Results for Rate The Song Series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Achtung Baby rankings, by mean (these may be surprising):

1) The Fly
2) Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
3) Until the End of the World
4) Love Is Blindness
5) Zoo Station
6) Acrobat
7) One
8) Even Better Than the Real Thing
9) Mysterious Ways
10) Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
11) So Cruel
12) Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World

With that, Achtung Baby easily usurps The Joshua Tree's former position of being the highest ranked album in this contest so far. I think it's a testament to the quality of this album that even the lower-ranked songs on this album are considered treasures by a lot of people on Interference. There is only one song with an average below an 8... and hell, One, a song that the general public tends to consider one of the greatest songs ever written, ended up only in seventh place here. If I may show a moment of significant bias, I think that this really shows how incredible of an album this is overall to many, many people.

84582345.png

Tyagu_Anaykus said:
One had 3 zeros? :lol:

And Ultra Violet in second... Axver must be angry :wink:

Ultraviolet is in seventh overall in the competition right now. It would be in second if Axver had not voted.

digitize thks for doing this, being a bean counter I really enjoy looking at these rankings in a more statistical context :up:

YBORCITYOBL said:
digitize thks for doing this, being a bean counter I really enjoy looking at these rankings in a more statistical context :up:

Absolutely. I'll give you much more data in the end.

Mysterious Ways 9th and Ultraviolet 2nd? I love both those songs... but still, 360 live versions bias much?

One in 7th is fucking hilarious, especially with that standard deviation of 2.7.

I love and hate this forum.

One's standard deviation is currently the third highest (ie, worst) in the entire contest, behind Elvis Presley and America and Drunk Chicken/America (does this board just not like America?).

Zooropa is as follows:

1) Zooropa
2) Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
3) Lemon
4) Dirty Day
5) The Wanderer
6) The First Time
7) Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
8) Numb
9) Some Days Are Better Than Others
10) Babyface

15492793.png

The difference between the first 3 and the rest is huge but it's expected, and deserved.

I'd be interested in reading anyone who can articulate their love for "Zooropa". I do enjoy the song, but I can't hear it as anything more than interesting and worthy. It's one of those ones where my enjoyment of it will vary with my mood, but something like "With or Without You" is eternally brilliant.

I'd be interested in reading anyone who can articulate their love for "Zooropa". I do enjoy the song, but I can't hear it as anything more than interesting and worthy. It's one of those ones where my enjoyment of it will vary with my mood, but something like "With or Without You" is eternally brilliant.

I'll give it a shot.

This is what I love about Zooropa. I love how it is a brilliant mood piece. It seems to capture the chaotic tone that it searches for so brilliantly. I love how it is so lyrically full of contradiction, and how it manages to sound so positive despite the obvious negative and sarcastic parts of the lyrics and the message. I think that Edge's guitar riff is really cool, and perfect for the song. I love how it is split into two different parts; I love how it sort of explodes outward in the second half. I think it is the perfect song to begin an album all about the good and the bad of modernity, being quick to never present an all-good or all-bad message, but still getting lost in the moment with awe. I could probably list other things, but that's what comes to mind most immediately.

I don't mean this post to be argumentative. I'm perfectly okay with you not liking Zooropa. However, I thought I would just list some of the qualities that really draw me into the song and make it one of my favorites (I gave it a ten - as I did for With or Without You).

The fact that Zooropa is my favorite U2 song is actually a curious thing; it's not a songwriter's dream, it can't be played on an acoustic guitar and retain its power, and it isn't really possible to cover it with any success. But therein lies its power: the song embodies literally everything great about the recording process. There are so many lovely, haunting textures contained within the song that can't be properly captured live because the production enraptures you so thoroughly as you listen.

But that isn't to say that it's some heartless museum piece with no soul. It isn't progressive rock; it doesn't make you follow some shaggy dog story to a pretentious dead end. Rather, it grabs you by the ear in a way that the best pop music does through its brilliant arrangement, which is all the doing of Edge and Flood. The pieces of the song flow like mercury but then ricochet off of one another right as you're beginning to drift, which is precisely how you make a 6 1/2 minute song interesting.

I could write 1,000 words on the final portion alone, but suffice it to say that it makes modern day isolation sound invigorating. Or, rather, it finds something invigorating about the future, which may sound bleak over the course of the album proper, but here is pitched as enticing and forward-thinking. But, right as you're about to take a few seconds to think about what's being said, the song takes you on a light-speed trip through the overground. I've seldom heard such an appealing view of the human condition in a rock song. Hell, it doesn't even see it as a "condition." The biggest problem on our plate is that we have too much potential. Get your head out of the mud, baby. Dream out loud. I'll take that advice over any of the self-help musings scattered over the 00s U2 albums. And the way it merges pure rock and roll force with fresh electronic beats is sublime. Unmatched. A perfect pairing of music and lyrics to convey a feeling of enthusiasm for the future.

