Rest of U2 Survivor: Passengers - Round 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• United Colours

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Slug

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Your Blue Room

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Always Forever Now

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Beach Sequence

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • ... Let's Go Native

Votes: 24 58.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

I honestly think it's the best song to come out of the HTDAAB sessions. It actually has atmosphere and decent lyrics and all that good stuff.

Yeah, I just don't trust any site for U2 lyrics other than U2Wanderer. I hate to think what U2.com has for Levitate. Probably "I and I in the sky/You make me feel like I can fly/So high/Levitation".

It's on some generic lyrics clearinghouse sites, but my own ears say it's Baby. I also trust macphisto, partly because it's way easier to navigate. Also, I thought that was Iodine for a very long time. Like, 5 years.

I think EDIT and Smile have some interesting similarities in their sentiment (speculation on band's personal life here) and music.

Axver said:

I knew you would be. Their schedule for the general vicinity of Auckland:

2005-10-17 - Papatoetoe, New Zealand - Town Hall
2005-10-18 - Pukekohe, New Zealand - Pukekohe Stadium
2005-10-20 - Auckland, New Zealand - One Tree Hill
2005-10-21 - Auckland, New Zealand - Eden Park
2005-10-22 - Auckland, New Zealand - Eden Park
2005-10-24 - Auckland, New Zealand - Ericsson Stadium
2005-10-25 - Albany, New Zealand - North Harbour Stadium
2005-10-27 - Wellsford, New Zealand - Wellsford District Community Centre
2005-10-28 - Wellsford, New Zealand - Wellsford District Community Centre

Some of those are OK. Needs more Auckland, New Zealand - Millhouse Reserve, Botany though.

Varitek said:

I don't care that they play the same songs backwards, that is a great collection of songs I wish U2 would play and I would gladly go to either or both shows for much, much money. (now if you'd just add Stay, ASOH, TUF...Actually I've decided I'd like to just see them perform UF in full.)

I'd pay good money to hear 40 open a show and to see how the hell they do Into The Heart --> An Cat Dubh.

Now, as you can imagine, UF crops up a fair bit in my sets. This is one of my favourites.

2005-03-29, Milford Sound, Fjordland - New Zealand

The Three Sunrises
A Sort Of Homecoming
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Love Comes Tumbling
Indian Summer Sky
Elvis Presley And America
MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
4th Of July
Bad
Bass Trap
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
Out Of Control
God Part II
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Twilight
City Of Blinding Lights
Where The Streets Have No Name
One Tree Hill
The Ocean

Just one long atmospheric set of UF awesomeness aboard a vessel in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.

Axver said:

I'd pay good money to hear 40 open a show and to see how the hell they do Into The Heart --> An Cat Dubh.

Now, as you can imagine, UF crops up a fair bit in my sets. This is one of my favourites.

2005-03-29, Milford Sound, Fjordland - New Zealand

The Three Sunrises
A Sort Of Homecoming
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Love Comes Tumbling
Indian Summer Sky
Elvis Presley And America
MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
4th Of July
Bad
Bass Trap
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
Out Of Control
God Part II
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Twilight
City Of Blinding Lights
Where The Streets Have No Name
One Tree Hill
The Ocean

Just one long atmospheric set of UF awesomeness aboard a vessel in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.

Amazing setlist, though Out Of Control much as I love it seems a little out of place, and I'd throw in Hallelujah here She Comes

Varitek said:
It's on some generic lyrics clearinghouse sites, but my own ears say it's Baby. I also trust macphisto, partly because it's way easier to navigate. Also, I thought that was Iodine for a very long time. Like, 5 years.

I should trust macphisto.net too - it's run by the guy I co-maintain U2VT with!

I like to sing Elevation with 'iodine'. I believe I did that at a few concerts actually. I also counted in Vertigo in Maori in Auckland.

I think EDIT and Smile have some interesting similarities in their sentiment (speculation on band's personal life here) and music.

Smile certainly captures something EDIT does not though, at least to my ears.

coolian2 said:

Not so much, no.

But i'd still pay to see it

I'd pay to see U2 perform pretty much anything of theirs, except:

Red Light
Elvis Ate America

Also, Elvis Presley and America would probably not work live.

coolian2 said:
Some of those are OK. Needs more Auckland, New Zealand - Millhouse Reserve, Botany though.

U2 just want to get through Auckland as quickly as possible while still catering to the market, though. :wink:

I think I have them doing about 10 or so gigs in Wellington though! And a whole couple of legs on the Kapiti Coast ... which includes gigs at my childhood home, a playground I liked when I was little, and the local library's meeting room.

Varitek said:
Amazing setlist, though Out Of Control much as I love it seems a little out of place, and I'd throw in Hallelujah here She Comes

I've always thought SSIKC's bass outro would segue well into the start of OOC. I often use that transition to move out of soft segments and instrumental passages into a more upbeat and rocking part.

Varitek said:

This is the truth. But in Fantasy Setlist Land, U2 can make anything work. Bono rehearses there. :wink:

Varitek said:

I'd pay to see U2 perform pretty much anything of theirs, except:

Red Light
Elvis Ate America

I'd sit through those two under the provision they played Stay and One Tree Hill or a similar really good combo so that i can pretend Red Light and Elvis Ate America didn't happen.

I suspect Elvis Presley and America would be somewhat of an unmitigated disaster for all involved.

coolian2 said:
I suspect Elvis Presley and America would be somewhat of an unmitigated disaster for all involved.

Apparently Fantasy U2 somewhat agree, as they don't do it much!

This song has been played at the following 7 shows:

2005-03-23 - Wanaka, New Zealand - Wanaka Showgrounds
2005-03-29 - Fjordland, New Zealand - Milford Sound
2006-02-27 - Umtata, South Africa - Independence Stadium
2006-10-15 - Tombouctou, Mali - Place de l'Independence
2007-02-22 - San Pédro, Ivory Coast - Stade Auguste Denis
2007-04-18 - Sabha, Libya - Sabha Stadium
2007-06-13 - Aden, Yemen - Al-Shohada'a Stadium

Also, I just listened to Levitate and that's definitely "maybe we can taste it". I'd bet a newborn baby's head on it.

Axver said:

Smile certainly captures something EDIT does not though, at least to my ears.

Smile has more musically going on in the versions we hear, though EDIT improves with headphones and has a lot of potential still.

What really strikes me as similar besides some of the musical themes and the overall feeling behind the songs is the refrains of I will live again/I'm alive again.

As for lyrics, let's do a little scoresheet
.....................EDIT....Smile
heart............. 3 .........1
knees etc.......0 ........1
soul ...............0.........1

Smile, I always notice, packs every Bono cliche. Why does he need ground to kneel upon? Why for the love of god can't he stand on the ground for once? Heart is acceptable use, but soul again - "love is in this soul of mine" is one of those lines that you add "kneeling" too and it becomes every joke about Bono's lyrics writing ever. (I do like most of Smile's lyrics...just sayin')

EDIT has 3 of the same word, 2 contained in the same line which is a brilliant line, and 1 in a later line which isn't too shabby itself. and while EDIT has some absurd lyrics, a lot are absolutely brilliant, and it was never finalized for release so we don't know what it could have been, but hopefully we will know.

Fuck, Native Son is such a good song. Just listened to it after Levitate and Love You Like Mad It's the kind of thing that could get me right into modern day U2.

And Smile! This is even better. :drool:

Varitek said:
As for lyrics, let's do a little scoresheet
.....................EDIT....Smile
heart............. 3 .........1
knees etc.......0 ........1
soul ...............0.........1

:lmao:

Smile, I always notice, packs every Bono cliche. Why does he need ground to kneel upon? Why for the love of god can't he stand on the ground for once? Heart is acceptable use, but soul again - "love is in this soul of mine" is one of those lines that you add "kneeling" too and it becomes every joke about Bono's lyrics writing ever. (I do like most of Smile's lyrics...just sayin')

OK, your comment about adding kneel to the soul line made me laugh maniacally for some unknown reason. Shit, my window's open too. I must sound like a nut if any of the neighbours are listening. I think that despite having the cliche words, Smile manages to actually work. It doesn't feel as forced as "you teach me how to kneel". I think it and Native Son sound the most natural of the songs from HTDAAB.

Just listening to the two Yahwehs now.

coolian2 said:

I'd sit through those two under the provision they played Stay and One Tree Hill or a similar really good combo so that i can pretend Red Light and Elvis Ate America didn't happen.

Oh I would too, I'd probably sit through it for them to play me Streets and Vertigo which I've seen 6 times before. I was just saying that the only two songs I wouldn't pay to hear U2 perform are Red Light and Elvis Ate America, on their own or together, but without anything else to sweeten the pot. Yup, I think I'd even pay for Wild Honey, though not a lot.

Axver said:

I've always thought SSIKC's bass outro would segue well into the start of OOC. I often use that transition to move out of soft segments and instrumental passages into a more upbeat and rocking part.

But I think OOC doesn't go well with your atmospheric setlist there, and I stand by HHSC as a great addition to an atmospheric setlist.

Varitek said:

Oh I would too, I'd probably sit through it for them to play me Streets and Vertigo which I've seen 6 times before. I was just saying that the only two songs I wouldn't pay to hear U2 perform are Red Light and Elvis Ate America, on their own or together, but without anything else to sweeten the pot. Yup, I think I'd even pay for Wild Honey, though not a lot.

I probably wouldn't pay for Long Rambling Speech (snippet) / One either.

Perhaps One by itself if they do it properly.

coolian2 said:
Or i could just keep voting for Your Blue Room.

It's the pedokiss way!

No, listen to Passengers. It's good for you.

Varitek said:

By themselves, I wouldn't pay for SYCMIOYO, One, TTTYAATW, Ultra Violet, Elvis Ate America, Stuck, or IALW. Just about everything else I'd be willing to hear. Hell, even A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel, since it's never been played.

But I think OOC doesn't go well with your atmospheric setlist there, and I stand by HHSC as a great addition to an atmospheric setlist.

Ah, right. Both good points.

Varitek said:
Axver, what say you to my defense of EDIT? Can you not respond with unkind words?

No, I actually agree and have nothing to add. Some lyrics suck, some are good, and all in all, it'd be really nice to hear a completed version. I'm not madly in love with Mercy but I don't despise it either. It gets a "meh" from me at this stage.

Also, regarding Yahweh, the alternate version's start is decent while the album version sounds like absolute dogshit. Getting further into the song, I'm not noticing substantial difference, though I'd say the alternate version is slightly better.

Axver said:

Also, regarding Yahweh, the alternate version's start is decent while the album version sounds like absolute dogshit. Getting further into the song, I'm not noticing substantial difference, though I'd say the alternate version is slightly better.

It's the beginning of Yahweh that kills the song for me though. Also some of the lyrics are crap, but some are OK. Also I'm an atheist and the really overtly religious songs that have very little room non-religious interpretations don't really strike a chord with me.

coolian2 said:
So close to a brilliant album....

Or at least a good one. But wow, the mixing on this thing is HORRIFIC. Crumbs is just a complete trainwreck in a mixing sense. I can't stand how Bono's esses sound. And some of the lyrics are just too stupid. Yet I think it's in the top three songs. :|

Wait, why the hell are we discussing U2 in this thread? I thought Bono had nothing to do with it. :wink:

Varitek said:
It's the beginning of Yahweh that kills the song for me though. Also some of the lyrics are crap, but some are OK. Also I'm an atheist and the really overtly religious songs that have very little room non-religious interpretations don't really strike a chord with me.

Yeah, I'm an agnostic, so I know what you mean. Also, "Yahweh/You're waiting" at one point is just ... terribly, agonisingly lame.

Though there isn't actually much room to manoeuvre with something like Gloria and I still adore that song. I guess it's simply done right.

I actually gave the remaining songs a listen last night. First time in ages. I can def say I still enjoy ..Native more than United Colours and Always Forever Now. I really liked hearing Slug again and Beach Sequence is just a lovely piece of music.

Varitek said:
Also I'm an atheist and the really overtly religious songs that have very little room non-religious interpretations don't really strike a chord with me.

True, and similar to what Axver said Gloria is good enough to get through it whereas, in my opinion, Yahweh isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom