Rest of U2 Survivor: Rattle and Hum - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Van Diemen's Land

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Hawkmoon 269

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Love Rescue Me

Votes: 48 64.9%
  • Heartland

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • God Part II

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
One Tree Hill is THE WINNAH!!!!

Next up: Rattle & Hum

VOTE FOR YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SONG

Polls will remain open for 48 hours, unless one song has taken enough of a beating after a day or so, in which case we'll call it an act of mercy and move on to the next round.

Songs in this round:

- Van Diemen's Land
- Hawkmoon 269
- Love Rescue Me
- Heartland
- God Part II

Criteria for song selection (at least for the albums): anything on the regular pressings of the Best Of 1980-1990, Best Of 1990-2000, and U2:18 is excluded.

Love Rescue Me. The only crap song here.

My rankings:

1. Heartland :drool:
2. God Part II
3. Van Diemen's Land
4. Hawkmoon 269
50,000. Love Rescue Me (though some lyrics in it aren't bad)

If the studio version of Hawkmoon were more like the live version, it would be third and possibly even tied for second.

it's interesting because the performance of Love Rescue Me from 12-26 1989 Point Depot is incredible, but the R & H performance is so so...but just because of how brilliant the 12-26 version is I can't bring myself to vote for it...

if the Point Depot version was here it would destroy everything else on this list hands down...but it's still the same song..so I just don't know :hmm:

Axver said:
If the studio version of Hawkmoon were more like the live version, it would be third and possibly even tied for second.

^ yep. I'm not a huge fan of the studio Hawkmoon.

I listened to these songs over the weekend as I was driving thru the desert and to the actual Joshua Tree. I'll admit I was never a huge Heartland fan before, but listening to it while driving that landscape changed my mind. :drool: Amazing.

Easily Love Rescue Me.
Then Van Diemen's Land.
Then Hawkmoon 269.
Then a tie with God Part II and Heartland.

Gee, take out some of those singles, and the remaining songs exemplify why this album remains U2's worst release in my eyes.

The only saving grace is the phenomenal Heartland, such a gorgeous track that should cane the rest of the bullshit (with apologies to Van Dieman's Land which is a sweet enough song, but the other 3....yuk)

intedomine said:
Gee, take out some of those singles, and the remaining songs exemplify why this album remains U2's worst release in my eyes.

Wow, I could not disagree more. When I prepared the lists for this tournament, as soon as I eliminated the Best Of songs from RAH, I thought that with the exclusion of LRM, "hey, we're left with RAH's really good stuff!" The four good songs here are four of my top five RAH songs (AIWIY's probably about 3rd or 4th).

I guess I'm in the minority here, because I love Hawkmoon. Fantastic song. Even better live, but I still love the studio version as well.

Love Rescue Me is the obvious starting point to this round, though.

Axver said:

Wow, I could not disagree more. When I prepared the lists for this tournament, as soon as I eliminated the Best Of songs from RAH, I thought that with the exclusion of LRM, "hey, we're left with RAH's really good stuff!" The four good songs here are four of my top five RAH songs (AIWIY's probably about 3rd or 4th).

For me it's 3 out of my top 5 in this current list (All I Want Is You and Desire of the singles--Heartland, God Part II, and Hawkmoon 269 of album tracks).

The Sad Punk said:
I'm going to get my tits punched off for this, but GPII.

Interesting choice of words.

Hawkmoon took YEARS to grow on me. I love the live version, but love the studio version as well.

phanan said:
I guess I'm in the minority here, because I love Hawkmoon. Fantastic song. Even better live, but I still love the studio version as well.

Love Rescue Me is the obvious starting point to this round, though.

I love Hawkmoon, too.

God Part Two is unlistenable for me, a wretched, sonically ugly, song that is just a ghastly experience for my ears. That said, I voted for Love Rescue Me which drags on for too long without getting anywhere....and is just downright unsatisfactory.

I'm one of those who agree with the critics who hammered U2 for "taking their inspiration too far" on R&H, but damn, Heartland is one big fat piece of gorgeousness...

God Part II is a great lyric with a rocking sound. It's like everything Vertigo tried and failed to be.

phillyfan26 said:
God Part II is a great lyric with a rocking sound. It's like everything Vertigo tried and failed to be.

Yeah, QFT. It has solid bass, one of Larry's few post-1983 drum performances that's worth a damn, fantastic vocal delivery, and really fiery lyrics. It's one of U2's greatest songs and needs to be brought back live.

As for Hawkmoon, I don't dislike it at all. As I said, it's in my top five RAH songs. The intro sounds pretty crappy though, and I'm not that into the outro either. The live version improved on it in leaps and bounds and the live intro is one of Edge's most stunning pieces of work.

Axver said:

Yeah, QFT. It has solid bass, one of Larry's few post-1983 drum performances that's worth a damn, fantastic vocal delivery, and really fiery lyrics. It's one of U2's greatest songs and needs to be brought back live.

As for Hawkmoon, I don't dislike it at all. As I said, it's in my top five RAH songs. The intro sounds pretty crappy though, and I'm not that into the outro either. The live version improved on it in leaps and bounds and the live intro is one of Edge's most stunning pieces of work.

Axver, name for me a good LIVE version of Hawkmoon...a date or two, please. For my collection.

Love Rescue Me is doomed :( I don't listen to it very often, but I still like it more than Van Diemen's Land, which got my vote, and Hawkmoon. I have a soft spot for that wailing Bob Dylan part in the middle.

I'll be shocked if Heartland doesn't win this round easily.

Back
Top Bottom