Basically, asking me what's so great about Zooropa is like asking me what's so great about the Abbey Road medley. "They have better individual songs. Why do you want a bunch of scattered ideas when you could have something complete like Hey Jude?" Ultimately, those songs collectively capture my imagination to a degree that pretty much all others by the Beatles fail to reach. They make me happy, they make me think, they inspire me. In the same way, Zooropa may not seem like the eternally great and complete song WOWY and One are considered to be, but it is the most fulfilling musical experience U2 has to offer, IMO.

Zooropa is a fine, fine song. But I personally feel it is overrated amongst the serious fans. It may beat The Fly in this poll. A song with a line like "We're mild and green/ And squeaky clean" (pinched from a, ahem, dishwasher advertising slogan) is beating THE FLY which is inarguably one of Bono's career lyrical peaks. Frankly, I find that nuts. And which song brought the house down on the last tour (and many other tours), and which fizzled like a damp firecracker on the last tour? I'm not trying to slam Zooropa, but quite frankly it doesn't hold a candle to the magnificence of The Fly.

It did beat The Fly (and I like it better than The Fly, personally).

Original Soundtracks 1 results, sorted by mean:

1) Your Blue Room
2) Miss Sarajevo
3) Slug
4) Always Forever Now
5) Theme From Let's Go Native
6) Beach Sequence
7) One Minute Warning
8) United Colours
9) Plot 180
10) Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long)
11) A Different Kind of Blue
12) Theme From The Swan
13) Ito Okashi
14) Elvis Ate America

89959663.png

Original Soundtracks 1 results, sorted by mean:

1) Your Blue Room
2) Miss Sarajevo
3) Slug
4) Always Forever Now
5) Theme From Let's Go Native
6) Beach Sequence
7) One Minute Warning
8) United Colours
9) Plot 180
10) Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long)
11) A Different Kind of Blue
12) Theme From The Swan
13) Ito Okashi
14) Elvis Ate America

89959663.png

Oddly enough these rankings are almost exactly the same as my own personal rankings for OS1. Same order and all (well maybe swap TFLGN with Beach Sequence and then they're the same). Very interesting to read Interference's rankings on these. Thanks digitize and great work! :up:

The fact that Zooropa is my favorite U2 song is actually a curious thing; it's not a songwriter's dream, it can't be played on an acoustic guitar and retain its power, and it isn't really possible to cover it with any success. But therein lies its power: the song embodies literally everything great about the recording process. There are so many lovely, haunting textures contained within the song that can't be properly captured live because the production enraptures you so thoroughly as you listen.

But that isn't to say that it's some heartless museum piece with no soul. It isn't progressive rock; it doesn't make you follow some shaggy dog story to a pretentious dead end. Rather, it grabs you by the ear in a way that the best pop music does through its brilliant arrangement, which is all the doing of Edge and Flood. The pieces of the song flow like mercury but then ricochet off of one another right as you're beginning to drift, which is precisely how you make a 6 1/2 minute song interesting.

I could write 1,000 words on the final portion alone, but suffice it to say that it makes modern day isolation sound invigorating. Or, rather, it finds something invigorating about the future, which may sound bleak over the course of the album proper, but here is pitched as enticing and forward-thinking. But, right as you're about to take a few seconds to think about what's being said, the song takes you on a light-speed trip through the overground. I've seldom heard such an appealing view of the human condition in a rock song. Hell, it doesn't even see it as a "condition." The biggest problem on our plate is that we have too much potential. Get your head out of the mud, baby. Dream out loud. I'll take that advice over any of the self-help musings scattered over the 00s U2 albums. And the way it merges pure rock and roll force with fresh electronic beats is sublime. Unmatched. A perfect pairing of music and lyrics to convey a feeling of enthusiasm for the future.

Basically, asking me what's so great about Zooropa is like asking me what's so great about the Abbey Road medley. "They have better individual songs. Why do you want a bunch of scattered ideas when you could have something complete like Hey Jude?" Ultimately, those songs collectively capture my imagination to a degree that pretty much all others by the Beatles fail to reach. They make me happy, they make me think, they inspire me. In the same way, Zooropa may not seem like the eternally great and complete song WOWY and One are considered to be, but it is the most fulfilling musical experience U2 has to offer, IMO.

Wow!

I think that sums everything up nicely!

Been in Thailand the past two weeks, but man oh man are those scores for Zooropa depressing. 11 tens for The Wanderer? Fifth best on the album? Not a single 10 for Some Days? Fuck. You guys suck.

And Nick, your scores for Pop songs makes your opinion invalid. Don't really care if that gets me banned or anything. This forum is a fucking cesspool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom