Rest of U2 Survivor: Boy - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST favorite song

• Twilight

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Out of Control

• Stories For Boys

• The Ocean

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • A Day Without Me

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Another Time, Another Place

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • The Electric Co.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shadows and Tall Trees

Votes: 27 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SATT is a good song. Hardly the best here, but it's solid, has some atmosphere, and is a sign of some things to come. The "shadows, shadows, shadows" part is good too; I don't see the problem.

The Ocean, however, is clearly the dullest piece of work on Boy.

And WTF, someone voted for Twilight? :huh:

Two votes for Twilight?

Do you people have J. Swallow labelled as Twilight on your copies of Boy or something? I mean, this is only one of the best songs U2 have ever recorded. The Another Day b-side version is a joke, true, but the studio version absolutely dominates this album along with The Electric Co. Everything else just pales in comparison.

Actually Axver you are correct. My iTunes lists Twilight @ 3 Stars whereas three other songs get 2. Bummer, my vote was wrong!

I *actually* think the worst track is Shadows and Tall Trees.

Must listen to Boy more :|

Axver said:
SATT is a good song. Hardly the best here, but it's solid, has some atmosphere, and is a sign of some things to come. The "shadows, shadows, shadows" part is good too; I don't see the problem.

The Ocean, however, is clearly the dullest piece of work on Boy.

I'll agree with the kudos on the first part of the song but no, the ending is horrible, sorry.

I'll be voting for Ocean next... I think it beats Shadows in my book because they brought it out on the last tour, so I got to hear it live, and it references some famous literature. (...I guess Shadows does that too, but the ending just kills it for me)

I'm not gonna vote because I'm not very convinced about the matter of this new votation, but... why "Shadows And Tall Trees" and "The Ocean"?

I can see if many bands of 20 yr-old boys could write such short but so philosophical and atmospheric songs like "The Ocean".

"Another Time, Another Place" or "Stories For Boyes" are much more boring.

I think The Ocean is alright. It actually is a nice little song, whereas ATAP has never done anything for me whatsoever.

The Ocean and SATT will be my next two votes, if they last that long.

I feel the need to plea Shadows and Tall Trees's case one last time.

I think maybe the reason I like this song so much is because I can identify with what he was feeling. I can picture him, 17 years old, walking alone through the streets at night, not wanting to go back to his house which is no longer a home.

Someday when I get a better video camera, I want to actually film a sort of video to go with it. I can picture black and white shots of a lonesome youth walking the street at night (in a hoodie, SYCMIOYO style), paired with point-of-view shots of everything he sees, be it sweeping shots of tree branches sillhouetted against the sky, IRA graffiti (Walls of white protest), Mrs. Brown's laundry hanging on the line, or a glance through a living room window at a happy family (Life through a window, discoloured pane), and then when the song reaches that great crescendo (Do you feel in meeeeeeee... anything redeeming, any worthwhile feeling?) the youth stops in his tracks, all alone and peers straight up into the dark sky, into the face of his maker, with that heartwrenching plea, before setting off again as the song returns the the chorus. The shouty outtro is punctuated by quick shots of trees, etc.

I thought it was a good idea, anyway.

Aygo said:
I'm not gonna vote because I'm not very convinced about the matter of this new votation

1. What on earth is "votation"?
2. What exactly is wrong with it?

I think it'll be okay - your one mistaken vote won't bring Twilight to its death this round. :wink:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

I think maybe the reason I like this song so much is because I can identify with what he was feeling. I can picture him, 17 years old, walking alone through the streets at night, not wanting to go back to his house which is no longer a home.

Someday when I get a better video camera, I want to actually film a sort of video to go with it. I can picture black and white shots of a lonesome youth walking the street at night (in a hoodie, SYCMIOYO style), paired with point-of-view shots of everything he sees, be it sweeping shots of tree branches sillhouetted against the sky, IRA graffiti (Walls of white protest), Mrs. Brown's laundry hanging on the line, or a glance through a living room window at a happy family (Life through a window, discoloured pane), and then when the song reaches that great crescendo (Do you feel in meeeeeeee... anything redeeming, any worthwhile feeling?) the youth stops in his tracks, all alone and peers straight up into the dark sky, into the face of his maker, with that heartwrenching plea, before setting off again as the song returns the the chorus. The shouty outtro is punctuated by quick shots of trees, etc.

This is more than a good idea , your video idea fits this song perfectly . This song is really heart renching "Do you feel in meeeeeeee... anything redeeming, any worthwhile feeling?

Aygo said:

"votation" = poll

Although my english is not that great, is not very hard to guess what I meant to say.

I don't think it's a word. It's not listed even on Merriam Webster online. You'd think they would know about it. :wink:

Aygo said:

"votation" = poll

Although my english is not that great, is not very hard to guess what I meant to say.

Yeah I don't think it's that hard to work out what you're saying.

I don't think it's cool to hassle people's english when it is their 2nd language.

I'm surprised there are so many votes for a change. Earlier this evening it was tied. :hmm:

Maybe just declare 'Electric Co' the winner and move on :wink:

Aygo said:
"votation" = poll

Actually, it is. "Votation"? The poll format? The length of the poll? The criteria for inclusion/exclusion? Something else?

And as I asked before, what exactly is wrong with the "votation"? Want to answer that question this time?

Axver said:

Actually, it is. "Votation"? The poll format? The length of the poll? The criteria for inclusion/exclusion? Something else?

And as I asked before, what exactly is wrong with the "votation"? Want to answer that question this time?

[vote]+[-tation]

Two simple morphems that exist in every european language. It's not hard to guess its (supposed) meaning (not supposed because it exists in latin-based languages).

DreamOutLoud13 said:

love the passion you have for this song- ! i would love to see you make this video. the fact that some don't consider it one of the band's best shouldn't dampen your love for it, and obviously it hasn't.

i personally love the MJB version of One and have to hear that get insulted all the time around here. we all have our favorites that don't get supported across the board. c'est la vie. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom