Rest of U2 Survivor: Zooropa - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Zooropa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Babyface

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Lemon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daddy's Gonna Pay ...

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Some Days Are ...

Votes: 35 36.1%
  • Dirty Day

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • The Wanderer

Votes: 26 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
phillyfan26
Confirmed Rumor
Premium Member

Zooropa, The First Time, and Stay being the "three tracks" I referred to.

The rest of the album is shit.

phillyfan26 said:
Zooropa, The First Time, and Stay being the "three tracks" I referred to.

The rest of the album is shit.

:|

Songs like Numb, Lemon, Daddy's Gonna Pay... it's like thinking outside of the box that is stereotypical U2. Something different and exciting. Not the same old shit... like hearts and souls and stuff. :yawn:

It's something different. But it's not exciting.

Daddy's Gonna Pay is average, a little better live. Lemon is below average. Numb's cool for the first few listens, and then really unimpressive.

phillyfan26 said:
It's something different. But it's not exciting.

Daddy's Gonna Pay is average, a little better live. Lemon is below average. Numb's cool for the first few listens, and then really unimpressive.

I'm guessing you did not grow up watching these videos on MTV and enjoying that moment of popular culture at the time. Half of Numb's brilliance is in the video! Same with Lemon. It was such a great visual period for them.

coolian2 said:
Is that you Bono?

Axver said:
Their screen name is a phrase Bono has re-used completely, thus it must be Bono. The only more likely suspect would be a poster known as "GetOutYourCellPhones".

I am a lot prettier than Bono, dammit :angry:

Freaking kiwis :madwife:

Zootlesque said:
I'm guessing you did not grow up watching these videos on MTV and enjoying that moment of popular culture at the time. Half of Numb's brilliance is in the video! Same with Lemon. It was such a great visual period for them.
The Numb video :drool: Even as a little kid, I was like "This shit is awesome :drool:" But seeing as I was like, eight years old when it came out, I doubt I used the word 'shit' :hmm:

That downgrades them a bit, don't you think? That you need visual aid to go with the music itself?

Lemon is fantastic with or without the video. I don't understand why there seems to be hate for it here, more than I'd expect at least.

It's a real pity Bono wasn't completely slack with the lyrics on Some Days, otherwise it'd be one of the best tracks here.

Zootlesque said:
No, let me tell you Zoots. I am totally the little girl that's smacking Edge around in the video. I even wore my hair like that back in the day! :lol:

The Sad Punk said:
That downgrades them a bit, don't you think? That you need visual aid to go with the music itself?
I'm not sure if it's so much a case of needed the video to go with the song, as it is having been old enough to have known U2 at the time. In 1993 U2 were super hot and songs like Lemon and Numb were just incredibly awesome. There was no question about it.
But then you have people that got into the band later, either with ATYCLB or HTDAAB, and they hear those songs and it just confuses them. Because they didn't get to hear them inside the context of 1993. If that makes sense :hmm:

Last edited:
I don't count visuals unless you talk about a live show.

I think Lemon's an interesting song, but Bono way overdoes the falsetto. It's good if used selectively (i.e.: live version of Dirty Day). I don't want to be hit over the head with it. It kills the song for me.

Numb's a song that has a short shelf life, in my opinion. It's fascinating until you've heard it a few times, then it's pretty unimpressive.

Babyface is the worst U2 song ever, The Wanderer has a poor studio version, Some Days has brutal lyrics.

I just think it's a weak album. :shrug:

Dirty Day, DGPFYCC, and The Wanderer all improved live, for what it's worth. Those versions would have helped this album.

The Sad Punk said:

Well... I'm just saying you had to be there in 1993 when it was happening to appreciate it more. I don't know. There may be fans who didn't live thru it yet like those songs so I don't wanna generalize. But that's the only explanation I can think of as to why some people don't like Numb as much as say, I do.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I'm not sure if it's so much a case of needed the video to go with the song, as it is having been old enough to have known U2 at the time. In 1993 U2 were super hot and songs like Lemon and Numb were just incredibly awesome. There was no question about it.
But then you have people that got into the band later, either with ATYCLB or HTDAAB, and they hear those songs and it just confuses them. Because they didn't get to hear them inside the context of 1993. If that makes sense :hmm:

Exactly!!! Thank you!

If you got into the band with ATYCLB, there is a good chance you will not understand much of Zooropa.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
No, let me tell you Zoots. I am totally the little girl that's smacking Edge around in the video. I even wore my hair like that back in the day! :lol:

Haha I'm sure you were! God, what a fantastic video! :love:

I understand Zooropa. I know where and when they were coming from.

I mean I liked Numb the first time I heard it. I just think songs like Numb are so 1993 that their interest doesn't last past 1993.

Zootlesque said:

If you needed to be there to appreciate the music, then the music is not all that good.

I love the Beatles. They recorded all of their albums but one prior to my birth. I was not there. Nor did I need to experience Beatlemania (which was a ton more powerful than the Numb video) to appreciate their music.

I liked Zooropa then, and I like it now. Numb I never liked, however, and never will. It's just not a song I like. But I don't think you can keep chalking people's negative opinions of music you like up to "not being there"...it demeans the music, and it demeans their opinion.

PFan is younger than the Joshua Tree. By a few years. He didn't need to be there to recognize or acknowledge its brilliance.

No spoken words said:
PFan is younger than the Joshua Tree. By a few years. He didn't need to be there to recognize or acknowledge its brilliance.

'91, an Achtung Baby, if you will.

No spoken words said:

If you needed to be there to appreciate the music, then the music is not all that good.

I love the Beatles. They recorded all of their albums but one prior to my birth. I was not there. Nor did I need to experience Beatlemania (which was a ton more powerful than the Numb video) to appreciate their music.

I liked Zooropa then, and I like it now. Numb I never liked, however, and never will. It's just not a song I like. But I don't think you can keep chalking people's negative opinions of music you like up to "not being there"...it demeans the music, and it demeans their opinion.

You make good points. I love the Beatles too. And I wasn't even born when they broke up. So yeah I guess you don't need to be there. But I still can't shake off the feeling that "being there" only deepens your appreciation. If I had been fortunate enough to be a part of the psychedelic era in 1967, I'm sure I would be an even bigger fan of The Beatles!

phillyfan26 said:
'91, an Achtung Baby, if you will.

I feel for you.

Now, the year of my birth got The Joshua Tree. Only people born in 1984 could possibly argue they're doing better, and they don't have One Tree Hill.

Zootlesque said:

You make good points. I love the Beatles too. And I wasn't even born when they broke up. So yeah I guess you don't need to be there. But I still can't shake off the feeling that "being there" only deepens your appreciation. If I had been fortunate enough to be a part of the psychedelic era in 1967, I'm sure I would be an even bigger fan of The Beatles!

I agree that if you were there, and enjoyed something, that your appreciation is deepened.

I saw U2 on the JT tour. Listening to bootlegs does it no justice. Same with Zoo TV.

Axver said:
I feel for you.

Now, the year of my birth got The Joshua Tree. Only people born in 1984 could possibly argue they're doing better, and they don't have One Tree Hill.

I have The Fly and Acrobat. You could be born in 2000. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:

Exactly!!! Thank you!

If you got into the band with ATYCLB, there is a good chance you will not understand much of Zooropa.

:tsk: Keep me out of your statistics, Zoots.

Back
Top Bottom