Rest of U2 Survivor: Zooropa - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Zooropa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Babyface

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Lemon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daddy's Gonna Pay ...

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Some Days Are ...

Votes: 35 36.1%
  • Dirty Day

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • The Wanderer

Votes: 26 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Axver said:

I think AMLOR is by default better than The Wall. Both have 3 good songs, but The Wall has two discs of filler to just one for AMLOR.

You're right in that AMLOR has only three good songs. I can buy that.

But you're definitely on your own in your opinion that The Wall has only three good songs. Three good songs on the first half of disc 1, perhaps. :wink:

oh good grief, how does dirty day only have 4 votes? it's quite possibly the worst U2 song of the 90's....live aside, why won't this die? Beginning to cry, I have failed to dismiss this dirty body of work into the dark...

while i'm on the subject...anyone like "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" by Death Cab?

The Wall is just totally crushed under the weight of its concept and the songs range from dull to crap to totally pointless.

Comfortably Numb, Hey You, and Run Like Hell are the three I consider good. Songs like Mother and The Trial are just dreadful.

Rob33 said:
oh good grief, how does dirty day only have 4 votes? it's quite possibly the worst U2 song of the 90's....live aside, why won't this die?

Worse than Miami, Playboy Mansion, Babyface, TTTYAATW, and especially Elvis Ate America? Just for its lyrics, it deserves to survive.

No spoken words said:
Axver, LM, Sad Punk/Birthday Girl, I'm off to bed.....

Sleep is for the weak. :wink:

Shame my dinner isn't going to cook itself ...

Dirty Day has great lyrics, great structure and killer production. What do you think of the live version, Rob?

No spoken words said:

Glad we agree on that. :)

Axver, LM, Sad Punk/Birthday Girl, I'm off to bed.....

'Night!

Axver said:

Elvis Ate America

Ha, that song is terrible. I listened to Passengers tonight (skipping over Corpse and EAA :wink: ) and I love that album as much as a good chunk of their discography. So creative.

The Sad Punk said:
Dirty Day has great lyrics, great structure and killer production.

Killer production? Yeah, if anything doesn't help Dirty Day, it's the production trying to kill it by stifling it. It just doesn't explode like in the live version. Also, I think the studio version has some of Bono's weaker vocals, like he's ill.

But yeah, the lyrics and structure are great and that set it up to be one of U2's best live songs.

LemonMelon said:
Ha, that song is terrible. I listened to Passengers tonight (skipping over Corpse and EAA :wink: ) and I love that album as much as a good chunk of their discography. So creative.

Why not Corpse? I feel that's a bit of a twisted VDL. I love it and it fits in with the flow of the album, unlike EAA which just totally disrupts things and stands out like a sore thumb.

Passengers, if included, is third on my list of best U2 albums, behind UF and JT and ahead of Boy.

Axver said:

Why not Corpse? I feel that's a bit of a twisted VDL. I love it and it fits in with the flow of the album, unlike EAA which just totally disrupts things and stands out like a sore thumb.

Passengers, if included, is third on my list of best U2 albums, behind UF and JT and ahead of Boy.

It's late, and I find it to be a bit too creepy this time of night. :wink: I actually like it, and I agree that it fits in pretty well, just wasn't in the mood for it I guess.

One Minute Warning has grown on me a ton. The scratchy voice sampling and skittering beat...it's very mechanical and unlike U2, but that's part of the fun.

LemonMelon said:
It's late, and I find it to be a bit too creepy this time of night. :wink: I actually like it, and I agree that it fits in pretty well, just wasn't in the mood for it I guess.

One Minute Warning has grown on me a ton. The scratchy voice sampling and skittering beat...it's very mechanical and unlike U2, but that's part of the fun.

Ah, fair enough - though I actually find One Minute Warning to be the album's darkest track. It has a really forbidding atmosphere. I love it, and it's in second place behind Slug in my rankings of Passengers songs. Corpse is in the top five too.

Killer production? Yeah, if anything doesn't help Dirty Day, it's the production trying to kill it by stifling it. It just doesn't explode like in the live version. Also, I think the studio version has some of Bono's weaker vocals, like he's ill.

It doesn't 'explode', it implodes. I really like how compact and claustrophobic it sounds. It's not what you'd expect. I agree that Bono sounds sick, though - and not in the modern slang term, either. Almost puts me off the song.

Anyway, the studio version's still got nothing on this.

Axver said:

Ah, fair enough - though I actually find One Minute Warning to be the album's darkest track. It has a really forbidding atmosphere. I love it, and it's in second place behind Slug in my rankings of Passengers songs. Corpse is in the top five too.

The first half of the album is like a beautiful suite. It flows together so well. Always Forever Now--->Miss Sarajevo in particular. :drool:

Oh, Axver, I forgot to mention, I should get my dad to come on this forum; you two are soulmates. His favorite U2 album is UF, his favorite U2 song is A Sort Of Homecoming, and he thinks prog rock is the greatest genre ever bestowed on popular music. :happy:

For the record, The Beatles are my favourite band. And I have decided that the albums I will be soon buying will all be done by McCartney, Lennon, and Harrison (solo).

The Sad Punk said:
It doesn't 'explode', it implodes. I really like how compact and claustrophobic it sounds. It's not what you'd expect. I agree that Bono sounds sick, though - and not in the modern slang term, either. Almost puts me off the song.

Anyway, the studio version's still got nothing on this.

Interesting take on the production. A good point really. I have to wonder why they chose that vocal take though. He doesn't sound sick anywhere else on the album and surely they had time to do a better take. In any case, I do think the Bitter Kiss mix is better than the album version.

Do I detect some local bias in picking the Dirty Day performance? :wink:

But yeah, it fucking owns.

LemonMelon said:
Oh, Axver, I forgot to mention, I should get my dad to come on this forum; you two are soulmates. His favorite U2 album is UF, his favorite U2 song is A Sort Of Homecoming, and he thinks prog rock is the greatest genre ever bestowed on popular music. :happy:

Your father is an extremely intelligent man.

Just don't ruin it and tell me you got your political views off him or something. :wink:

Axver said:

Your father is an extremely intelligent man.

Just don't ruin it and tell me you got your political views off him or something. :wink:

He likes Crowded House, Spock's Beard, and Porcupine Tree. What else matters? :wink:

Let's just say this: he's not voting for anyone in the upcoming election, because he thinks they're all incompetent. I'm not sure how to feel about that. :lmao:

LemonMelon said:
He likes Crowded House, Spock's Beard, and Porcupine Tree. What else matters? :wink:

Let's just say this: he's not voting for anyone in the upcoming election, because he thinks they're all incompetent. I'm not sure how to feel about that. :lmao:

Nothing. He's clearly a genius.

And given the insane state of US politics, I think he's got a point there!

Nah, Zooropa's the best nineties U2 album if you take Passengers out of contention. Pop overall has better songs but as an album, Zooropa flows more and is arranged better. And my feelings on Achtung are no secret.

Zooropa's got better flow, but its songs are the weakest of any 90s album. In fact, it's the next album after ATYCLB on the U2's Worst Albums list.

Axver said:
Nah, Zooropa's the best nineties U2 album if you take Passengers out of contention. Pop overall has better songs but as an album, Zooropa flows more and is arranged better. And my feelings on Achtung are no secret.
...you like Passengers that much? :|

phillyfan26 said:
Zooropa's got better flow, but its songs are the weakest of any 90s album. In fact, it's the next album after ATYCLB on the U2's Worst Albums list.

Oh, come now. The title track is awesome. Numb's an interesting experiment. Lemon is all kinds of great. Stay is exceptional songwriting. SDABTO sounds cool, its lyrical failings aside. Dirty Day has all the elements of a good song. The Wanderer fucking wins on all levels.

I agree about ATYCLB, but I can't decide whether Achtung or HTDAAB is second-worst. Achtung's good songs are great, while HTDAAB's good songs are mediocre, but as an album, HTDAAB is a more organised piece.

Eazy-V said:

...you like Passengers that much? :|

As any lover of quality atmospheric, evocative, beautiful, ethereal music would. It's an extremely impressive piece of work that is grossly under-appreciated by the standard "OMG PRIDE AND ONE" U2 fans. I would say it is the greatest burst of originality to come from U2 since The Unforgettable Fire. I wish they had more eagerly pursued other mould-breaking projects rather than returning to bland tried-and-true formulas.

Wow this thread went kinda off topic, anyway as you probably know I got into U2 with ATYCLB and I think that Zooropa is a great album. I mean Zooropa, Stay, The First Time and the Wanderer and all amazing songs. Dirty Day and Some Days (despite the lyrics) are great. Babyface is a good song with an interesting concept, Numb is the same, Lemon is good too but I think it's really overrated, and finally Daddy's gonna pay is just plan average.

liamcool said:
I vote for everyone who voted for The Wanderer.

I can totally get behind this.

Also, so much for a voter drop-off. 87 voters! That's pretty good. Better than some Achtung rounds, I think.

Back
Top Bottom