Rest of U2 Survivor: ATYCLB - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Kite

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • In a Little While

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Wild Honey

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Peace On Earth

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • When I Look At the World

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • New York

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Grace

Votes: 31 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono wants you to know that when he grew up, there were many trees. Now, not so much, because they all ripped them out of the ground and threw them at their enemies or something.

That's worse than a soothing little piece about grace, be it a girl or a concept.

Seriously, what's the beef with Grace???

The First Time, Grace and One Step Closer, Miss Sarajevo all belong in the same conversation, similar in sound, theme (finding hope in the midst of despair)

All are great introspective songs. Does every song need to erupt with the greatest Edge solo ever, like TGBHF to be that good? All I know is Grace is DEFINITELY not the worst song off ATYCLB

corianderstem said:
Bono wants you to know that when he grew up, there were many trees. Now, not so much, because they all ripped them out of the ground and threw them at their enemies or something.

That's worse than a soothing little piece about grace, be it a girl or a concept.

Wrong. You're WRONG

corianderstem said:
I always think I like this album, but when I look at the list of songs, there's just so much on it that's just plain old mediocre.

Originally posted by NoSpokenWords
I always think I like this album, but when I look at the list of songs, there's just so much on it that's just plain old mediocre.

Is there a reconciliation on the horizon? :wink:

mofo82 said:

The correct question would be WHERE'S the beef, because honestly, there's nothing there. It's dull.

(... I've come to like it more than I used to, but it's still dull.)

Lila64 said:
Is there a reconciliation on the horizon? :wink:

His people are calling my people, and they're having lunch. We'll see what happens after negotiations.

mofo82 said:

The First Time, Grace and One Step Closer, Miss Sarajevo all belong in the same conversation, similar in sound, theme (finding hope in the midst of despair)

All are great introspective songs. Does every song need to erupt with the greatest Edge solo ever, like TGBHF to be that good? All I know is Grace is DEFINITELY not the worst song off ATYCLB

:up:

How can Grace be the worst when boring, uninspired, melody-less atrocities like New York are hanging around?

luna_lovegood said:

:up:

How can Grace be the worst when boring, uninspired, melody-less atrocities like New York are hanging around?

Like Miami, New York is really badass, and that comes through better in a live setting.

Of course, if we were voting for live versions, the result of the Pop rounds would have been more logical.

LemonMelon said:

It's boring as hell and I hate it.

You're right, Grace is pretty boring. It could really use something like a fart joke right after the first verse, might've driven right up the charts, or at least not be so :yawn:

Grace
She takes the blame
She covers the shame
Removes the stain

It's right there askin' for it...
Grace is about a girl who shits her pants, is that so boring?

mofo82 said:

I like the other 3 songs you named there. I like them a lot. For some reason though Grace just never made a connection with me.

mofo82 said:

You're right, Grace is pretty boring. It could really use something like a fart joke right after the first verse, might've driven right up the charts, or at least not be so :yawn:

Grace
She takes the blame
She covers the shame
Removes the stain

It's right there askin' for it...
Grace is about a girl who shits her pants, is that so boring?

Wow, an easy rhyme using words Bono ran into the ground in the 80's! Fucking unreal.

mofo82 said:
You're right, Grace is pretty boring. It could really use something like a fart joke right after the first verse, might've driven right up the charts, or at least not be so

You're not winning converts to the pro-Grace team by using such assinine comments, you know.

Fart jokes? Come on. You love it, I find it dull, that doesn't mean I want all my songs to contain scatalogical references.

Besides, what's clear is that Grace needs a car crash or a building blowing up to be less dull. THAT'S the stuff.

bonocomet said:

I like the other 3 songs you named there. I like them a lot. For some reason though Grace just never made a connection with me.

I'm glad to hear that, because I discovered them with Grace first, cus ATYCLB was the first U2 album I bought. I had no idea U2 went that direction in their music cus I only knew the radio singles. It might be comparing apples and oranges but Radiohead can do the same tightrope dance by being a full on rockband or play the most minimalist song and capture you, heavy or not

coolian2 said:
New York is interesting

I also hear New York is really hot. Like, so hot you can't walk around the block without an extra shirt or something.

Well into the hundreds, even.

corianderstem said:

You're not winning converts to the pro-Grace team by using such assinine comments, you know.

Fart jokes? Come on. You love it, I find it dull, that doesn't mean I want all my songs to contain scatalogical references.

Besides, what's clear is that Grace needs a car crash or a building blowing up to be less dull. THAT'S the stuff.

Psst, don't expect logic in the reply.

LemonMelon said:

Wow, an easy rhyme using words Bono ran into the ground in the 80's! Fucking unreal.

Its not an incredible song, just an innocent bystander, with a simple message, and a soothing melody. Nothing groundbreaking. I don't understand the hate! Would never guess that it would be last so soon! I mean this album has some absolute shockers.

corianderstem said:

Haha. I agree.

corianderstem said:

I can't make a joke around here? I actually got a laugh when I played the song a second ago. Seems like everyone else here gets to make one, and I did it at the expense of myself :huh:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were going for funny. I thought I detected some bitter sarcasm over how horrible we were for hating Grace.

:wink:

Grace....
she takes the blame ....

PHHHHHHHHHHBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

luna_lovegood said:

Its not an incredible song, just an innocent bystander, with a simple message, and a soothing melody. Nothing groundbreaking. I don't understand the hate! Would never guess that it would be last so soon! I mean this album has some absolute shockers.

It's just a bunch of noodling. :( I don't even know what the melody is. Even if The First Time, Miss Sarajevo, etc are slow, they at least have something that sticks in your head. Grace is just...nothing.

Grace...it's the name for a girl

Yeah, we get it. You're a genius, Bono. I've met girls with the name Grace, but I never put two and two together.

coolian2 said:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepic phail

New York is interesting

:yuck: Its Boring! Though, Admittedly, I've never heard it live. Maybe my opinion would change ... If Pop taught us anything, its that shit recordings are not necessarily shit songs. BUT NY would have some serious improving to do ...

LemonMelon said:

It's just a bunch of noodling. :( I don't even know what the melody is. Even if The First Time, Miss Sarajevo, etc are slow, they at least have something that sticks in your head. Grace is just...nothing.

Grace...it's the name for a girl

Yeah, we get it. You're a genius, Bono. I've met girls with the name Grace, but I never put two and two together.

I've been with this amazing girlfriend of mine for 3 years now and she's everything that this song is about, well, except she doesn't crap her pants
:wink: When the album first came out, I was missing that, and once you meet someone with all those qualities, you get to know what Bono saw that made him write that song. THEN, it doesn't seem like trash, if you ask me.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
New York is definitely better live, but it's still ... well, it's still New York.

I can agree with you there.

And I recall hearing Grace play as we left the arena during the Elevation Tour. It's a fact, JACK!

I really don't have a gripe with the rhyming thing. Shit, the Beatles made a load of great songs, albeit, dated when hearing them now, but they still stand on two feet. Anyways, rhyming is almost natural for songwriting. Name one act out there who's never rhymed? It's when everyone's freakin' kneeling on their soul love that it gets to be enough from Bono.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom