV type thing, I wouldn't count on it. They're a little too mature for that.

No. I don't mean an Achtung/Zoo thing. They could totally make fun of their heartwarming image without going all zoo-experimental on us. Not that I'm hoping for something like that to take place. But I would just find it amusing if it happened. After all the years of posts saying OMG Bono has become a caricature of himself. He's become the big rock star he mocked during Zoo TV blah blah. What if it's all an act? What if everything they ever did was an act! Many people already see them as hypocrites for what they did with Achtung Baby. I wonder how it would be if they did turn around and did something like that again!

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Any sooner and he loses credibility and becomes a huge hypocrite in the eyes of the masses that don't "get" what he's doing.

He already is a hypocrite in the eyes of those who think they sold out after Rattle & Hum.

LemonMelon said:
Who thinks that Achtung is a sell-out record? :eyebrow:

My old roommate does. :grumpy: I'm not sure about sell out but the album didn't sit well with many people that followed them thru the 80s. Cos they turned around and made fun of their own image in the 80s. But also, some people think they sold out with all the zoo tv coverage and new image and stuff.

Zootlesque said:

My old roommate does. :grumpy: I'm not sure about sell out but the album didn't sit well with many people that followed them thru the 80s. Cos they turned around and made fun of their own image in the 80s. But also, some people think they sold out with all the zoo tv coverage and new image and stuff.

Irony is lost on such people, and they should not be in any place to judge what is "selling out" and what is not. :grumpy:

well is it too late for a mid life crisis album/tour, or was that HTDAAB and the vertigo tour?

Personally i have always sort of been in awe of them, i mean they constantly change even if it has been less so in the last few years. They always seem to have a the intensity, and even if one doesnt like their current particular project you have to admit they do "bring it" in their performances. So, as artists, i am very much in awe of them. I can respect that they grow up a bit and some might say they have mellowed.

They have been doing this shit for a long time. Im just glad to still have them around.

I appreciate the 90's stuff now more than ever, even if it was a bit odd for me when it was actually going on. During the 90's i was still stuck on the 80's but each step of the way i find what i do like about them at the time and it seems to work pretty well with what i like from the past. So i guess the future ought to be pretty good.

xaviMF22 said:
as my idiot friend once said HTDAAB is a pussy record :wink:

:tsk: Bun is flattered.

And so is this guy:

th_LetsDoCoke.jpg

I think those looking for a major image change will be disappointed. The band are pushing 50 and only recently got comfortable in their own skin.

LemonMelon said:

Who thinks that Achtung is a sell-out record? :eyebrow:

Many did, when it came out. You think the ATYCLB backlash was bad, the AB backlash would have been the same if not worse if the internet was as prevelant back then.

Mrs. Garrison said:

you dont know.

Exactly! Some of us here seem to forget that we only know what the media tells us. And what U2 themselves say and project themselves to be. It could all be a show. So ya thought ya might like to go to the show to feel the warm thrill of confusion, the space cadet glow. ;)

Actually i suppose you could take a lot from the music, way more than what the media tells you. But from the fan perspective it could be a million different outcomes. Do i remember correctly wasn't Miracle Drug supposed to be about a boy who wrote a book about poetry or something? With a title like MD and Bono's work to shore up funding for AIDS victims in Africa, along with some of the lyrics, i would have thought otherwise.

:shrug: I've always thought that HTDAAB was one of the most personal U2 records to date. Perhaps a little bit too personal. I think the band is getting more comfortable about opening up and putting their feelings on record these days. Does that mean we should take the music at face value? Not necessarily. But that doesn't mean we should cynically reject the possibility that it is indeed a road map to their souls.

Wait a second?

People here don't actually get most of their feelings from listening to the music?

The media means that much to people?

I'm flabbergasted and disappointed, but actually, not really surprised, it makes sense.

LemonMelon said:
:shrug: I've always thought that HTDAAB was one of the most personal U2 records to date. Perhaps a little bit too personal. I think the band is getting more comfortable about opening up and putting their feelings on record these days. Does that mean we should take the music at face value? Not necessarily. But that doesn't mean we should cynically reject the possibility that it is indeed a road map to their souls.

never seen it that way....

ATYCLB is far more personal than HTDAAB...whatever that means...

To me, All That You Can't Leave Behind is about going places, trying to find who you are while avoiding everything.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is getting there and dealing with everything you've been trying to avoid (love, relationships, war, loss), it is arguably the band's most personal record besides Pop, but that's another story.

I just had a revelation! I think How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is not a very accurate title considering the album's material. Take a minute and let that one sink in.

Back
Top Bottom