Rest of U2 Survivor: NON-ALBUM TRACKS 1990-99 - Round 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Alex Descends Into Hell...

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Lady With the Spinning Head

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Salome

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Slow Dancing

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • North and South of the River

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Two Shots of Happy...

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Where Did It All Go Wrong is out with 14

VOTE FOR YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SONG

Polls will remain open for 24 hours for the non-album track rounds.

Songs in this round:

- Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1
- Lady With The Spinning Head
- Salome
- Where Did It All Go Wrong?
- Slow Dancing
- Holy Joe
- North And South Of The River
- Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad

Criteria for song selection (at least for the albums): anything on the regular pressings of the Best Of 1980-1990, Best Of 1990-2000, and U2:18 is excluded.

I can't believe you people kicked out Where Did It All Go Wrong? :tsk:

Salome, Slow Dancing, and Two Shots should all be long gone and WDIAGW still here. Not sure which of the three I want to vote for yet ...

"Lady With The Spinning Head" is going to be a tough one to defeat. It's earned only two votes so far in this competition. Catchy, well thought out tune that is probably in the "top four or five" from this period for everyone here, if not higher. Cons though involve a lot of its finer elements being used in other Achtung-era songs.

"North and South of the River" is my all time favorite U2 b-side, particularly the live television version. I don't think the political message is too overt, allowing it to be interpreted so many different ways. Most importantly, the melody feels like a river and transports you into another realm nearly instantly.

"Slow Dancing" with Willie is admittedly a travesty. The original recording though has a lot of breathing room, given its sparseness. Forgettable, but a pleasure to listen to even if you walk away unmoved.

"Alex" is built upon a visual presentation that we can't see and can be considered a non-U2 track. Sure, "Hands" was written for a motion picture but the track has clearly defined intentions. I've never seen A Clockwork Orange or the stage production so I have no idea what's up. Why do I get the feeling that the next album will have a track in the vein of "Elevation"/"Vertigo" called "Korova"?

On a similar note, I'm pretty sure "Two Shots" is not a full band recording and certainly don't consider it as such. It might just be Bono. But I guess once a track like this or "I've Got You Under My Skin" is released on a single with a U2 designation we can consider it to be one of the family. Ignoring the designation crap, it's actually a pretty well structured Sinatra-esque bit even if Bono isn't hammy enough to fit the lounge act persona.

"Salome" is a midly irritating meat-and-potatoes rock track until you hit up the dazzling, free-falling remix. It's a pretty well-charcoaled sketch of a song that might've worked on AB if it had some sort of "the future is now, forget about the past" kind of music underlying it. Otherwise, it's indistinguishable from the "Fortunate Son" cover and seems like it might've came out of the Rattle and Hum sessions. I doubt it, considering that it shows up in skeletal form on that popular 3 disc bootleg of studio sessions...but who knows? Axver?

Last edited:
3 more songs need one vote each. Then Lady With The Spinning Head wins in a 5-song elimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom