Rest of U2 Survivor: October - Round 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Gloria

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Fall Down

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I Threw a Brick Through a Window

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rejoice

• Fire

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Tomorrow

• With a Shout

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Stranger In a Strange Land

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Scarlet

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
Is That All? was given a solid thumping (25 votes), after six pages of rousing discussions.

VOTE FOR YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SONG

Polls will remain open for 48 hours.
Songs in this round:

- Gloria
- I Fall Down
- I Threw A Brick
- Rejoice
- Fire
- Tomorrow
- With A Shout
- Stranger In A Strange Land
- Scarlet

Criteria for song selection (at least for the albums): anything on the regular pressings of the Best Of 1980-1990, Best Of 1990-2000, and U2:18 is excluded.

BritBrit votes for Stranger In a Strange Land.

She feels it is not up to par, ya'll.

I actually love Stranger too.. but gotta vote for something. :( Damn, so many excellent songs on this album!

SIASL. If any song is just a collection of various musical ideas haphazardly pieced together to give some vague resemblance of a song, this is indeed it.

originally posted by Phillyfan

It's from U2 by U2:

On One:

Edge: "I walked in literally as the boys had completed the last mix of One and said, 'I've got a great guitar part for the end of One.' It was like telling them someone had died. I had to really get forceful to convince them to allow me to record this guitar part."

On The Fly:

Bono: "David Bowie was with us one night ... we asked his advice on 'The Fly.' ... He said, 'Re-record it.' He was right but we had run out of time. It took us fifteen years to really get it right live."

On the end of the Achtung Baby sessions:

Edge: "We just ran out of time. I had to grab all the tapes, which were all in different format ... stuff all over the place, there was a taxi outside waiting, I jumped in the taxi and headed straight off to the airport. I basically slept all the way to LA ... and spent four days in the mastering room trying to make sense of it all, hoping I wasn't fucking up the album. By the end I was just complete toast. I don't think I was making any sense at all."

ETA: I forgot to note, that, although not in the quote, the quote from One was on the last night in the studio. The context of that was lost by the way I placed them in here, though.

Re: One - that is interesting- I've always loved the live guitar part. So even though he says "he had to get forceful" this did not make it onto the album, correct?

Re: The Fly - also interesting (btw I'm glad you've read that book there's ALOT to digest in there) - Bono says it right there- "it took us 15 years to get it right" - excellent quote, you've made your point well. It also makes me realize, and I hope you won't find this too annoying, but maybe I didn't define my terms clearly enough at the outset. While you've proven that Bono and probably all of them don't consider "The Fly" as recorded on AB to be it's most perfect form, I still think that to most listeners it sounds like a well-developed song when compared to something like, Is That All or Scarlet or I Threw a Brick or I fall Down. There more structure, more punch, more development of various ideas and the verse-chorus-verse in support of the concept of the song.

Perhaps the term I should really have used is "demo" - to me at least half of October, basically everything but the "top 3" sound more like something from the Salome Tapes or the JT outtakes (Rise Up, Beautiful Ghost, Desert of Our Love) than a developed song you expect to find on a full-length album.

Anyway, thanks for the quotes, they made the point for One and The Fly.

dr. zooeuss said:

Re: One - that is interesting- I've always loved the live guitar part. So even though he says "he had to get forceful" this did not make it onto the album, correct?

Re: The Fly - also interesting (btw I'm glad you've read that book there's ALOT to digest in there) - Bono says it right there- "it took us 15 years to get it right" - excellent quote, you've made your point well. It also makes me realize, and I hope you won't find this too annoying, but maybe I didn't define my terms clearly enough at the outset. While you've proven that Bono and probably all of them don't consider "The Fly" as recorded on AB to be it's most perfect form, I still think that to most listeners it sounds like a well-developed song when compared to something like, Is That All or Scarlet or I Threw a Brick or I fall Down. There more structure, more punch, more development of various ideas and the verse-chorus-verse in support of the concept of the song.

Perhaps the term I should really have used is "demo" - to me at least half of October, basically everything but the "top 3" sound more like something from the Salome Tapes or the JT outtakes (Rise Up, Beautiful Ghost, Desert of Our Love) than a developed song you expect to find on a full-length album.

Anyway, thanks for the quotes, they made the point for One and The Fly.

For One, they gave him one take, and put on the album what he could do in one take. Given a week more, I guarantee the solo at the end is much similar to what you get there.

I think for The Fly, there was immediate changes in the live setting, specifically a much clearer second half of the song, much less congestion.

For October, I think in some respects there are, but then again, they really took what they had an kept it. I think they had a couple more songs that were just thrown together (i.e.: Is That All, SIASL), whereas Achtung had 12 definitive songs. I think the difference is, if you give Achtung more time, you probably get the same 12 songs, but more developed. If you give October more time, you have about seven or eight of the same songs, and then three or four completely different songs.

That said, SIASL.

originally posted by Axver

OK, either you've misread what I've said, or I've misread what you've said.

I misread what you said, and I apologize. I'm not familiar with The Silver Lining and have only heard the Studio version of 11 O'Clock a few times. You're a U2 history scholar, haha. :wink:

I was talking about the name change from Silver Lining to 11 O'Clock, and missed the fact that you were also discussing two versions of 11OTT.

Well, I agree with why you think they played material before releasing it - they pretty much had to. But my point is that as a by-product of that, by the time they got into the studio to record Boy, they knew these songs very, very well. All you need to do is listen to the February 1979 version of Twilight (on Another Day's single) or the June 1979 versions of OOC and SFB (on U2:3) to see how these songs evolved from then through to mid-1980.

I suppose maybe I'm enough of a fan I should look those up, but I have to admit, the very early rare stuff I've heard usually serves to just show me how far they've come. Often I'd rather spend that time listening to other bands and other types of music.

U2, for better or worse, no longer choose to air anything that isn't already laid down in the studio, and I think one consequence of that is a number of songs are not fully completed until later.

Haha, we've been around this one several times now. I see where you're coming from, but I still don't see it as an issue of finshed//unfinished. I see it as different versions of the songs, more akin to a remix or something. They are a great live band and they tour extensively- they enjoy reworking songs and versions of them for various tours, and I'm sure it also keeps it more interesting for them. To make an extreme example, does the acoustic PopMart version of SBS mean the War version is unfinished? I doubt many people would say so. I think you're likely to say that it doesn't because it came about 14 years after the album... admittedly a long time, but if it had come within six months of the album, it might indicate it was unfinished (but then only if those changes stood the test of time).

I don't mean to sound aloof, but that disctinction doesn't interest me so much. I love the fact that they change songs for live performance and for me it shows another dimension of their creativity. If they were to have given themselves that extra six months so that the six AB songs you mentioned were recorded more similarly to the live versions played on ZooTV, I'd pretty much see that as a bad thing. Something that hampers their creativity. Something that makes their live shows less interesting, and more like listening to the album at home.

It seems to me you and Philly maybe really wish to discuss the studio vs live versions of AB songs. I never really realized that was such a fertile topic. If you want to start a new thread on it, that's cool with me. I'm having a difficult time giving it the attention it deserves without seeing it as a distraction, because to me the October era and the AB era are very different, and the types of "unfinished" we're talking about are also very different.

This has some truth, but I'd like to make two points:

1. One of the October "top 3" was victim of this too. Tomorrow was played thrice in 1982 and about thirty times over the period of about 2 months in 1983, and has never been heard from again.
2. When the final October songs (barring Gloria and October) were cut, U2 at the time were making a subtle break with the past in their live sets. Songs like I Fall Down and ITABTAW ended their live career around the same time as the likes of Surrender, Twilight, THBAO, An Cat Dubh, Wire, et al. Now, yes, a couple of those have been briefly resurrected at later stages, but you certainly notice a big difference between the 1984-5 setlists and those of 1987. So I'm not sure you can really say the October songs discarded at that point were discarded due to being unfinished filler, as a lot of other stuff went around that time, material most of us would not consider filler.

I would agree that the obvious filler and unfinished tracks had an understandably brief live career. SIASL's unfinished nature didn't lend itself to live performances. The Cry stayed as The Cry and was never done as ITA. Scarlet, we could argue for hours about whether it was filler or just didn't suit being played live (though was done once). I'd say Rejoice was neither filler nor unfinished but just too demanding on Larry.

Good points, but it still remains October is by far the least drawn-from album on tour- only Gloria has been played live in the last 16 years, and until the Vertigo tour, Gloria had only been played once (as a snippet) since 1990.

Because this forum can't stop falling over itself to praise that shoddy album?

Woo, shoddy, eh? :wink: Sorry if I was unclear- I'm talking about U2 themselves regarding the AB album AS A WHOLE, not the opinions of any fans on any forums.

All good, relevant quotes - they certainly illustrate the point. I do wonder how much revisionist history there is, knowing U2's changing attitudes towards Pop, though I think even around the time of October there were comments along the lines you posted.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think October is not exceptionally incomplete, and has a good number of individual songs - the majority - that, to me, seem pretty finished and were not redeveloped live. They sound rushed, especially lyrically.

Yes, to me it's always seem much more rushed than anything they've released, including Pop.

The album itself, as an overall piece of work, is incomplete -

;)

the Scarlet/ITA passage proves that as a work of art, it was never pieced together properly. But as for many of the songs themselves? I see no reason to believe Gloria, ITABTAW, Rejoice, Fire, Tomorrow, October, WAS, or Scarlet are any more unfinished than WOWY, One, Discotheque, Bullet, etc. Whether they're more complete - now that's contentious, depending on your comparisons and personal favourites.

Fair enough, though i probably could get into a detailed analysis of why I think I Fall Down, I threw a brick, Rejoice, With a Shout, Scarlet and Fire sound less finished than the subsequent songs you mention, I'm not sure I reeeally want to get into that. I think we've all made our points pretty well, and part of our seeing if differently comes from our different criteria for evaluating these terms.

Originally posted by Axver

Now shall we continue this on round 2's thread?

Carry on sir. :wink:

Last edited:
Scarlet, but looks like Stranger is next off the island. Going to start getting tough in a round or 2...

Like I did on the first round I voted for Stranger In A Strange Land.
It`s the weakest song ( I think ) of the whole album.
( yes indeed weaker than...Is That All?:wink: )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

I actually decided to listen to October today because I hadn't done it in ages and I just remembered how good it actually is. I don't get why people don't like this album it's great. The first 8 tracks are all great nothing bad there at all, sure the last 3 songs aren't as good but Stranger is a good song, Scarlet is good (although I'd probably like it more if it actually ended the album) and Is That All? is an okay song, I want to dislike that song but it has The Cry's guitar so I just can't.

Come on people the album has Gloria and Tomorrow on it, two absolutely brilliant songs. I hope Rejoice stays until the last 3 too it's a really great song and Larry solos for like the only time ever.

Anyway I voted for Stranger

I voted Fire again, don't suppose it will matter til the next round or two tho. :wink: It's still my least favorite on the album.

Back
Top Bottom