Renewing your U2 subscription....Beware!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there a place where your coupon code is listed? I lost it last year and can't find where it might be on the site.

zitherglow said:

I make a clear distinction between the band and the website.

Tell that to the gazillions of "U2 is screwing the fans on purpose" threads and posts we had in 2005.

If U2.com (or rather, Ticketmaster) does mistakes, then U2.com/Ticketmaster is held accountable.

Popmartijn said:

That is, IF you can get that extra ticket at face value through the general sale. You've been around long enough to know how big the demand is for U2 tickets.

Not only that, but the tickets I've received through membership (website and Propaganda) have always been fantastic seats! What are my chances of getting those in the general sale?

Popmartijn said:

Actually, the FAQ's still correct. You buy a membership subscription through the U2.com store. Hence, you're able/allowed to the the subscription coupon.

Really? I tried it today and wasn't allowed to use my coupon.

Crap. My subscription was supposed to expire 12/2. However, when I log in (haven't logged in in a while :uhoh: ) it shows that I am expired. SCREW THAT. I had a super low member number, and I am keeping it. I suppose I better get on the phone tomorrow.

Last year I got an email that reminded me to renew and gave me a 20% discount for the renewal. WTF happened this year? :scratch:

It used to be on the profile thingy... or maybe when you posted in Zootopia, which I didn't do too often. I think I may be in the 1900s and number started at 1000 or so (could be totally lying). While the member number didn't make a difference last tour, I think it was kicked around as an idea after the pre-sale mess, and it could potentially come in to play for future tours. I am not taking the chance. :mad:

u2trinity said:
Miro , how do you know what your member number is ?:scratch:

Like Miro said, :yes: If you go into the forum and click on your username it will show you your member number. It doesn't show on your profile outside the forum for some reason.

Also it looks like they fixed my expiration date! I got my month back, so that's good. :up:

:reject: :reject: :reject:

So do you all remember when the site first opened, and people signed up, and some of us ended up with two active memberships, but we didn't care at the time cause it meant 2 presales?

Well, I only renewed the one with the lowest membership number, and let the other one expire. Well, I was checking on the expired one.

:reject:

Logged in to the correct one (903 btw, so I lied about number starting at 1000. I don't think they started at 1 though... ) and renewed. I am good til 12/1/2008

:D

:reject:

Miroslava said:

Can anyone tell me what this says, since I can no longer access that part?

:(

ETA: Nevermind. Found it on the free site. :)

ETA2: It tells me to go to the paying site. Great. :happy:

Were you able to access this yet? If not here it is:

"ZOOtops

Currently we are experiencing some problems during the renewal process. At this time there are several threads in the TECH SUPPORT FOLDER dealing with these issues.

Please go to the TECH SUPPORT folder, and look through the issue and post there.

We are aware of some people's date of renewal changing if they renewed early, we are working on that as I type.

We are also aware of people not being able to order the t-shirt during their renewal process.

We are aware of the inability of some to get their order processed due to denial of credit cards or the blank pages that are popping up.

As more glitches occur, I will be creating threads so we can get everyone's problems dealt with.

Please be patient, as we are experiencing some high traffic right now. I also ask you to be patient with me, as I am receiving a very high volume of PM's and I am trying to answer them as fast as possible.

Right now the best thing you can do if you have had problems renewing is to post in the appropriate thread and I will get to you. Please check for updates on those threads.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation

Baja"

So you need to go into that forum and find the thread concerning the problem you have and post there and then they'll help you. I guess it worked for me since my problem was fixed. However if you can't sign on there because it says you are expired I guess that doesn't help. :uhoh:

Oh edit/// ok I see you already found that out yourself. oops!

Good luck!!

Aw. thanks! It was my own stupidity. My brain is mush these days. Too much going on.

It's explained in the post above yours. We were writing at the same time. :D

Miroslava said:
It used to be on the profile thingy... or maybe when you posted in Zootopia, which I didn't do too often. I think I may be in the 1900s and number started at 1000 or so (could be totally lying). While the member number didn't make a difference last tour, I think it was kicked around as an idea after the pre-sale mess, and it could potentially come in to play for future tours. I am not taking the chance. :mad:

Probably a good idea not to take the chance Miro. But I actually let my membership go for this very reason...too many sheisty dealings, feeling like they were trying to take advantage with things like what you folks are talking about, and my having legit complaints that were never resolved. I had hung onto it cuz there had been talk that if you were a Propaganda member it might mean something, as well as if you had a low number. I might be shooting myself in the foot for the next tour, but I felt like it won't ever matter again who was a Prop member and who had a lower number. Maybe it makes me a bad fan, but by the end of the Vertigo tour I was over paying so much for so little. I decided the numbers won't matter and I'll re-sign up if I have to.

:shrug:

I'm a little disappointed by next year's gift, but I'll probably still renew. I'm in a position where I can afford more it this year, since I have a better job than I did last year at this time. And while I would've rather had a different CD set, that show was one of the best Elevation shows, and I was actually quite surprised last year to hear the difference between the ZooTV DVD rip and the CDs.

I still haven't used my coupon from last year, but I think I'm going to put it toward one of the new JT lithographs :drool:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I'm a little disappointed by next year's gift, but I'll probably still renew. I'm in a position where I can afford more it this year, since I have a better job than I did last year at this time. And while I would've rather had a different CD set, that show was one of the best Elevation shows, and I was actually quite surprised last year to hear the difference between the ZooTV DVD rip and the CDs.

I still haven't used my coupon from last year, but I think I'm going to put it toward one of the new JT lithographs :drool:

OMG!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I wouldn't of noticed unless you mentioned it. The new lithographs look great. It was really hard to pick just one, but I went ahead and snapped one up.

Zabriskie Point! :drool:

(I went for the last one with the band centered)

None of these will last very long. Seriously.

I'm either going to get that one or the album cover. I'll probably order it when I get home tonight, because I agree they'll be gone in a hurry. I'm glad I waited--I almost ordered the Pop one a few weeks ago.

Yes! THANKS for the heads up! Those weren't there yet when I just renewed a few days ago so I might have missed them. I just ordered my Christmas present, and with the coupon I got $25 off. I went with the JT back cover lithograph, but it was a tough choice. :drool: Thanks again!

bonocomet said:
Yes! THANKS for the heads up! Those weren't there yet when I just renewed a few days ago so I might have missed them. I just ordered my Christmas present, and with the coupon I got $25 off. I went with the JT back cover lithograph, but it was a tough choice. :drool: Thanks again!

Oh sweet! That is a great one. I must of sat there for 10 minutes freaking out over which one to buy. What a hard decision. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I'm just thankful I had the choice to pick from all of them. I was seriously tempted to buy another one.

Roland of Gilead said:

Oh sweet! That is a great one. I must of sat there for 10 minutes freaking out over which one to buy. What a hard decision. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I'm just thankful I had the choice to pick from all of them. I was seriously tempted to buy another one.

:lol: same here! It was a painful decision and I also ran with the idea of getting more than one... til I remembered how small my house is and I don't even know where I'll put the one. The shirts are cool too :up:

With all the talk of whether or not presale access will be offered, I'd be amazed if U2 don't offer something like this again. As someone else has already pointed out, most acts (large and small) offer this sort of incentive to their fanclub members. However, would previous membership of Propaganda count for anything, or will the playing field be levelled so as to make a U2.com subscription attractive to everyone else? In other words, would the 1980s fan have the same opportunity as the casual opportunist who signs up in July 2008?

Morgoth321 said:
With all the talk of whether or not presale access will be offered, I'd be amazed if U2 don't offer something like this again. As someone else has already pointed out, most acts (large and small) offer this sort of incentive to their fanclub members. However, would previous membership of Propaganda count for anything, or will the playing field be levelled so as to make a U2.com subscription attractive to everyone else? In other words, would the 1980s fan have the same opportunity as the casual opportunist who signs up in July 2008?

Well, I think we already know what would happen in this scenario. It played out this way in 2005. Too many tickets found their way on ebay and broker sites. The longtime fan not only had to contend with the new fan (which I do consider fair), but too many scalpers enter the picture this way. The band would be irreparably damned to repeat this mistake twice. They'll chose a path of priority. The question is how.

Roland of Gilead said:

Well, I think we already know what would happen in this scenario. It played out this way in 2005. Too many tickets found their way on ebay and broker sites. The longtime fan not only had to contend with the new fan (which I do consider fair), but too many scalpers enter the picture this way. The band would be irreparably damned to repeat this mistake twice. They'll chose a path of priority. The question is how.

Your last sentence is one I'm glad I don't have to resolve! However, another question would be this: how many fans (longtime or otherwise) indulged in minor scalping themselves in 2005? I can't remember how many tickets subscribers were able to buy, but I'm pretty sure it was more than, say, two. Therefore, there's bound to be a huge temptation to buy a few more and hawk them on eBay (and anyone who did was perfectly entitled to do so, of course). They may also have sold them on to professional ticket brokers too.

If such incidents were isolated, then I guess there'd be no harm in this. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened on a larger scale than perhaps we'd like to admit. There's something reassuring in blaming 'the scalpers' for everything that happened a few years ago, but my impressions are that the more professional and efficient of the breed always seem to acquire a suspiciously large amount of tickets - probably from contacts at venues or Ticketmaster etc. Of course they probably gain them from something like a U2.com presale too, but I suppose my basic point is this - in general terms, U2.com have no way of differentiating between fans and predators, as they all pay the same money. Even if you've been a card-carrying fan since the birth of Propaganda, there's nothing stopping you from selling on extra tickets acquired in a presale, is there?

Back
Top Bottom