Rest of U2 Survivor: Achtung Baby - Round 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Your Least Favorite Song: Vote for it

• The Fly

Votes: 42 44.7%
  • Acrobat

Votes: 52 55.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:grumpy:
matamoscas_14679.jpg

CTU2fan said:
OK gotcha. I was wondering about the different arrangements too, that sounds like a plan (though choosing arrangements will make for a loooong Survivor game). Lucky there's plenty of songs like New Year's Day that have pretty much been the standard arrangement across the tours.

Yeah, the multiple arrangements is really going to draw things out. Luckily, rounds will only be 24 hours long, and I think I'll make the qualifiers run at the same time.

I do want this current tournament and Live Survivor to get us well past the release of the new album. Then we can get stuck into a new Album Survivor, which will determine seedings for a new Song Survivor, and those will hopefully take place once the new album has had time to settle.

Happy to pick through my stuff and try to find some quality performances...maybe it would make sense to get some people to commit to doing an album or 2 apiece.

Cool. :up:

Yeah, we'll have to get a few bootleg collectors/live fanatics to participate in this and get some really good song packages made.

I'd also really like it if you could participate in seeding rankings - I'm going to get people who know U2's live history well to rank the categories and the combined results will determine seeding. It may seem a little elitist and exclusive, but I'll try to get a wide range of people and views. Anybody who is well acquianted with U2's live history will be welcome to submit a ranking. I think it's less flawed than trying to establish seeding through public polls before the tournament starts and some people have never heard a single track in, say, the Non-album 1986-90 category because we haven't had time to do the uploads yet - and even if we had, there's got to be over 200 songs in the tournament and who has time to digest all that in a short space of time?

Axver said:
I'd also really like it if you could participate in seeding rankings - I'm going to get people who know U2's live history well to rank the categories and the combined results will determine seeding. It may seem a little elitist and exclusive, but I'll try to get a wide range of people and views. Anybody who is well acquianted with U2's live history will be welcome to submit a ranking. I think it's less flawed than trying to establish seeding through public polls before the tournament starts and some people have never heard a single track in, say, the Non-album 1986-90 category because we haven't had time to do the uploads yet - and even if we had, there's got to be over 200 songs in the tournament and who has time to digest all that in a short space of time?

I'll help you out with that too. I'm pretty familiar with live U2.

Also, are you going premium again in order to run this?

phillyfan26 said:
I'll help you out with that too. I'm pretty familiar with live U2.

Also, are you going premium again in order to run this?

Cool, good to have you on board. :up:

I'm seriously thinking about going premium. We'll see. It's still a fair way off.

I really want to know how people can think The Fly is better than Acrobat. Acrobat is in my top 10. The Fly is in my top 100.

the tourist said:
I really want to know how people can think The Fly is better than Acrobat.

Because they're wrong. :tsk:

:wink:

Still, this could go either way yet.

the tourist said:
I really want to know how people can think The Fly is better than Acrobat. Acrobat is in my top 10. The Fly is in my top 100.

I voted for Acrobat, but, how do questions like this make sense?

ETA - I meant, voted the Fly off. I love Acrobat, merely like The Fly, but do not understand the question.

the tourist said:
Yes. Very wrong. And it could. But it won't.

Remember when Hawkmoon 269 somehow held on and God Part II departed? Stranger things have happened.

Axver said:

Remember when Hawkmoon 269 somehow held on and God Part II departed? Stranger things have happened.

I guess that's true. But that was okay because I like Hawkmoon 269 better than The Fly. :wink:

I'm surprised at how strong the polling has been for Achtung. I wonder just how much it's going to drop off for Zooropa.

so i just listened to Acrobat, and came to this conclusion. if you don't think that Acrobat is better than The Fly, you need to check yourself into the nearest mental institution and get yourself some serious help. Acrobat may just be my favourite U2 song.

Axver said:
I'm surprised at how strong the polling has been for Achtung. I wonder just how much it's going to drop off for Zooropa.

Why would you be surprised? Despite your misgivings about the album, it's generally regarded as the best U2 album along with The Joshua Tree, and certainly was one of the most commercially successful ones as well.

I'm not surprised at all.

And yes, there should be a fairly decent drop in votes with Zooropa.

phanan said:
Why would you be surprised? Despite your misgivings about the album, it's generally regarded as the best U2 album along with The Joshua Tree, and certainly was one of the most commercially successful ones as well.

I'm not surprised at all.

Oh, it's just eclipsed my expectations. Not even The Joshua Tree was attracting this many votes. I always knew it would poll well, but this seems very high. I'm pleased.

Eazy-V said:
so i just listened to Acrobat, and came to this conclusion. if you don't think that Acrobat is better than The Fly, you need to check yourself into the nearest mental institution and get yourself some serious help. Acrobat may just be my favourite U2 song.

OK posting from my new room. Britney says "hi" and wants to know how polling is going, and if I think "Babyface" has a chance at winning the whole thing. :wink:

Seriously, it's cool that you like Acrobat, I like it too...but we're talking about The Fly here. The Fly. If you wanted to pick one song to represent U2 in the 90's The Fly is probably that song, the same way that Bad might be that song in the 80's (or WTSHNN, or SBS, but I digress). It's really not fair that Acrobat has to compete with The Fly, but thank U2 for that - IMO Acrobat is the 2nd best song on tha album. But The Fly is the best, and it's honestly not all that close.

Axver said:

Oh, it's just eclipsed my expectations. Not even The Joshua Tree was attracting this many votes. I always knew it would poll well, but this seems very high. I'm pleased.

True, it is getting more than The Joshua Tree. Let's see if the momentum can continue.

Axver said:

Yeah, the multiple arrangements is really going to draw things out. Luckily, rounds will only be 24 hours long, and I think I'll make the qualifiers run at the same time.

Qualifiers at the same time is a very good plan. Luckily there honestly aren't that many, it just seems like a lot because the example was JT. The Boy & October tracks haven'te really evolved much, on War it's really only SBS...really JT and R&H are going to have lots of qualifiers, and the R&H ones are mainly the asscoustic versions which are crap anyway and I'd as soon skip :)
I think the best plan might be to put together packages of all the songs including the qualifiers, and post them in the qualifier rounds. I'd probably make it a .zip file rather than a whole crapload of separate mp3 links. Maybe we could put together a list of the arrangements we want to do and pick versions, see what we've got and get the packages made. Are we going to have separate round(s) for b-sides, non-album tracks (like A Celebration and 11 O'clock Tick Tock), and covers?

Yeah, we'll have to get a few bootleg collectors/live fanatics to participate in this and get some really good song packages made.

Not sure how the seeding would work but I'm game of course...if it's live U2 I'm all in :)

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:

OK posting from my new room. Britney says "hi" and wants to know how polling is going, and if I think "Babyface" has a chance at winning the whole thing. :wink:

Seriously, it's cool that you like Acrobat, I like it too...but we're talking about The Fly here. The Fly. If you wanted to pick one song to represent U2 in the 90's The Fly is probably that song, the same way that Bad might be that song in the 80's (or WTSHNN, or SBS, but I digress). It's really not fair that Acrobat has to compete with The Fly, but thank U2 for that - IMO Acrobat is the 2nd best song on tha album. But The Fly is the best, and it's honestly not all that close.
well, it's good to hear that you're getting the help and care that you need. :wink:

CTU2fan said:
I think the best plan might be to put together packages of all the songs including the qualifiers, and post them in the qualifier rounds. I'd probably make it a .zip file rather than a whole crapload of separate mp3 links. Maybe we could put together a list of the arrangements we want to do and pick versions, see what we've got and get the packages made. Are we going to have separate round(s) for b-sides, non-album tracks (like A Celebration and 11 O'clock Tick Tock), and covers?

Yeah, I was thinking it would make a lot more sense to use ZIP files - people are more likely to download if they only have to click one link. And the qualifier rounds would be a good time to get a whole album up, in advance. Maybe even have everything up in the final round of the previous album.

Certainly some albums offer up more songs with multiple versions than others. October gives us absolutely no qualifiers! We are doing categories for non-album tracks and covers. Here's my current master list, hopefully with no omissions.

Pre-Boy (only songs with known recordings included): Street Mission, The Fool, Lost On A Silent Planet, The Speed Of Life, Cartoon World, The King's New Clothes, Inside Out, Trevor, Pete The Chop, The Dream Is Over, Jack In A Box, The Silver Lining

Boy: I Will Follow, Twilight, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Out Of Control, Stories For Boys, The Ocean, A Day Without Me, Another Time Another Place, The Electric Co., Shadows And Tall Trees

October: Gloria, I Fall Down, I Threw A Brick, Rejoice, Fire, Tomorrow, October, With A Shout, Scarlet

War: Sunday Bloody Sunday, Seconds, New Year's Day, Like A Song, Two Hearts Beat As One, Surrender, 40

Non-album 1979-83: Boy/Girl, Another Day, 11 O'clock Tick Tock, Touch, Things To Make And Do, A Celebration, Party Girl, Father Is An Elephant, Carry Me Home

UF: A Sort Of Homecoming, Pride, Wire, The Unforgettable Fire, Bad, Indian Summer Sky, MLK

JT: ISHFWILF, WOWY, Bullet, RTSS, IGC, TTYW, One Tree Hill, Exit, MOTD (Streets excluded)

RAH: Van Diemen's Land, Desire, Hawkmoon 269, When Love Comes To Town, Love Rescue Me, God Part II, All I Want Is You

Non-album 1986-90: Womanfish, Lucille, Spanish Eyes, Silver And Gold, She's A Mystery To Me, Slow Dancing

Achtung: Zoo Station, EBTTRT, One, UTEOTW, WGRYWH, So Cruel, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, TTTYAATW, Ultra Violet, Love Is Blindness

Zooropa: Zooropa, Babyface, Numb, Lemon, Stay, Daddy's Gonna Pay, The First Time, Dirty Day, The Wanderer

Pop: Discotheque, DYFL, Mofo, IGWSHA, SATS, LNOE, Gone, Miami, IYWTVD, Please, WUDM

ATYCLB: Beautiful Day, Stuck, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, IALW, Wild Honey, New York

HTDAAB: Vertigo, Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, LAPOE, COBL, ABOY, Crumbs, OOTS, Yahweh

Non-album 1995-07: HMTMKMKM, Miss Sarajevo, Two Shots Of Happy, Holy Joe, North And South Of The River, TGBHF, Sweetest Thing, We Love You, THTBA, Fast Cars, Window In The Skies, Wave Of Sorrow

Covers: Satellite Of Love, People Get Ready, Can't Help Falling In Love, Stand By Me, Help, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, All Along The Watchtower, What's Going On, C'Mon Everybody, Redemption Song, Maggie's Farm, Southern Man, Springhill Mining Disaster, Helter Skelter, The Saints Are Coming
(Criteria for covers: had to be played 13+ times. Was going to be 15+ but I relaxed it to include the well-known and recent Saints.)

For the seeding, you just submit your ranking of these categories, giving 16 points to your top choice down to 1 point for your bottom choice. I will tally the points and that will determine the seeding. The top six categories send four songs to the finals, the next six send three, and the bottom four send two.

And here's the list of songs deemed to have different versions significantly different to require qualifiers. We may get strict and cut some of these. Let me know if you think there are glaring omissions too.

11 O'clock Tick Tock (1980-85 double solo, 1987-2001 single solo)
I Will Follow (Boy/October/War/UF, JT/Lovetown, ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation/Vertigo)
The Electric Co. (with The Cry, without The Cry)
All Along The Watchtower (1981 one-off, 1987 one-off, Lovetown) – not contested as 1981 and 1987 versions were played less than 13 times; maybe still include 1987 due to RAH?
Sunday Bloody Sunday (War/UF, COH/JT, ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo)
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (electric, acoustic)
With Or Without You (JT/Lovetown, 1992 ZooTV, 1993 ZooTV, Popmart/Elevation/Vertigo)
Bullet The Blue Sky (JT/Lovetown, ZooTV, Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo)
Running To Stand Still (JT/Lovetown/Vertigo, ZooTV)
In God's Country (JT/Lovetown, Elevation)
Mothers Of The Disappeared (JT, Popmart, Vertigo)
Desire (Lovetown, ZooTV, Popmart/Elevation, Vertigo)
Angel Of Harlem (Lovetown, ZooTV, Elevation, Vertigo)
When Love Comes To Town (Lovetown, ZooTV)
All I Want Is You (Lovetown/Elevation/Vertigo, ZooTV/Popmart)
Zoo Station (ZooTV, Vertigo)
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Electric, acoustic)
The Fly (ZooTV, Elevation, Vertigo)
Stay (ZooTV, Elevation)
Discotheque (Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo)
Staring At The Sun (electric, acoustic)
Please (Popmart, Elevation)
Stuck In A Moment (Elevation/Vertigo electric, Vertigo semi-acoustic)
Elevation (Elevation, Vertigo)
Walk On (electric, acoustic – perhaps electric with POE too?)
Kite (Elevation, Vertigo)
Original Of The Species (full, stripped down – Milan orchestral too?)

Back
Top Bottom