Rest of U2 Survivor: The Unforgettable Fire - Round 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• A Sort of Homecoming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wire

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Promenade

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Indian Summer Sky

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • MLK

Votes: 29 46.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
Elvis Presley and America shot its TV out and died on the toilet, with 29 votes.

VOTE FOR YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SONG

Polls will remain open for 48 hours, unless one song has taken enough of a beating after a day or so, in which case we'll call it an act of mercy and move on to the next round.

Songs in this round:

- A Sort Of Homecoming
- Wire
- Promenade
- Indian Summer Sky
- MLK

Criteria for song selection (at least for the albums): anything on the regular pressings of the Best Of 1980-1990, Best Of 1990-2000, and U2:18 is excluded.

I started the poll an hour early, just because that's the way I roll. :wink:

Indian Summer Sky for me.

It tied for second with ISS last round, so maybe we'll luck out and get a double whammy this time.

How is MLK still here? :huh:

It's a nice, soothing piece, don't get me wrong, but it has no musical qualities to speak of and is a glorified outro. EPAA did not deserve to go before MLK.

And here comes an inexplicable wave of ISS votes, I'm sure. :|

I have to vote for ISS over MLK. I don't dislike ISS, MLK is the one on my iPod. ISS didn't make the cut. :wink:

I truly cannot grasp the hostility towards ISS here. It's a genuinely fantastic song.

I like the "so wind blow through to my heart / so wind blow through my soul" bit. I think that's the best part of the song.

Axver said:
I truly cannot grasp the hostility towards ISS here. It's a genuinely fantastic song.

lol. No need to get worked up! I doubt there is "hostility" here. Just a difference of opinion against what comes off (to me at least) as a bit inferior to what's left (not including MLK)! :wink:

corianderstem said:
I like the "so wind blow through to my heart / so wind blow through my soul" bit. I think that's the best part of the song.

Yeah, love that part. I think the entire song has a great atmosphere, and best of all, does things a little differently to the rest of the album.

Zootlesque said:
lol. No need to get worked up! I doubt there is "hostility" here. Just a difference of opinion against what comes off (to me at least) as a bit inferior to what's left (not including MLK)! :wink:

Oh, I'm not getting worked up. But ISS is frequently dismissed on this forum as one of the album's worst tracks, and someone remarked that they weep for the souls of anyone who prefers ISS to MLK. I don't see what there is to dislike about ISS. It's a fantastic song. Truly, I think it's the most baffling commonly held opinion on Interference. I can see why some other songs are popularly disliked, but not this one.

I have genuine hostility to ISS which is why i'm voting for it. it does nothing for me. it doesn't rock. it's not beautiful. it doesn't soar. the musicianship is dull. its melody is dull.

for such an interesting album i'm surprised they allowed this anomoly on it when something like The Three Sunrises would have been far more worthy. Bono's vocal is quite good, i'll give it that, but little else.

MLK for me, even though I love it. Axver's right. It's pretty much one chord on a synthesizer with Bono singing over it. Despite how pretty it is, I can't get past the fact that it's only one chord.

SeattleVertigo said:
I like Indian Summer Sky just fine, but we still have to rank these songs and something has to come in fifth place.

So I take it you'd also vote for the coda of One Tree Hill ahead of In God's Country?

Well, in terms of "songliness", the coda of OTH is essentially on the level of MLK ...

Axver said:

Only because Bono repeats himself in MLK. :wink:

Maybe for the coda at the end of One Tree Hill someone should make a mix of it where he repeats himself, force everyone to listen to it, and vote it against MLK.... Hmm.

the tourist said:
Maybe for the coda at the end of One Tree Hill someone should make a mix of it where he repeats himself, force everyone to listen to it, and vote it against MLK.... Hmm.

Ha, that would be awesome.

OTH coda for the win. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom