Rest of U2 Survivor: The Joshua Tree - Round 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Bullet the Blue Sky

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Running to Stand Still

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Hill Mining Town

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • In God's Country

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • One Tree Hill

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Exit

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Mothers of the Disappeared

Votes: 31 47.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
coolian2 said:
I can understand hating Auckland if you had to stay in the city and the trip to the airport was the biggest taste you got of the rest of the place.

If someone offered me a free place in the city i'd tell them to piss off, i'd rather pay $10 a day to take the bus in from out where it's nice.

There are times the Auckland city is nice, but i'd hate to have to spend more than an average Uni day there.

I haven't been into Auckland city since i went to Wellington. I'm going to be sorely disappointed when i do.

I remember visiting Auckland as a child and not hating it like I did in 2006. Those times, we stayed on the North Shore and visited places like MOTAT and whatnot.

Auckland's inner city really is unappealling. It needs to be revitalised in a big way with something on the scale of what Wellington did in the 1990s. Though some huge, pointless stadium was never going to be the way to do it.

liamcool said:
That's a TV show from December 1980, the date of which escapes me at the moment, so I'm guessing the 12th.

Not a TV show, but a session for media of some description.

You're within three weeks. Right year.

Axver said:

I remember visiting Auckland as a child and not hating it like I did in 2006. Those times, we stayed on the North Shore and visited places like MOTAT and whatnot.

Auckland's inner city really is unappealling. It needs to be revitalised in a big way with something on the scale of what Wellington did in the 1990s. Though some huge, pointless stadium was never going to be the way to do it.

A big, pointless stadium would have been a start. There is something i really liked about having the stadium right on hand in Wellington, it felt more vibrant.

Like i said in the last thread, Auckland has to start again. As much as i want to, it'll never happen. But there are so many people opposed to the slightest change - the almighty fuss about upgrading Queen St is a case in point - there isn't a chance of any type of serious redevelopment without the aid of a natural disaster.

From AUT i look right down onto Aotea Square and the Aotea Centre, and it looks shit. How do we champion this to be such an important part of the city? It's a tip, externally. Not so bad inside. One of the things that was great about Wellington was how clean and beautifully preserved all the buildings were. Everything in Auckland is grungy.

Well, since Liam clearly can't get it (wait, he can! - he posted while I was posting), that set was 26 November 1980 in Hulme, England. The comment on it is: "U2 play in an empty theatre to record tracks for Peter Powell's afternoon show on the BBC. It is understood that this never aired and the recording of Father Is An Elephant has not surfaced."

coolian2 said:
A big, pointless stadium would have been a start. There is something i really liked about having the stadium right on hand in Wellington, it felt more vibrant.

Like i said in the last thread, Auckland has to start again. As much as i want to, it'll never happen. But there are so many people opposed to the slightest change - the almighty fuss about upgrading Queen St is a case in point - there isn't a chance of any type of serious redevelopment without the aid of a natural disaster.

From AUT i look right down onto Aotea Square and the Aotea Centre, and it looks shit. How do we champion this to be such an important part of the city? It's a tip, externally. Not so bad inside. One of the things that was great about Wellington was how clean and beautifully preserved all the buildings were. Everything in Auckland is grungy.

I'm not convinced that a big, pointless stadium is the start Auckland needs. I mean, in Wellington, the Cake Tin followed the rejuvenation of the foreshore with things like Te Papa and the Convention Centre. Furthermore, it was built out of sheer necessity; Athletic Park was nigh-on unusable and subject to a land rights claim, and the Basin Reserve has to stay as the Basin Reserve. Auckland's already got three perfectly good stadiums.

The other problem with a stadium is that sure, it gets a stack of people in for one event, but they don't stay. They come in one day a week at the height of the sporting season and then sod off back to their homes. A cultural landmark like Te Papa does a whole lot more.

I think Auckland needs to first acknowledge that its port is reaching its limit and it's never going to be the main port for the upper North Island. Tauranga and the new port going in up at Marsden Point are far better. So use them, rail everything Auckland-bound to the inland port in Wiri, and keep only the essentials. That will free up a stack of land for fantastic redevelopment.

Axver said:
I'm not convinced that a big, pointless stadium is the start Auckland needs. I mean, in Wellington, the Cake Tin followed the rejuvenation of the foreshore with things like Te Papa and the Convention Centre. Furthermore, it was built out of sheer necessity; Athletic Park was nigh-on unusable and subject to a land rights claim, and the Basin Reserve has to stay as the Basin Reserve. Auckland's already got three perfectly good stadiums.

The other problem with a stadium is that sure, it gets a stack of people in for one event, but they don't stay. They come in one day a week at the height of the sporting season and then sod off back to their homes. A cultural landmark like Te Papa does a whole lot more.

I think Auckland needs to first acknowledge that its port is reaching its limit and it's never going to be the main port for the upper North Island. Tauranga and the new port going in up at Marsden Point are far better. So use them, rail everything Auckland-bound to the inland port in Wiri, and keep only the essentials. That will free up a stack of land for fantastic redevelopment.

I'm a stadium nerd and i take issue with you suggesting Auckland has three good stadiums. We have one - Mt Smart. Eden Park is an inaccessible tip and i presume the third is North Harbour, which is also inaccessible. I've had many other stadium nerds visit Auckland and they change their attitude on North Harbour, going from saying it doesn't look so far on Google Earth to telling me they didn't expect it to be so far out. But that's irrelevant right now.

An accessible harbour front would do a lot more than even a cultural landmark. I think the Port of Auckland has to go soon, because it really messes up the city, and now that i know there is an alternative other than Tauranga i'm going to be more opposed to it.

We need a better waterfront, some nice cultural features and something other than an indoor arena too far from Britomart.

coolian2 said:
I'm a stadium nerd and i take issue with you suggesting Auckland has three good stadiums. We have one - Mt Smart. Eden Park is an inaccessible tip and i presume the third is North Harbour, which is also inaccessible. I've had many other stadium nerds visit Auckland and they change their attitude on North Harbour, going from saying it doesn't look so far on Google Earth to telling me they didn't expect it to be so far out. But that's irrelevant right now.

An accessible harbour front would do a lot more than even a cultural landmark. I think the Port of Auckland has to go soon, because it really messes up the city, and now that i know there is an alternative other than Tauranga i'm going to be more opposed to it.

We need a better waterfront, some nice cultural features and something other than an indoor arena too far from Britomart.

I've a casual interest in stadiums, but never taken it to nerdish levels - that's for railways. And speaking of railways, correct me if I'm grossly mistaken, but how can you say Eden Park is inaccessible when it's near a railway station? Kingsland I believe. Develop that as a transport hub, build the underground line that's proposed from Britomart to the Western Line (I think to meet at Mount Eden or Kingsland), and there's ideal transport. Especially if the second harbour crossing that's on the drawing board includes a rail crossing. As for the North Harbour stadium - true, that does seem to be quite out of the way.

I understand the port at Marsden Point has been approved and is under construction after being on the drawing board for-fucking-ever - and it's the ideal deepwater port for the upper North Island like Wellington is for the lower. Bizarrely, the railway to it is still just in the land acquisition stage but it looks like it will happen, and with that in place, it would be far, far more logical to use either Marsden Point or Tauranga than Auckland.

What baffles me is that Wellington manages to juggle being a major harbour and having an attractive waterfront while Auckland, which has two harbours to work with, completely fucks it up.

Ok after much heartache, I go with Exit.... again. I'm not sure, but it may have something to do with it hurting my ears all that time before we got the remastered version. :(
Still a brilliant song though.

Axver said:

I've a casual interest in stadiums, but never taken it to nerdish levels - that's for railways. And speaking of railways, correct me if I'm grossly mistaken, but how can you say Eden Park is inaccessible when it's near a railway station? Kingsland I believe. Develop that as a transport hub, build the underground line that's proposed from Britomart to the Western Line (I think to meet at Mount Eden or Kingsland), and there's ideal transport. Especially if the second harbour crossing that's on the drawing board includes a rail crossing. As for the North Harbour stadium - true, that does seem to be quite out of the way.

What baffles me is that Wellington manages to juggle being a major harbour and having an attractive waterfront while Auckland, which has two harbours to work with, completely fucks it up.

Train and bus schedules - what are you meant to do if the trains run very rarely, and effectively all the Britomart. By the time you get to Britomart you've probably missed the last bus to wherever you want to go. The train is used by a lot of people going to Eden Park once, and most vow never to do it again.

Same problem for North Harbour, the last bus back to Britomart leaves at the same time as most events finish. You miss the bus, you're fucked. It's probably more an Auckland public transport issue. My biggest problem with Eden Park is that it is a tip. It's by far the worst major stadium in New Zealand i've been to, but i haven't been to Carisbrook. Viewing is terrible, it's old...it looks terrible on TV. It's embarrassing.

Wellington really fluked it with geography. The deepest part of the harbour, as i understand it, isn't smack in front of the CBD and so there isn't much sense in sticking a port there, while in Auckland the "best" place for the port is right in the middle of town.

The Manukau Harbour is shit. In every way.

coolian2 said:
Train and bus schedules - what are you meant to do if the trains run very rarely, and effectively all the Britomart. By the time you get to Britomart you've probably missed the last bus to wherever you want to go. The train is used by a lot of people going to Eden Park once, and most vow never to do it again.

Same problem for North Harbour, the last bus back to Britomart leaves at the same time as most events finish. You miss the bus, you're fucked. It's probably more an Auckland public transport issue. My biggest problem with Eden Park is that it is a tip. It's by far the worst major stadium in New Zealand i've been to, but i haven't been to Carisbrook. Viewing is terrible, it's old...it looks terrible on TV. It's embarrassing.

Wellington really fluked it with geography. The deepest part of the harbour, as i understand it, isn't smack in front of the CBD and so there isn't much sense in sticking a port there, while in Auckland the "best" place for the port is right in the middle of town.

The Manukau Harbour is shit. In every way.

Oh yeah, Auckland's public transport needs A LOT of work, no doubt there. But you do have electrification happening on the rail network, so that should really help out matters. That will mean expanded services, and hopefully some new lines to use the nice new trains on. I think Auckland right now is right at the start of a public transport renaissance - it's going to take a while for it to really come to fruition, but give it a couple of decades and Auckland should be nicely on the way to reducing its embarrassing car dependence. The rising petrol costs help there too, especially as the rest of the country is increasingly unwilling to subsidise roads north of the Bombay Hills.

As for Carisbrook, you might me able to tell me what the hell's going on there. I've heard they're talking about developing University Oval and calling it Carisbrook. As someone with strong Otago connections, what a load of fucking horseshit that would be. The House of Pain is the House of Pain. It's not the bloody University Oval or anywhere else!

As a matter of trivia, Port Nick wasn't always meant to be Wellington's harbour - there was a very serious plan to use the southern arm of Porirua Harbour. Then there was an earthquake in around 1855 that raised Porirua Harbour such that it ceased to be an appealling option.

"I am also disgusted with the votes for MOTD, and I feel I more than clearly made the case for that haunting, beautiful song last round" - Axver.

I'd completely agree! I love MOTD... I can't believe so many people are voting for it! :( As much as I love all of these songs, MOTD would easily be in my top 3 here...

Axver said:

As for Carisbrook, you might me able to tell me what the hell's going on there. I've heard they're talking about developing University Oval and calling it Carisbrook. As someone with strong Otago connections, what a load of fucking horseshit that would be. The House of Pain is the House of Pain. It's not the bloody University Oval or anywhere else!

As a matter of trivia, Port Nick wasn't always meant to be Wellington's harbour - there was a very serious plan to use the southern arm of Porirua Harbour. Then there was an earthquake in around 1855 that raised Porirua Harbour such that it ceased to be an appealling option.

I have no idea what's happening with Dunedin. The University Oval would make a nice cricket ground, and i've heard they're planning a new stadium somewhere else to replace Carisbrook, but i haven't heard anything in months.

The funny part is the same earthquake that made the Porirua Harbour a less appealing option was the same one that made the Basin Reserve usable as a cricket ground.

coolian2 said:
I have no idea what's happening with Dunedin. The University Oval would make a nice cricket ground, and i've heard they're planning a new stadium somewhere else to replace Carisbrook, but i haven't heard anything in months.

The funny part is the same earthquake that made the Porirua Harbour a less appealing option was the same one that made the Basin Reserve usable as a cricket ground.

I just hope they keep Carisbrook as a rugby ground - besides history, the atmosphere of that ground is irreplaceable. I think renovating that site (in a manner keeping with its history) is far more preferable to a new ground, though certainly the University Oval would do the job as a cricket ground. Perhaps have two grounds in the way Wellington does, with the Basin kept in use for Tests. Dunedin could use a new ground used for most things but the original Carisbrook would be used for significant rugby clashes - e.g. the Otago RFC and All Blacks would probably choose certain games to hold there; I cannot imagine Otago vs Canterbury games anywhere but at Carisbrook.

AchtungGirl219 said:
I'd completely agree! I love MOTD... I can't believe so many people are voting for it! :( As much as I love all of these songs, MOTD would easily be in my top 3 here...

Same - MOTD is right behind One Tree Hill and RHMT for me. It'd be fourth if the version of Exit in question were the live version, but it's not.

Whatever the case, North Harbour Stadium looked shocking on the telly for Knights matches with their crowds of 1500, it was absolutely waterlogged in one fixture against Adelaide.

Just looked through a few of the stadia in the land of sheep. They got some great ones for future A-League clubs. Mt Smart seems better than North Harbour for football, while Waikato or whatever looks nice for football should Hamilton ever get an A-League side.

Last edited:
Any A-League team in Auckland should have always been based at Mt Smart, and also shouldn't be called New Zealand. You alienate most of the city the team is based in to appease a handful of hicks who will only support a team called New Zealand.

Calling an Auckland team "New Zealand" really is the height of arrogance if you ask me.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Your name is Ian?

All this time I've been reading your screenname all as one word, 'coolian' as in, 'cool' with the '-ian' suffix. Wow :lol:

Ha ha ha , me too! Oh, the things you learn on this board.

And my name isn't remotely close to "Cori." :wink:

Back
Top Bottom