Rest of U2 Survivor: Pop - Round 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Mofo

Votes: 45 54.2%
  • Please

Votes: 38 45.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No album's survivor has disappointed me more than this one. This is 100% a live bias result.

phillyfan26 said:
No album's survivor has disappointed me more than this one. This is 100% a live bias result.

corianderstem said:
Popping in to say just because I like different songs than some of you, that doesn't mean I'm voting based on live versions.

:madspit:

Certainly, like in albums, there are people who honestly like these. But I think that the majority have a blurred remembrance of the differences between the two, and that has yielded this result. Mofo, and Please especially, are so much weaker on the album. I just don't think we'd have the same result if Wake Up Dead Man had a full version played live.

phillyfan26 said:

pfan, I sense some genuine crankiness in your post. I think you're taking this too seriously. :)

I've never heard Mofo live, and I like the album version of Please better than the single and live versions. I also think most of the album is better than WUDM. :shrug: Those songs deserve to be there. WUDM is better than LNOE, though, I'll give you that.

I've been trying to convince you all that most of the album is better than LNOE. To no avail. :wink:

This album:
1. Wake Up Dead Man
2. Staring at the Sun
3. Do You Feel Loved?
4. Last Night on Earth
5. Mofo
6. Gone
7. Please
8. Discotheque
9. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
10. If God Will Send His Angels
11. Miami
12. The Playboy Mansion

I've never been a huge fan of Staring At the Sun. Acoustic live version of studio version. It just doesn't do much for me.

I didn't like any live version or remix of it. I love the original studio version. That's it.

The top four songs I think were good studio takes. Everything else only got good live or was just utter shit.

This is the revisionist Pop that I came up with:

Do You Feel Loved? – LP (Jul 1997)
1. Mofo
2. Gone
3. Last Night on Earth
4. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
5. Holy Joe
6. Staring at the Sun
7. Do You Feel Loved?
8. Discotheque
9. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
10. North and South of the River
11. Please
12. Wake Up Dead Man

Note: Mofo is played like the version at the MTV Video Awards in 1997. Gone is played like the Elevation Tour version. Last Night on Earth is similar to the album version, but with better vocals from Bono and an introduction like the one on PopMart. HMTMKMKM, Holy Joe, SATS, and Do You Feel Loved? are all markedly similar to the album versions, though DYFL is cleaned up a little bit and recorded with better vocals. Discotheque is similar to the Vertigo Tour version, though the outro includes the "Boom Cha's." IYWTVD is similar to the live version in execution, but has the full song played, with all of its lyrics. NASOTR is the normal version. Please is played like the PopMart version. WUDM is the album version. Miami becomes a B-side that is occassionally played live. IGWSHA and The Playboy Mansion appear as B-sides only.

phillyfan26 said:
Certainly, like in albums, there are people who honestly like these. But I think that the majority have a blurred remembrance of the differences between the two, and that has yielded this result. Mofo, and Please especially, are so much weaker on the album. I just don't think we'd have the same result if Wake Up Dead Man had a full version played live.

Wow, your opinion of others' opinions is quite high. :slant:

Could it be, that perhaps most people just honestly like those songs better, whether it's the album or live version? I know I certainly prefer both studio versions Mofo and Please over Wake Up Dead Man, and by a huge margin, too. Mofo is far more imaginative sonically, and more structurally interesting to me than WUDM, and Please has an intensity, even in its spare studio version, that WUDM doesn't even come close to.

But that's just my opinion. :)

I know there are people who don't like WUDM like I do. I just honestly think there are people who don't recall the differences between live and studio being as stark as they are.

We had someone vote off Your Blue Room because it was the only song they'd heard on Passengers, so, I'm not quite sure what to think anymore. :wink:

I think your assumption that most people are mixing up the live and studio versions is off.

But you do have a point re: Your Blue Room. That's just insanity right there. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:
I know there are people who don't like WUDM like I do. I just honestly think there are people who don't recall the differences between live and studio being as stark as they are.

We had someone vote off Your Blue Room because it was the only song they'd heard on Passengers, so, I'm not quite sure what to think anymore. :wink:

I bought Pop the day it was released, so I've been listening to it for over a decade. I know very well how I feel about each and every song.

I literally dislike WUDM, don't understand the fuss, but to each their own.....I like "Is That All" from October for my own reasons, despite even hardcore U2 fans disliking it. It's all, as you know, highly subjective. :shrug:

I have always liked the studio version of Please, regardless of how much other people like, or dislike it, and regardless of how much better the LIVE version might be.

No spoken words said:
I bought Pop the day it was released, so I've been listening to it for over a decade. I know very well how I feel about each and every song.

I literally dislike WUDM, don't understand the fuss, but to each their own.....I like "Is That All" from October for my own reasons, despite even hardcore U2 fans disliking it. It's all, as you know, highly subjective. :shrug:

I have always liked the studio version of Please, regardless of how much other people like, or dislike it, and regardless of how much better the LIVE version might be.
i agree with this except anyone who likes is that all needs to have their head checked :tsk:

I find it very easy to make these votes based solely on album versions. Album and live are 2 completely different things in my mind. I listen to albums a lot more than live (even though I do listen to live, and I love U2 live) and also my opinions on songs form long before I ever get to hear them live. I might appreciate a certain song live once I hear it, but lets say If I heard a really amazing version of a song live, I could appreciate that, but it wouldn't change my opinion of the album version. They could do Red Light next tour and blow me away, but I'm still gonna skip it when I listen to War. :wink:

:shrug: i just so happen to love the album. i don't know enough about music to complain about how it is mixed. i love these songs. this never was a live survivor. all the survivors i've voted after listening to the album and giving some serious thought to a track preference, something i just haven't had to do for pop because i simply love it.

No spoken words said:

See? Any two people, if they look hard enough, can find some common ground. :)

There is something about the guitar on that song that really speaks to me. Eh.

It has the highest playcount on my Itunes list for October. I think one night I had my headphones on and just put the song on repeat and listened to it forever... it makes my heart soar.
Sounds corny I know but yes there is something about it. :)

bonocomet said:

It has the highest playcount on my Itunes list for October. I think one night I had my headphones on and just put the song on repeat and listened to it forever... it makes my heart soar.
Sounds corny I know but yes there is something about it. :)

:hi5:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom