Results of my political U2 poll ----->

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung_Bebe

New Yorker
Big thanks to Acrob@t for sending me over the thread after I had trouble gaining access to it. There were a total of 61 participants once the thread became inactive, so cheers everyone, that's 11 more than the minimum required... I've gathered the results, so here they are, if anyone is interested:

Has U2's music urged you to reconsider or change your own beliefs on any political level?

57% said NO
43% said YES

Do you view Bono's active role in politics as a publicity move?

97% said NO
3% said YES

Which of these four political U2 songs is your favorite?

37% said BULLET THE BLUE SKY
34% said NEW YEARS DAY
24% said SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
5% said SECONDS

Oh yeah...

1.6% claimed that they love lapdancers... EdgeVox ya lil' hornball
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Achtung_Bebe (edited 04-13-2002).]

Interesting results, Bebe! The sad thing is, you probably won't be able to look at the results of this thread due to your filter...

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
Big thanks to Acrob@t for sending me over the thread after I had trouble gaining access to it. There were a total of 61 participants once the thread became inactive, so cheers everyone, that's 11 more than the minimum required... I've gathered the results, so here they are, if anyone is interested:

Has U2's music urged you to reconsider or change your own beliefs on any political level?

57% said NO
43% said YES

Do you view Bono's active role in politics as a publicity move?

97% said NO
3% said YES

Which of these four political U2 songs is your favorite?

37% said BULLET THE BLUE SKY
34% said NEW YEARS DAY
24% said SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
5% said SECONDS

Oh yeah...

1.6% claimed that they love lapdancers... EdgeVox ya lil' hornball
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Achtung_Bebe (edited 04-13-2002).]

Is there difference between American and European fans ? ( ore australian ect. )

Well Bama, lo and behold it is allowing me into this thread. I think the way this blocker works is that it picks up on words, and if the words are on the "master filtering list" then the page is blocked... everyone clean up your language for my sake
tongue.gif

Well I must admit I'm turning this paper in late, I just never had the time to sit down and write it! Oh well, only a minor penalty will be given... anyway I just wrote it real quick, I wanted to get it out the way so that I could have a completely lazy day tomorrow being that I'm off of work
biggrin.gif
So here it is if anyone is interested in reading it:

Rock Band U2 and Politics

Irish rock band U2 has managed to remain relevant in the music industry for over two decades, due in large part to their ability to speak out on political beliefs. Lead singer Bono has actively taken a part in campaigns for which he feels are beneficial to society as a whole. U2's most politically impacting album, "War", climbed to the number one chart position following its release in 1983 (Stokes, Niall). U2 encouraged political awareness from the very start of their careers, and continue doing so to this day.

Much of U2's political message can be found when looking from a lyrical
perspective. In U2's song "Sunday Bloody Sunday" Bono protests against a cycle of
violence found in Ireland as he sings: "Broken bottles under childrens' feet, bodies strewn across a dead end street, but I won't heed the battle call" and continues by asking "How long must we sing this song?" {Stokes, Niall). Speaking from first hand experience, "Sunday Bloody Sunday" makes a tremendous statement when performed live. The writing of events which hit home for U2 provide for a very emotional and thought provoking performance. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" was only the beginning of what has become a legendary mix between music and politics for U2.

In order to fully focus on U2's political involvement, you must emphasize the action taken by lead singer Bono. Bono is so eager for world peace that he takes his time off and uses it to meet with politicians and other figure heads to discuss things such as debt relief and poverty in general. Recently Bono discussed foreign aid with Paul O'Neill and Bill Gates at the World Economic Forum. Even more astounding is Bono's personal visit to the pope during which time he and the pope shared the need for debt-relief in third-world countries (Propaganda). Third-world countries are being made to pay up to three times the amount initially borrowed from the U.S, and Bono among other campaigners are working toward relief of this unnecessary burden.

Fans of U2 have taken notice and interest in the band's active political involvement. 47% of fans say that U2's music alone has urged them to reconsider their own beliefs, eventually leading to an awareness of campaigns such as Greenpeace and Jubilee 2000. Of U2's politically charged songs, the majority favors the 1987 release titled "Bullet the Blue Sky" which comes across as a prayer for the victims of military oppression in the United States (Survey). A person once suggested to me that U2's political involvement was nothing more than a publicity move, though this is clearly not the case. With a musical catalogue such as U2's, there is no need to construct an alternate means of appeal to the public.

Perhaps the greatest thing about Bono is that he touches the heart while also enriching the mind. Bono has dazzled politicians with his knowledge, captured fans with his soul, and gone beyond the role of your typical rock star. His sincerity of heart and strength of mind provides the perfect balance, allowing he and his band mates to be an inspiration to anyone who is willing to listen.

Back
Top Bottom