Rest of U2 Survivor: THE SHOWDOWN - Round 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote Vote Vote for the one you Hate Hate Hate

• Electric Co

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Gloria

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • A Sort of Homecoming

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • One Tree Hill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heartland

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • the Fly

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Zooropa

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Please

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Kite

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • City of Blinding Lights

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Spanish Eyes

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Ground Beneath Her Feet

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:
Spanish Eyes is nowhere near the song Kite is.

Yeah, Spanish Eyes is quality from start-to-finish while Kite has fat that needs to be trimmed. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

Such as? :hmm:

Spanish Eyes barely sounds finished to me. :shrug:

Everything in Kite up to "I want you to know" is terribly mediocre. The fake strings intro is hideous.

Spanish Eyes has some of Edge's best chiming guitar, Bono gives a great performance, and it's just an immensely catchy track, one of U2's very best songs. But you and I already know we don't see eye-to-eye on this one. :wink:

It's just fun and upbeat, that's why I like it. :shrug:

Sorry for being so 'simple' :lmao:

GLORIA :madspit:

but just to get rid of the crap... Kite

Heartland should win, hands down

Last edited:
As much as I don't want Spanish Eyes to go, it's pretty damn obvious that if it doesn't go now, it will be next. So I'm a bit disappointed Kite has pulled in front. I'd like them both to go in a double elimination. Saves time.

Axver said:

Everything in Kite up to "I want you to know" is terribly mediocre. The fake strings intro is hideous.

Spanish Eyes has some of Edge's best chiming guitar, Bono gives a great performance, and it's just an immensely catchy track, one of U2's very best songs. But you and I already know we don't see eye-to-eye on this one. :wink:

I have no idea why we can't agree on this one, but I guess we can't. You preferring the fluffy track over the atmospheric ballad is surreal. :lmao:

veber said:
Heartland is a bad song. U2 should be ashamed.

:shocked:

At risk of being scolded by a mod, it's stuff like this and the great altar voting scandals of earlier rounds that make me think polls should only be accessible to people with over X posts.

LemonMelon said:

I have no idea why we can't agree on this one, but I guess we can't. You preferring the fluffy track over the atmospheric ballad is surreal. :lmao:

I wouldn't call Kite atmospheric, I like it a lot but it's definitely the more fluffy of the two musically, though it has much more meaningful lyrics. Spanish Eyes is much more atmospheric, which makes sense; it comes from the more atmospheric era.

Yeah it sure made a sudden comeback! I would be happy with a tie here too, otherwise next round may be pretty predictable. But who knows, it could also be a close round between the winner here, and the next one on the least popular list.

Varitek said:

At risk of being scolded by a mod, it's stuff like this and the great altar voting scandals of earlier rounds that make me think polls should only be accessible to people with over X posts.

"stuff like this"

What does that mean? I don't like Heartland.

bonocomet said:
Everyone has songs they dislike, but why should U2 be "ashamed" of it?

It's classic filler. Song to take up space. They write songs like this in their sleep.

why should they be proud of it?

I guess "ashamed" just sounds like a pretty strong word to me if that's all you find wrong with it. I like the song a lot myself, though it did grow on me and take on some personal meaning.

Last edited:
Varitek said:

I would rather scold you for your avatar... :p

Every time I check these polls I see a LOT of usernames that I don't recognize. I don't really feel like checking them all but I've already mentioned several times that using alters to vote is against the rules.

Varitek said:

I wouldn't call Kite atmospheric, I like it a lot but it's definitely the more fluffy of the two musically, though it has much more meaningful lyrics. Spanish Eyes is much more atmospheric, which makes sense; it comes from the more atmospheric era.

I've never thought of Spanish Eyes as atmospheric, especially not for that particular time period, but I can see that. Kite feels incredibly warm to me. It's one of the few 00's tracks that has any sort of atmosphere to it. New York and One Step Closer are the others.

I just found out I'm schizophrenic. My spanish side obviously wants me to vote Kite. Hardy likes Kite and wants to vote COBL. My newly discovered ornery side just likes causing trouble. :lol:

COBL

veber said:
why should they be proud of it?

Because apart from One Tree Hill, Bad, UF, and possibly ASOH, it's the best song they've ever made, perhaps?

LemonMelon said:

I've never thought of Spanish Eyes as atmospheric, especially not for that particular time period, but I can see that. Kite feels incredibly warm to me. It's one of the few 00's tracks that has any sort of atmosphere to it. New York and One Step Closer are the others.

I think of Spanish Eyes as having some atmosphere just thanks to Edge's guitar.

I wouldn't think of Kite as terribly atmospheric. In parts, yes, and live on Vertigo, hell yes. But the start of the studio version is almost nauseating. It sounds so processed that it could never have any atmosphere.

Honestly, I don't know why people rag on the last verse of Kite when it's clearly the intro and the first couple of verses that ruin the song. I had ATYCLB for about two years before I even stopped skipping Kite, because the start's so bad that I hadn't paid attention to it getting good around "I want you to know".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom