Rest of U2 Survivor: The Joshua Tree - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Bullet the Blue SKy

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Running To Stand Still

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Hill Mining Town

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • In God's Country

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Trip Through Your Wires

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • One Tree Hill

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Exit

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Mothers Of the Disappeared

Votes: 24 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Axver said:

It was funny how each leg's parties had its own unique character. Only a small amount of us were constant throughout the entire time - I think at least 10,000 of my posts come from the parties!

Personally, my favourite leg was Europe, though my fondest memory is the Auckland vs Wellington "arguments" timothius and I had on the third leg. And your parodies, NSW. I think I actually saved a couple of them ...

The European shows screwed up my days, since the shows here would be around noon-ish, and I had to (try &) work.

And memories of taking 2 hours to eat dinner and post and be a source on occasion. Good times! Was it the last S.American show that we had the live webcast too? :drool:

And yes Axver, your "arguments" with timothius were absolutely hilarious. And NSW making appearances. And trying to connect to audio sources, albeit sometimes you thought they were not of this earth. I miss those days! :sad: Somebody hold me.

Axver said:

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and that's my favourite part of the entire song!

The only part of the song where Bono's enunciation bugs me is "carved into stone on the face of Earth". I think it sounds more like he's singing "carved into stone on the face of it" - but that's not as good, so I keep typing what it's meant to be whenever I quote it. :wink:

I always thought it sounds like he says "it" there too.

Never had any problem hearing painted roses though.

corianderstem said:
There is definitely an "S" sound when he sings "painted."

No one believes me. :sad:

bigsmileysun.gif

LemonMelon said:
The 10/17/05 Philly setlist party was a favorite of mine. Everyone went nuts when they heard that Bruce Springsteen was joining the band on stage.

I think I was the only person not excited about that. Well, I was excited that it was something different, some variation, but not at all about Springsteen himself.

corianderstem said:
I think we should invoke the mercy rule on the whole competition.

:hyper:

:lol:

No spoken words said:

I think I dropped out for one of the legs, but definitely posted a lot during the first leg. I remember being the "source" in Glendale and when they played "Bad" I was thinking "Man, they are probably going berserk right now in the set list party thread". :)

My parodies. Ha. I'm sure most were lame, looking back, but at the time they were funny. You know, in context and all. :)

Timothius! How is he????

I haven't heard from timothius in at least a few months, but he occasionally shows up - mainly on rugby threads in PEUP, Finn-related threads on B&C, and perhaps a Kiwi politics thread or two in FYM. He seemed to be good last time he was here.

There was one parody that was abso-fucking-lutely hysterical - if I could remember where the hell I'd saved it, I'd repost it for old times' sake. I hope for more next tour. :wink:

And I know what you mean about thinking about the setlist party thread - I more than once thought about it at the gigs I saw! I loved coming home/going back to the hotel and providing my thoughts on the gig.

Axver said:

I think I was the only person not excited about that. Well, I was excited that it was something different, some variation, but not at all about Springsteen himself.

I haven't heard from timothius in at least a few months, but he occasionally shows up - mainly on rugby threads in PEUP, Finn-related threads on B&C, and perhaps a Kiwi politics thread or two in FYM. He seemed to be good last time he was here.

There was one parody that was abso-fucking-lutely hysterical - if I could remember where the hell I'd saved it, I'd repost it for old times' sake. I hope for more next tour. :wink:

And I know what you mean about thinking about the setlist party thread - I more than once thought about it at the gigs I saw! I loved coming home/going back to the hotel and providing my thoughts on the gig.

Glad he is well.

The one parody I remember was Zoo Station-oriented. I crack myself up, sadly. It really is sad. But funny. In a sad way.

I think I soured on the set list parties as the tour progressed because there was less fun and more complaining. But they I came back after a bit.

corianderstem said:
There is definitely an "S" sound when he sings "painted."

No one believes me. :sad:

I'll give it a listen soon and get back to you - just playing Blackfield's Live in NYC DVD (well, audio thereof) for the first time now. :drool:

I'll readily concede that OTH is, technically speaking, not Bono's best performance - but the whole song was recorded in a single take. And I think that's part of why it's so great, that the emotion is right there and it's not worn down by repeated takes. I'd much rather keep in what imperfections are there than lose the raw emotion. If anything, they help to emphasise it more.

Complaining? In the set list threads? In Interference?

Clearly, you are loco as well.

(You know what we need here? An HTML command to strike out text.)

Axver said:
I'll readily concede that OTH is, technically speaking, not Bono's best performance - but the whole song was recorded in a single take. And I think that's part of why it's so great, that the emotion is right there and it's not worn down by repeated takes.

Oh, definitely. Agreed. Pip pip!

Axver said:

Imagine just trying to read thru the party threads, especially when there were numerous parts. I did that after both L.A. shows in November 2005, and then of course Hawaii. :crack:
I had to see how it went over, especially with Maddy getting pulled up :D

No spoken words said:
The one parody I remember was Zoo Station-oriented. I crack myself up, sadly. It really is sad. But funny. In a sad way.

I think I soured on the set list parties as the tour progressed because there was less fun and more complaining. But they I came back after a bit.

Well, don't worry - you cracked me up too. And I did a fair bit of cracking myself up with the Auckland vs Wellington arguments. :wink:

Remember when I renamed it from the "Setlist Watch and Party" to the "Setlist Bitch and Party"? It was meant as a bit of a joke, but I eventually changed it back to keep the peace - I think at moderator instigation!

Didja guys ever notice how in that one part of Bullet the Blue Sky, Bono pronounces "into the arms of America" as "phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbttttttt!"

It's so weird.

coolian2 said:
After a quick google search, i can neither confirm nor identify my identity.

Whereas I, after a similar search, can announce that I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!!!!!!

I have a very poor understanding of what setlist parties are exactly and what this entire place is like leading up to and during a tour...so please, interferencers! keep doing what you have been doing for the next tour! :) :yippie:

Rob, set list parties are a bunch of us, in a thread, waiting for someone at a U2 concert to text one of us the songs as they are played. That either sounds insanely fun, or insanely dorky, depending on your point of view.

No spoken words said:
Rob, set list parties are a bunch of us, in a thread, waiting for someone at a U2 concert to text one of us the songs as they are played. That either sounds insanely fun, or insanely dorky, depending on your point of view.

You're forgetting accurately predicting the setlists (and in one mildly amusing occasion, having no source and discussing favourite snippets)

And forgetting to mention that we had audio connections on occasion. Wonder what technology (and gorman) will bring to the next tour :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom