Rest of U2 Survivor: The Joshua Tree - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Bullet the Blue SKy

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Running To Stand Still

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Hill Mining Town

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • In God's Country

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Trip Through Your Wires

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • One Tree Hill

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Exit

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Mothers Of the Disappeared

Votes: 24 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
As a surprise to no one, A Sort of Homecoming took home the crown for The Unforgettable Fire.

Next up: The Joshua Tree

VOTE FOR YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SONG

Polls will remain open for 48 hours, unless one song has taken enough of a beating after a day or so, in which case we'll call it an act of mercy and move on to the next round.

Songs in this round:

- Bullet The Blue Sky
- Running To Stand Still
- Red Hill Mining Town
- In God's Country
- Trip Through Your Wires
- One Tree Hill
- Exit
- Mothers Of The Disappeared

Criteria for song selection (at least for the albums): anything on the regular pressings of the Best Of 1980-1990, Best Of 1990-2000, and U2:18 is excluded.

Mothers of the Disappeared. It's lovely, but it's neck and neck with Trip Through Your Wires as my least favorite here.

Hate to say it, but In God's Country is kind of the most generic song on here, so I have to go with it, even if it's "heavier" than Trip.

Because that harmonica does rule.

One Tree Hill....worst song here BY FAR...

jk :wink:

As hard as it is, I think Mothers has got to go first...I love TTYW

I can't believe MOTD is actually leading right now - I thought we'd have to mercy rule this round after a Trip thumping. MOTD is such an incredibly emotionally powerful closer, definitely one of U2's best. The lyrics are haunting and sung with tangible emotion, and the music is simply eerie.

Trip, on the other hand? Nobody needs country-influenced U2. The lyrics are stupid, the harmonica is piss-poor, and it really has few good qualities. I cannot possibly fathom what kind of madness caused Bono to ditch Heartland for this. I mean, if you want a lighter moment on JT, at least bring in something excellent like Spanish Eyes rather than this less-than-b-side quality effort.

Axver said:
I can't believe MOTD is actually leading right now - I thought we'd have to mercy rule this round after a Trip thumping. MOTD is such an incredibly emotionally powerful closer, definitely one of U2's best. The lyrics are haunting and sung with tangible emotion, and the music is simply eerie.

It's just too ... quiet. It reminds me of what MLK would be, if MLK had been repeated two and a half times. I don't love Trip--it'll be what I'm gunning for next.

the tourist said:

It's just too ... quiet. It reminds me of what MLK would be, if MLK had been repeated two and a half times. I don't love Trip--it'll be what I'm gunning for next.

I don't really see how you can make an MLK comparison - my problem with MLK was that musically, it barely even exists. It's just a single note on a synth, woopdeedoo. MOTD is much more complex than that - in fact, it has a very subtle, well-crafted musical structure. If you listen to it on headphones, I think it is one of the most engrossing musical experiences on the album.

Anyone who voted for MOTD before TTYW doesn't deserve to listen to the Joshua Tree again.

That's right, I went there.

TTYW is the only song that has no right to be on this album, U2's best. Put Spanish Eyes on there in its place.

MOTD on the other hand, is a gorgeous song. A comparison to MLK (I'm looking at you "the tourist," if that's your real name) is absurd.

corianderstem said:
I'm a woman - I'm full of mystery. :wink:

And questionable musical taste, apparently. :sexywink:

Turn the lights down, pop JT into the stereo, turn it up and listen to MOTD.

Trip is better? Really? Reaaaally? :eyebrow:

:tsk:

:hi5: Pfan

phillyfan26 said:
Anyone who voted for MOTD before TTYW doesn't deserve to listen to the Joshua Tree again.

Oh yeah? I flaunt your authority. In fact, I'm listening it to it right now.

I'd vote for MOTD again, in a heartbeat.

Mwa ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

It's entirely possible I was on teh drugz when I voted for MOTD first.

Yeah, yeah, go ahead and kill one of the album's best songs. :grumpy: MOTD is boring as fuck and musically repetitive. Nice going, guys. :up: :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom