Rest of U2 Survivor: Achtung Baby - Round 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Your Least Favorite Song: Vote for it

• The Fly

Votes: 42 44.7%
  • Acrobat

Votes: 52 55.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
4 votes apart?

SUPER TUESDAY (and Wednesday) INDEED!!! :hi5:

:angry:
matamoscasiz4.jpg

Hmm that looks about right. The only thing that really sticks out is I'd love to tweak the covers category to allow in "I Shall Be Released" but it's not something I'd go nuts over. As for arrangements:

Axver said:

11 O'clock Tick Tock (1980-85 double solo, 1987-2001 single solo)
I Will Follow (Boy/October/War/UF, JT/Lovetown, ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation/Vertigo)
The Electric Co. (with The Cry, without The Cry)
All Along The Watchtower (1981 one-off, 1987 one-off, Lovetown) – not contested as 1981 and 1987 versions were played less than 13 times; maybe still include 1987 due to RAH?
Sunday Bloody Sunday (War/UF, COH/JT, ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo)
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (electric, acoustic)
With Or Without You (JT/Lovetown, 1992 ZooTV, 1993 ZooTV, Popmart/Elevation/Vertigo)
Bullet The Blue Sky (JT/Lovetown, ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo)
Running To Stand Still (JT/Lovetown/Vertigo, ZooTV)
In God's Country (JT/Lovetown, Elevation)
Mothers Of The Disappeared (JT, Popmart, Vertigo)
Desire (Lovetown, ZooTV, Popmart/Elevation, Vertigo)
Angel Of Harlem (Lovetown, ZooTV, Elevation, Vertigo)
When Love Comes To Town (Lovetown, ZooTV)
All I Want Is You (Lovetown/Elevation/Vertigo, ZooTV/Popmart)
Zoo Station (ZooTV, Vertigo)
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Electric, acoustic)
The Fly (ZooTV, Elevation, Vertigo)
Stay (ZooTV, Elevation)
Discotheque (Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo)
Staring At The Sun (electric, acoustic)
Please (Popmart, Elevation)
Stuck In A Moment (Elevation/Vertigo electric, Vertigo semi-acoustic)
Elevation (Elevation, Vertigo)
Walk On (electric, acoustic – perhaps electric with POE too?)
Kite (Elevation, Vertigo)
Original Of The Species (full, stripped down – Milan orchestral too?)

Looks about right. My thoughts:

All Along The Watchtower - I'd probably just use the Lovetown version, does anybody actually like the R&H one?

Sunday Bloody Sunday (War/UF, COH/JT, ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo) - as long as what we use for Coh/JT is the one with just Edge starting it, like in the Denver '87 gigs for example

All I Want Is You (Lovetown/Elevation/Vertigo, ZooTV/Popmart) - I'd probably have a separate qualifier for Lovetown

Please (Popmart, Elevation) - Does the single Elevation full band performance deserve a spot?

Walk On (electric, acoustic – perhaps electric with POE too?) - Maybe just have the electric one we use include POE

Original Of The Species (full, stripped down – Milan orchestral too?) - I'd say yes, but if so do we need to include the orchestral One also?

What about Miss Sarajevo? Does the one-off Popmart performance get included?

darkhorsemusic said:

Why? Because The Fly is winning by a landslide? :rolleyes:

True.... It's not winning by a landslide. But this round, I believe, has had more votes than any other round so far, so I don't think there are still 5 voters who like Acrobat better than The Fly. And that would only tie it.

I've given up hope.

SIX MORE VOTES C'MON PEOPLE WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!

Die fly!!!!

*takes out fly swatter*

Well, since I had ended the previous poll so early, this poll won't end for another 3 hours or so. There's still time for folks to come out of the woodwork! :wink:

CTU2fan said:
Hmm that looks about right. The only thing that really sticks out is I'd love to tweak the covers category to allow in "I Shall Be Released" but it's not something I'd go nuts over.

We list 12 performances of I Shall Be Released on U2VT, but the problem is that only five of them are actually at U2 gigs - one of them is Bono solo at some charity gig, and the rest are the COH All-star Finale. I also feel the covers category is quite large enough. I'm seriously considering cutting Can't Help Falling In Love and Help on the grounds that they're not substantial enough.

All Along The Watchtower - I'd probably just use the Lovetown version, does anybody actually like the R&H one?

Sunday Bloody Sunday (War/UF, COH/JT, ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo) - as long as what we use for Coh/JT is the one with just Edge starting it, like in the Denver '87 gigs for example

All I Want Is You (Lovetown/Elevation/Vertigo, ZooTV/Popmart) - I'd probably have a separate qualifier for Lovetown

Please (Popmart, Elevation) - Does the single Elevation full band performance deserve a spot?

Walk On (electric, acoustic – perhaps electric with POE too?) - Maybe just have the electric one we use include POE

Original Of The Species (full, stripped down – Milan orchestral too?) - I'd say yes, but if so do we need to include the orchestral One also?

What about Miss Sarajevo? Does the one-off Popmart performance get included?

Watchtower: I agree. I'm sure someone will complain about not including the RAH version, but it's even more obvious that the Lovetown version will win the qualifier than it is that Streets will take out the tournament! So I'm willing to declare that qualifier redundant and the covers category will simply have "All Along The Watchtower (Lovetown version)".

SBS: Yes, the RAH video version of the song is what I'm thinking of when I say "COH/JT". I know the War/UF Tour style SBS was done at some JT shows but I don't know a better way to differentiate the songs that isn't long and convoluted.

AIWIY: How come you would separate Lovetown from Elevation/Vertigo? Technically, the performances are essentially the same, aren't they?

Please: How substantially different is the single Elevation full band performance, technically speaking, to the Popmart version? I think this is a case of a pointless inclusion that will lose anyway, since in terms of actual quality, the band just didn't have it quite together.

Walk On: We've had problems with POE, whether it should contest as a song in its own right or not. Since I believe it was dependent on Walk On, I suggested that it be added to the Walk On qualifier so that we have three options: "electric version", "electric version with Peace On Earth intro", "acoustic version".

OOTS: I don't think including the orchestral Milan version necessitates including the orchestral One, as that was technically performed by Passengers. Miss Sarajevo was legitimately played by U2 and I don't want to open the "is Passengers U2?" bag of worms. And speaking of Miss Sarajevo, I'm really not sure there's too much of a point differentiating out the Sarajevo performance.

Well, a bit, yes, but does the Lovetown AIWIY really sound that different to the Elevation/Vertigo versions? It's essentially the same structure, whether or not Bono's adding some noodling to the outro.

I suppose I'd probably like to separate them out too, as Bono's singing on Lovetown kills Elevation, but I want to avoid having any more qualifiers than we absolutely need.

Well I'm cool with merging them all as long as the example we use is from Lovetown, either Dublin 3 or one of the Rotterdam ones (I forget which) would be my choice.

Back
Top Bottom