"Retired" Songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I Move in Mysterious Ways

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I was looking through the post on what people would and would rather not hear on the next tour, and it got me to thinking about some of the songs they haven't played in a while. Do you think there are any songs that U2 just won't play again -- ever? I suppose they could resurrect just about any song through a snippet, but can you see them busting out a full-blown version of Zoo Station or Two Hearts for the next tour? You also have to wonder if Bono can actually sing some of these long-dormant song as effectively as he used to -- what would Gloria sound like now?

On the other hand, are there any songs that you think could be due for a comeback?

Hello,

After the last tour I think there are less songs I think U2 have retired (who would have thought they'd play 11 O'Clock Tick Tock or Out Of Control and maybe also The Fly again?). Still, I think there are many songs we would probably never hear again. This includes much of their first albums (Stories For Boys, Shadows And Tall Trees, Twilight, With A Shout, I Fall Down, Fire), but also later songs (Silver And Gold). Somehow, I can imagine hearing Zoo Station or Two Hearts Beat As One again (and I'd love to hear Love Is Blindness again), but I think they never again play the songs I've mentioned before.

C ya!

Marty

Like a Song...

Well, most of their "oldies" like Electric Co. were replaced by larger more ambient songs like Where the Streets Have No Name. I don't think we'll hear songs like those again, because of the large audiences U2 plays for now.

If you're lucky enough to see a club gig, you might see Stories For Boys or Gloria. Those club set lists tend to be fashioned more towards the hardcore fan; in that setting U2 is more concerned with having fun than reaching a more casual audience who want to hear "all the hits."

i'm sure all of october has been pretty much retired since i can't remember when was the last time they played any of those songs live. i also remember reading (in the lyrics section of interference, ironically) that they apparantely don't do gloria anymore (it was mentioned in the uabrs video review), but the writer alluded to the fact that we know why. i don't! :sad:

plus, i'd say all the older non-single songs have been as well. notice all the older songs they play are hits. i'm not saying that's a bad thing, i'm just saying i wouldn't expect them to bust out "surrender" or "shadows and tall trees" nowadays.

i think most of the 80's songs could be pulled up whenever they felt like it, but some of their 90's stuff was more "about the moment" ya know?

like you said, zoo station, i dont think theyd play that again cause that was all about zootv. but then again, they played the fly last tour and i could have sworn they would never have touched it again.

who knows?

khanada, i dont think they would play gloria again because of the over-obvious religous tone. thats what i read anyway.

i would love for them to play Exit, Love Is Blindness, have Edge whip out Van Diemen's Land here and there, and get some MLK and October tacked on at the end of some songs. Or at the beginning as a segueway into All I Want Is You or Bullet the Blue Sky.

It was a staple on the War and Unforgettable Fire tours.

I think most of their songs are retired, though; we'll mostly hear the same old songs ("Until the End of the World," "With or Without You"), with some pleasant surprises ("The Fly," "11 O'Clock Tick Tock") now and then.

I doubt we'll ever hear "Mofo" again. As the intro to the PopMart concerts, it was PERFECT. But I can't hear it fitting into anything else but PopMart.

I suppose they could totally revamp the song, but I can't see it. It strikes me as one of those songs that works great in its original style, but that's about it.

Really? I thought the Pop version of "Mofo," the way they played it live, and the beats-driven Phunk Phorce mix were each very different (I love the alternate vocal on that remix).

I think they should retire everything except that which was recorded during the years 1987 and 1991.

that's all.

I think Two Hearts Beat As One will be back since it was a single in Europe, and went top 10 I think in the UK.

I'm hoping some more stuff off Unforgettable Fire gets played again, mainly Wire.

id be really happy if they threw in love is blindness and 40 now and then.

am i correct in remembering that they:

1) rehearsed love is blindness for the elevation tour

2) closed out the london astoria pre-elevation tour gig with 40

? anyone know?

Not so celebratory

Yes, A Celebration probably will never again see the light of day... but that doesn't stop me from bidding on it. Its probably the rarest single of their whole catalogue, and you wouldn't believe what people are willing (including myself) to pay for that little 45" treasure:drool:

cujo said:
Yes, A Celebration probably will never again see the light of day... but that doesn't stop me from bidding on it. Its probably the rarest single of their whole catalogue, and you wouldn't believe what people are willing (including myself) to pay for that little 45" treasure:drool:
freaky! i bought it on ebay for like $20.

lucky devil

You are definitely a lucky one... if that 45 is in good shape. I'm in a bidding war for a mint copy... those jerks keep increasing their bids. Darn all those U2 fans with no time on their hands (including myself).

:no:

I know Id love to hear Exit, Silver and Gold, God Part II, Running to Stand Still, Wire...
"No, Im not really into Rattle n Hum and the non-hits on JT right now..." *right*
It was absolute bliss when they did Outta Control at Slane Castle and they did that thing in the middle where Edge played sort of a tumbling rhythym and Bono thanked their families for giving them 500 pounds each when they were getting started...it was especially poignant since Bono's father's funeral had been the day before.
Cant wait til that concert comes out on DVD.

Back
Top Bottom