Rest of U2 Survivor: Achtung Baby - Round 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• The Fly

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Ultraviolet

Votes: 43 50.6%
  • Acrobat

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Love Is Blindness

Votes: 31 36.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I worry this is spiralling out of control. No matter what we do, if we stick with the differences we've identified now, that's 45 extra rounds. The tournament is a month and a half longer. Too much?

Axver said:
I worry this is spiralling out of control. No matter what we do, if we stick with the differences we've identified now, that's 45 extra rounds. The tournament is a month and a half longer. Too much?

It's a tough call. Is it a necessary evil? It might be. It's hard to say.

We've generally been averse to running multiple polls at once. Then again, a long tournament isn't necessarily that much of a bad thing. We do want it to keep going until there's been at least a few months for the new material to settle in. If the Album and Song Survivors start too early, odds are the new album will place higher than it otherwise would (well, unless it really is the next classic - but you can't judge that a week after it hits the shelves!).

I suppose for this tournament, 24 rather than 48 hour polls would be fine, and for the qualifying rounds for songs with multiple versions, if an album has multiple songs that require qualification, they can all be done at once.

Oh, and we haven't gone through cover versions to identify ones that noticeably evolved! :crazy:

Luckily the only one I can think of off the top of my head that noticeably differed is All Along The Watchtower: 1981 once-off, 1987 once-off for RAH, and Lovetown. And frankly running that would be pointless as Lovetown would win, so we could just go ahead and specify in the poll "All Along The Watchtower (Lovetown version)".

Ahh... I can't vote... but I wanted to see how it was going... so I had to vote for UV due to Axver's threats. And the high probability that he'd actually be able to carry them out.

Next round, I'm NOT VOTING.

Wow, only 68 votes compared to 80+. Where is everyone? :wink:

Getting back the Live Survivor, I thought I would post a list of songs that I intend to exclude from the tournament for discussion. I imagine such choices will be contentious, and in the end I and whoever else helps out running the show will have to unilaterally make some decisions, but if we could reach some consensus that would be good.

So the songs cut, in chronological order of performance:

1. Pre-Boy songs known to have been played live but for which we have no recording. The two I'm thinking of here are Concentration Cramp and In Your Hand (which may just be Boy/Girl anyway).
2. Early covers: while it is likely that covers such as Glad To See You Go were done 13+ times, we don't have any confirmation of that. Known performances are essential.
3. All Along The Watchtower qualifying: It is no secret that the 1981 and 1987 one-offs will lose to the Lovetown version in any qualifying round, so let's save two days. In any case, although just one performance is good enough for an original U2 song, a cover has to be a bit more frequent - 13+ performances is the cutoff, and only the Lovetown version has been done 13+ times.
4. Where The Streets Have No Name: it is beyond obviously the winner. Including it makes the tournament pointless. It's like having a soccer goal shoot-out with 100 three year olds and Pele.
5. One: obvious winner in Streets' absence.
6. Peace On Earth: This has been an ongoing problem on U2VT, as a matter of fact. U2 never did a full band version of this song. It was normally just a snippeted intro to Walk On. However, on some occasions, Bono really dragged it out. My criteria for song inclusion is that the song has to have been performed independently of any other. I do not believe Peace On Earth was ever played independently. Thus it is out.
6.1 There is the "Wake Up Dead Man" objection. It was similarly not played in full. However, it has been done in more contexts and I do not believe its use in a setlist in its stripped down style is inherently dependent on the presence of any other particular song.
7. Any cover with less than 13 performances: I was going to make this 15 performances, as that's a round number and any cover reaching that many performances must have gained significance in at least one tour's context. However, I noticed that the recent and well known Saints Are Coming has only 13 performances, so I lowered the limit to include it - there are no other covers on 13 or 14 performances.
8. Gimmicky covers with 13+ performances: We really don't need the competition littered with these. Sure, Edge's karaoke or Larry singing Tequila Sunrise may have been a bit of a laugh, but it's not going to win anything and we needn't drag out the tournament any more. Raising the required play count to avoid this issue will also exclude most genuine covers, including very well known ones like Helter Skelter.

I think that's all. For the record, I am somewhat reconsidering excluding One. Streets is absolutely gone though. It is the winner by default. So I guess all this tournament is doing is finding second place.

On a different note, we need to add a song to the list: The Silver Lining, to Pre-Boy. I know it's an early 11 O'clock Tick Tock, but they're different songs - and we're doing Trevor and Touch anyway.

Rob33 said:
hmm...i didn't see "Unchained Melody" as a live cover mentioned

It was a snippet after One, not an independent song.

major_panic said:
Ahh... I can't vote... but I wanted to see how it was going... so I had to vote for UV due to Axver's threats. And the high probability that he'd actually be able to carry them out.

Next round, I'm NOT VOTING.

:lmao:

If I bake you a muffin, will you vote for what I tell you to in the next round? :wink:

wait Axver why don't we just take it each tour at a time? with that tour's respective album and everything following it, take the best live song from that tour (songs from previous albums included) ...then eventually you would have the best songs of each tour, and they would face off...I'm thinking of this sort of spontaneously without much thought- am I making sense?

Because that would be even more complex and difficult. I really think the only way to do this is to go album by album. Sure, some songs have had markedly different versions from tour to tour, but they're in the minority. If we took it tour by tour, we'd be voting on, for example, essentially the exact same version of October five times. Out Of Control would be even worse - it's never really changed much live, so you'd have it in Pre-Boy, Boy, October, War, UF, JT, Lovetown, Elevation, and Vertigo!

I think grouping things by album with qualifying rounds for songs with distinctly different performances is the only manageable categorisation that avoids either 1. convoluted criteria or 2. repetition.

Do I really have to give out baked goods from now on in order to save a song I like? It's simply not in my budget at the moment. :mad: Vote for a song I like and suffer the undisclosed consequences. That's it. :grumpy:

Tough tough tough tough, last round it was close between Ultraviolet and Acrobat for me and I opted to vote for acrobat, this time my heart has told me to vote for ultraviolet and save acrobat.

An Cat Gav said:
Tough tough tough tough, last round it was close between Ultraviolet and Acrobat for me and I opted to vote for acrobat, this time my heart has told me to vote for ultraviolet and save acrobat.

Good choice. I'll bake you a muffin too if you don't vote Acrobat next round. You'll have to come to Melbourne to collect it, though.

And yes, LemonMelon, I've brought out my arsenal of baked goods. I've got chocolate biscuits and apple crumble too! Beware!

I'm gonna spend the last few rounds of this tosh wondering which track on Zooropa I should vote off first.

Cause I actually like SDABTO. I mean, the lyrics are awful, but the rest of the song is cool. :(

Axver said:
Wow, only 68 votes compared to 80+. Where is everyone? :wink:

Getting back the Live Survivor, I thought I would post a list of songs that I intend to exclude from the tournament for discussion. I imagine such choices will be contentious, and in the end I and whoever else helps out running the show will have to unilaterally make some decisions, but if we could reach some consensus that would be good.

So the songs cut, in chronological order of performance:

1. Pre-Boy songs known to have been played live but for which we have no recording. The two I'm thinking of here are Concentration Cramp and In Your Hand (which may just be Boy/Girl anyway).
2. Early covers: while it is likely that covers such as Glad To See You Go were done 13+ times, we don't have any confirmation of that. Known performances are essential.
3. All Along The Watchtower qualifying: It is no secret that the 1981 and 1987 one-offs will lose to the Lovetown version in any qualifying round, so let's save two days. In any case, although just one performance is good enough for an original U2 song, a cover has to be a bit more frequent - 13+ performances is the cutoff, and only the Lovetown version has been done 13+ times.
4. Where The Streets Have No Name: it is beyond obviously the winner. Including it makes the tournament pointless. It's like having a soccer goal shoot-out with 100 three year olds and Pele.
5. One: obvious winner in Streets' absence.
6. Peace On Earth: This has been an ongoing problem on U2VT, as a matter of fact. U2 never did a full band version of this song. It was normally just a snippeted intro to Walk On. However, on some occasions, Bono really dragged it out. My criteria for song inclusion is that the song has to have been performed independently of any other. I do not believe Peace On Earth was ever played independently. Thus it is out.
6.1 There is the "Wake Up Dead Man" objection. It was similarly not played in full. However, it has been done in more contexts and I do not believe its use in a setlist in its stripped down style is inherently dependent on the presence of any other particular song.
7. Any cover with less than 13 performances: I was going to make this 15 performances, as that's a round number and any cover reaching that many performances must have gained significance in at least one tour's context. However, I noticed that the recent and well known Saints Are Coming has only 13 performances, so I lowered the limit to include it - there are no other covers on 13 or 14 performances.
8. Gimmicky covers with 13+ performances: We really don't need the competition littered with these. Sure, Edge's karaoke or Larry singing Tequila Sunrise may have been a bit of a laugh, but it's not going to win anything and we needn't drag out the tournament any more. Raising the required play count to avoid this issue will also exclude most genuine covers, including very well known ones like Helter Skelter.

I think that's all. For the record, I am somewhat reconsidering excluding One. Streets is absolutely gone though. It is the winner by default. So I guess all this tournament is doing is finding second place.

On a different note, we need to add a song to the list: The Silver Lining, to Pre-Boy. I know it's an early 11 O'clock Tick Tock, but they're different songs - and we're doing Trevor and Touch anyway.

Sounds complicated.

The Sad Punk said:
I'm gonna spend the last few rounds of this tosh wondering which track on Zooropa I should vote off first.

Cause I actually like SDABTO. I mean, the lyrics are awful, but the rest of the song is cool. :(

SDABTO doesn't deserve its poor reputation. OK, so I'll probably rate most of Zooropa above it, but I enjoy it. I think I'd rate it above Babyface, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and although it's not in the tournament, The First Time.

the tourist said:
Sounds complicated.

Don't worry - the prep for a new tournament always looks complicated, especially because I'm very thorough, but in the end it usually works very simply.

I would like to know if anybody disagrees with any of those exclusions. Especially One. I'm in two minds about that.

wouldn't a better way to work out the exclusions be a pre-poll? maybe brainstorm the 10 most popular live songs and the top 2 aren't in the actual survey? i know Streets would still win but i have doubts One will.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I doubt One is the clear winner in Streets' absence. I was just thinking of when we did Song Survivor - everything but the final result was an interesting contest. Now that I've considered it further, I remember there are many people, including big fans of One, who feel it was never as good live as in the studio, and Bad is actually probably likely to beat it.

So, scratch One from the eliminations list. It will be there. Streets, however, is undeniably out. It is the winner by default. We're really finding the #2. (I personally think U2 have a considerable number of better live songs, but that seems to fly in the face of 21 years of concertgoer adulation of Streets.)

I agree with you Axver, Streets needs to be out, but I am not sure One would actually make it to the last rounds.

I believe you devised a strong plan and we should go ahead with it:drool:

Axver said:

It was a snippet after One, not an independent song.

:lmao:

If I bake you a muffin, will you vote for what I tell you to in the next round? :wink:

:hmm: Will it have too much butter? I happen to like muffins with a lot of butter...

:wink:

And, (probably) unlike An Cat Gav, I can actually collect it!

I just baked chocolate muffins tonight. I think they're the best I've ever made. Not sure that's saying much, as I've only been baking muffins for a few months. I didn't skimp on the butter and I definitely didn't skimp on the chocolate. :drool:

Damn, now I'm hungry.

Going back on topic, the voting for Zooropa should be interesting. Is the Wanderer in contention?

major_panic said:
Going back on topic, the voting for Zooropa should be interesting. Is the Wanderer in contention?

You better believe it. The draw for Zooropa is:

Zooropa
Babyface
Lemon
Daddy's Gonna Pay
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Dirty Day
The Wanderer

Personally, I want the title track to win.

Well, I'll bet that Zooropa, SDABTO and Wanderer make it to the last three. From there... it's anyone's game, really.

If I'm right, do I get a muffin?

major_panic said:
Well, I'll bet that Zooropa, SDABTO and Wanderer make it to the last three. From there... it's anyone's game, really.

If I'm right, do I get a muffin?

Sure, because I know that prediction will be wrong and I'll get to keep the muffin. :wink:

This forum seems to have a strong dislike of SDABTO; Babyface will go first, but I don't see SDABTO making it past the second round. I predict the final three will be Zooropa, Lemon, and Dirty Day. Dirty Day will then go; it has its fans, but the studio version is a mess compared to the live version. Zooropa vs Lemon could be brutal though. I wish we'd introduced seeding.

pepokiss said:

I don't think so...

not when you have Vertigo

:lmao: This forum has an irrational hatred of anything HTDAAB-related.

Zooropa vs. Lemon will be the greatest final ever. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom