Rest of U2 Survivor: The Unforgettable Fire - Round 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• A Sort of Homecoming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wire

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Promenade

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Indian Summer Sky

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Elvis Presley and America

Votes: 29 50.0%
  • MLK

Votes: 12 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
4th of July was voted out on New Year's Day, with 28 votes.

VOTE FOR YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SONG

Polls will remain open for 48 hours, unless one song has taken enough of a beating after a day or so, in which case we'll call it an act of mercy and move on to the next round.

Songs in this round:

- A Sort Of Homecoming
- Wire
- Promenade
- Indian Summer Sky
- Elvis Presley And America
- MLK

Criteria for song selection (at least for the albums): anything on the regular pressings of the Best Of 1980-1990, Best Of 1990-2000, and U2:18 is excluded.

Mumble Mumbly and Mumblerica.

Yeah, it's somewhat interesting moodwise, but a track that consists of Bongolese and a slowed-down backing track from another song has no business being on a finished album.

Poor 4th Of July. At least it's musically interesting. MLK, as soothing as it is, doesn't really qualify as a song. We might as well include the coda of One Tree Hill separately!

I think MLK got a sentimental win. If 4th of July made appearances during concerts or something, it might have lasted longer.

Yeah, that's probably true. Live, I pretty much think of MLK as UF's intro.

MLK, by a country mile, suburban mile, city mile, and, for the sake of fairness, an icy mile on Antarctica. All combined.

I can't believe there are 3 people who think either ISS or Wire is worse than EPAA or MLK.

Axver said:
I can't believe there are 3 people who think either ISS or Wire is worse than EPAA or MLK.

That must be a pretty intense love for ambience.

the tourist said:

That must be a pretty intense love for ambience.

I suppose a love of ambiance could be part of it, but I must say I have always thought EPAA was much more brilliant than people give it credit for. Very underated around here. You really have to listen to that whole song to appreciate it. The end of the song pretty much makes it for me. It's pure buildup that only pays off if you are patient enough to let it.

I also have always felt that ISS was the weakest link on that album. It's a fine enough song but it doesn't really contribute much to the whole album. Other songs do the same things only better.

And who doesn't like MLK? That is sheer beauty. Simple? Yes. Beautiful beyond description? Yes. You people really prefer ISS over MLK? I can try to accept that but I really do weep for your souls.

Hoodlem said:

And who doesn't like MLK? That is sheer beauty. Simple? Yes. Beautiful beyond description? Yes. You people really prefer ISS over MLK? I can try to accept that but I really do weep for your souls.

Here here! And furthermore, I really don't understand why so many people vote against songs like MLK because they "don't qualify as songs"....Are you THAT strict in your analysis of music that it has to meet specific qualifications? If you are really touched by a piece of music, regardless of it's musical or lyrical simplicity, for heaven's sake go for it! The poll says to vote by which song you like/dislike, not by a set scientific diagnosis.

Anyways, Elvis for me...:)

Hoodlem said:
I suppose a love of ambiance could be part of it, but I must say I have always thought EPAA was much more brilliant than people give it credit for. Very underated around here. You really have to listen to that whole song to appreciate it. The end of the song pretty much makes it for me. It's pure buildup that only pays off if you are patient enough to let it.

I also have always felt that ISS was the weakest link on that album. It's a fine enough song but it doesn't really contribute much to the whole album. Other songs do the same things only better.

You're spot on about EPAA (though I still only rank 4th Of July and MLK below it on this album), but the only soul you should weep for is your own. How can you possibly prefer something that really isn't a song but a glorified outro to one of the album's most evocative tracks? ISS seems to get knocked around here sometimes or otherwise forgotten, and I don't understand why. I think it's very interesting, powerful, and well done. It has an atmospheric hint of darkness unlike anything else on the album.

Elvis Presley and America. A song with no melody, no distinguishable lyrics, which has nothing to do with either Elvis Presley or America.

Oh wait, I referred to it as a "song". Six minutes of Bono mumblings do not a song make :|

coolian2 said:
What's not to like about MLK?

It has no musical merit ("hey Edge, trigger a synth!") and is more an outro and less a song in its own right.

Axver said:

It has no musical merit ("hey Edge, trigger a synth!") and is more an outro and less a song in its own right.

It's a great segue. It would work wonders between the ZooTV version of Running To Stand Still and Where The Streets Have No Name.

"And who doesn't like MLK? That is sheer beauty. Simple? Yes. Beautiful beyond description? Yes". - Hoodlum

I couldn't agree with you more. It is gorgeous.

I'm almost glad it has "no musical merit" - Bono's UF voice over the synth is just hauntingly beautiful and I wouldn't want it to be any other way. I can understand why others may not feel the same way, but to me, it is simply one of their most beautiful and moving pieces; a perfect ode to MLK and a perfect end to a spectacular album.

Back
Top Bottom