Rest of U2 Survivor: Passengers - Round 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• United Colours

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Slug

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Your Blue Room

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Always Forever Now

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Beach Sequence

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • ... Let's Go Native

Votes: 24 58.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
coolian2 said:
I'm really lagging behind, i'll blame it on watching the cricket even though i was posting during the most tense part.

I'm writing down your museum suggestions, although i don't think i'll be staying at long next time so it may take me a little while.

Such a great city with a waterfront that doesn't suck. Sigh...

I'm not sure if the stuff in Paekakariki would be that interesting to a non-local, though if Steam Inc. is open, it's always good to get up close with a huge steam locomotive and have a look around. They run great excursions out of there. But the Tramway Museum has a nice little run down to a quiet beach and picnic area, and Southwards has the largest car collection in the Southern Hemisphere and some other stuff to boot.

I always feel like I never have enough time when I'm back in Wellington to go and do things. All I really want to do is spend a few days just wandering around the Kapiti Coast and discovering parts of Wellington city I haven't seen.

Meanwhile, i suck with North American famous places. I only accurately got the Skydome and the Miller Brewery.

I'm sure I'd suck. No way would I get the Miller Brewery. I don't know what it is! Well, obviously a brewery. But beyond that, not a clue.

Native Son is SOOOOOO much better than Vertigo. WTF were they thinking?

(I'm listening to the unreleased bunch from HTDAAB/ATYCLB, which wasn't intentional but rather where iTunes wandered after Unforgettable Fire and Unforgettable Fire b-sides and Unforgettable Fire sessions.)

Varitek said:
So what is everyone listenting to?

Dream Theater at the moment. Our earlier exchange prompted me to put on Images And Words.

Surrounded. :drool:

It was fucking amazing live last month.

Axver said:

I'm sure I'd suck. No way would I get the Miller Brewery. I don't know what it is! Well, obviously a brewery. But beyond that, not a clue.

Is that in Colorado? Or is that Coors? Milwake is Beast...I don't know shit American beer very well, and I don't really want to. I think I'd do pretty badly at that one too.

Varitek said:
Native Son is SOOOOOO much better than Vertigo. WTF were they thinking?

YES. I realised that back in December. I hadn't played either in well over a year, but I was making a compilation of non-album material for my father, as he's got most of the albums so I thought I'd give him some stuff he doesn't know, and in the process I played Native Son. It struck me that it's ... well, good.

Axver said:

YES. I realised that back in December. I hadn't played either in well over a year, but I was making a compilation of non-album material for my father, as he's got most of the albums so I thought I'd give him some stuff he doesn't know, and in the process I played Native Son. It struck me that it's ... well, good.

Seriously, did we ever get an explaination on why they fucked the album up after they had a good one? I also like Yahweh better, none of that excessive kitcsh in the music.

Axver said:

I always feel like I never have enough time when I'm back in Wellington to go and do things. All I really want to do is spend a few days just wandering around the Kapiti Coast and discovering parts of Wellington city I haven't seen.

I don't really know if i want to finish off Wellington itself before moving onto the Kapiti Coast or expand instantly.

My stadium nerdiness got me through the Miller Brewery, somehow.

Varitek said:
Seriously, did we ever get an explaination on why they fucked the album up after they had a good one? I also like Yahweh better, none of that excessive kitcsh in the music.

I think they decided Vertigo had more trappings of a hit. War-era Bono would totally kick the shit out of today's Bono for ditching the political lyrics.

Not sure how I feel on Yahweh - I haven't played either version in ages! I remember I used to prefer the album version, but who knows if I stand by that. I'd play it now but Spicks & Specks is about to start and it's one of the precious few half hours of television that I watch.

coolian2 said:
I don't really know if i want to finish off Wellington itself before moving onto the Kapiti Coast or expand instantly.

I say go where the trains take you - which would be Paraparaumu. :wink:

My stadium nerdiness got me through the Miller Brewery, somehow.

:lol:

Hey, what site do you recommend for stadium info for my fantasy setlist database? I use worldstadiums.com for most countries and austadiums.com for this part of the world, but do you know of better?

As for the ATYCLB stuff, I love Levitate and Flower Child. Soooo much better than much of the last half of the album. Are You Gonna Wait Forever too.

Axver said:
I'd play it now but Spicks & Specks is about to start and it's one of the precious few half hours of television that I watch.

How I Met Your Mother. If you wear a suit, you can't help but like it.

Also, live tv?? I never watch live anymore.

The only TV I watch besides sport and the news is Top Gear, Spicks & Specks, and The Chaser's War On Everything.

Varitek said:
As for the ATYCLB stuff, I love Levitate and Flower Child. Soooo much better than much of the last half of the album. Are You Gonna Wait Forever too.

Levitate has that line about "freedom has a scent/It's like the top of a newborn baby's head/MAYBE WE CAN TASTE IT". Epic fail, Bono.

Axver said:

I say go where the trains take you - which would be Paraparaumu. :wink:

Hey, what site do you recommend for stadium info for my fantasy setlist database? I use worldstadiums.com for most countries and austadiums.com for this part of the world, but do you know of better?

:lol: , i was close to going to Paraparaumu last time, but i think we decided to go back to the city for reasons i can't entirely recall.

The only worthwhile stadium websites i can think of are worldstadiums and austadiums (i'm a forum member with 1300 posts!).

Perhaps Wikipedia might be useful somehow - if it's good enough for a tinpot little football league it's good enough for U2.

Axver said:

Levitate has that line about "freedom has a scent/It's like the top of a newborn baby's head/MAYBE WE CAN TASTE IT". Epic fail, Bono.

Worth it for the Leviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate line.

Maybe. Just. Perhaps. Maybe not.

coolian2 said:
The only worthwhile stadium websites i can think of are worldstadiums and austadiums (i'm a forum member with 1300 posts!).

Perhaps Wikipedia might be useful somehow - if it's good enough for a tinpot little football league it's good enough for U2.

Ah, righto. I'd really only used those two sites because they were the first two I ended up on, so I figured if there were other good ones out there, you'd know. I've occasionally read the austadiums forum and I'm guessing you're IanRitchie there, but I haven't registered.

I remember I did once stumble across some site with every single pokey little Tassie cricket/AFL ground and I made a point of noting them all down. Unfortunately, I can't remember the URL for it and when I was using it, I got the feeling it wasn't going to be around long (which is why I noted all the venues!).

Axver said:
The only TV I watch besides sport and the news is Top Gear, Spicks & Specks, and The Chaser's War On Everything.

The Maybe we can taste it part is bad, bad bad, but I have never minded the baby's head thing...I like babies and I know what he's talking about.

And Flower Child has brilliant lyrics.

Varitek said:
The Maybe we can taste it part is bad, bad bad, but I have never minded the baby's head thing...I like babies and I know what he's talking about.

And Flower Child has brilliant lyrics.

But ... he wants to taste babies' heads! No, Bono, no cannibalism for you!

And I agree about Flower Child. Songs like Flower Child and Smile give me hope that all is not lost.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's "baby we can taste it" which isn't as bad...baby we can taste freedom (which has a scent like....)

And I love the Levitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate and love as hard as hate.

But the bee/flower/sweetness/sour thing is dumb. Bono often couples brilliance in lyrics with idiocy. See: So Cruel, Who's Gonne Ride Your Wild Horses.

Varitek said:
Actually I'm pretty sure it's "baby we can taste it" which isn't as bad...baby we can taste freedom (which has a scent like....)

Bah, seems like U2Wanderer.org doesn't have lyrics for Levitate. Either way, that lyric is an epic fail.

But the bee/flower/sweetness/sour thing is dumb. Bono often couples brilliance in lyrics with idiocy. See: So Cruel, Who's Gonne Ride Your Wild Horses.

The best example of this is undoubtedly Mercy.

Oh shit, now this thread is doomed.

U2 punish Auckland for ... being Auckland. Spot the difference between the sets.

2005-10-21: Eden Park, Auckland - New Zealand

Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
October
New Year's Day
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
I Threw A Brick Through A Window
A Day Without Me
Gloria
An Cat Dubh
Into The Heart
City Of Blinding Lights
Where The Streets Have No Name
One Tree Hill
Promenade
4th Of July
Bad
The Fly

Gone
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
One

Discothèque
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
With Or Without You

2005-10-22: Eden Park, Auckland - New Zealand

With Or Without You
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Discothèque
One
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Until The End Of The World
Gone
The Fly
Bad
4th Of July
Promenade
One Tree Hill
Where The Streets Have No Name
City Of Blinding Lights
Into The Heart
An Cat Dubh

Gloria
A Day Without Me
I Threw A Brick Through A Window
11 O'Clock Tick Tock

New Year's Day
October
Running To Stand Still
Bullet The Blue Sky

Smile is fabulous.

Axver said:

Bah, seems like U2Wanderer.org doesn't have lyrics for Levitate. Either way, that lyric is an epic fail.

Various lyrics sites have it but they aren't that reliable. I just listened to it again.

The best example of this is undoubtedly EDIT.

Oh shit, now this thread is doomed.

see above Axver, see above.

(I agree. I can't wait for them to finish it...)

Varitek said:
Smile is fabulous.

I honestly think it's the best song to come out of the HTDAAB sessions. It actually has atmosphere and decent lyrics and all that good stuff.

Various lyrics sites have it but they aren't that reliable. I just listened to it again.

Yeah, I just don't trust any site for U2 lyrics other than U2Wanderer. I hate to think what U2.com has for Levitate. Probably "I and I in the sky/You make me feel like I can fly/So high/Levitation".

see above Axver, see above.

Axver said:
U2 punish Auckland for ... being Auckland. Spot the difference between the sets.

2005-10-21: Eden Park, Auckland - New Zealand

2005-10-22: Eden Park, Auckland - New Zealand

I don't care that they play the same songs backwards, that is a great collection of songs I wish U2 would play and I would gladly go to either or both shows for much, much money. (now if you'd just add Stay, ASOH, TUF...Actually I've decided I'd like to just see them perform UF in full.)

coolian2 said:
I'm miserable enough they'd place a piece of shit like Eden Park

I knew you would be. Their schedule for the general vicinity of Auckland:

2005-10-17 - Papatoetoe, New Zealand - Town Hall
2005-10-18 - Pukekohe, New Zealand - Pukekohe Stadium
2005-10-20 - Auckland, New Zealand - One Tree Hill
2005-10-21 - Auckland, New Zealand - Eden Park
2005-10-22 - Auckland, New Zealand - Eden Park
2005-10-24 - Auckland, New Zealand - Ericsson Stadium
2005-10-25 - Albany, New Zealand - North Harbour Stadium
2005-10-27 - Wellsford, New Zealand - Wellsford District Community Centre
2005-10-28 - Wellsford, New Zealand - Wellsford District Community Centre