Remove Bullet the Blue Sky from the tour after the tragedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karl

The Fly
I think U2 should remove BTBS from the tour because of the terrorist attack on America. It is certainly questionable for U2, an Irish band, to come to America during a period of crisis not seen for a very long time here and play a song that attacks America for its overbearing military. While the message of the lyric may be lost on many the vivid war images on the screens behind the band will certainly be painful for some, especially if at that very moment lives are at stake. In what may be a war, is it not too much to ask U2 to substitute another song that offers relief, rather than remind many of stark reality?

As a New Yorker and someone that has friends that have lost a brother and a wife, I don't know how I would feel to be at Madison Square Garden seeing the war footage and imagery. Whether you agree or disagree with the message of BTBS, I think the band should think about the sensitivies of its audience during this unprecedented time.

karl

"And I can see those fighter planes
Across the mud huts as the children sleep
Through the alleys of a quiet city street

Through the walls we hear the city groan
Outside its America"

I don't think they should get rid of it.

Keep it real.

U2 will get criticized if they keep it or if they get rid of it.. that's just the way it is.

Leave me alone
smile.gif

it will definitely be painful for those in the crowd but I think the band should keep the tune in the set list. it should add a certain level of humility to the atmosphere. i don't know if it's ever happened to the band before, i'm almost certain it hasn't, but i'm guessing if they do choose to play it it will make headlines and the promoters will not like that. do you think promoters might encourage them not to play it to begin with?

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

So you dont mind if they play New York?

------------------
I hear unborn chicken voices in my head.

I predict that BTBS will leave the set list. It just makes sense not to play a song that attacks American policy right now. New York will likely stay, and might have some sort of video footage of New Yorkers coming to each others' aid.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Joking aside, I think they must play Bullet. And New York. And Sunday Bloody Sunday. But the video montages must change, and I expect they will.

If we follow the lines of the supposed "banned" list then nearly all the songs on the setlist would get dropped!

And U2 definitely cannot be accused of taking advantage of the situation because the songs were written beforehand and they are basically playing the same set as before.

Interestingly, those who were not truly accustomed with the effects of terrorism may find new meanings in said songs, and ones such as Please and Love is Blindess.

I'm not sure about BTBS, but as for the other songs, I say keep them. They played those songs in Sarejevo and the like, so why would they not play them here? I also think Please will definitely be back....unfortunately.
frown.gif

(*Disclaimer-I love the song, people should know why I say "unfortunately".)

------------------
"Enough of this video bullshit, I'm going to give you some culture. Know what I mean?" -Larry

~April

*~The Official POP_Whore of Interference~*

I love BTBS. I think that it holds it's own, musically, let alone lyrically. I think it will stay. U2, just as everyone else, both US citizen and around the world, has a right, and a place in this free democracy to express displeasure with US policy. This tragedy should not stop anybody from taking advantage of this freedom.

BTBS has nothing to do with the US policy towards the Taliban or anyone else in the middle east. It has nothing to do with the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. I think the song should stay.

------------------
To use the old hippy saying, it ain't where you're from, it's where you're at. And right now. If you're listening to this CD, you're already watching the sunset in your mind, feeling the heat on your skin and whilling away the hours. Simply chilled. Best way to keep it, really. -Matthew Kershaw - Ibiza Sunset.

please will be back... unfortunately...

ARE YOU SOME SORT OF FREAKING LOONIE?? ARE YOU JUST CRAZY AND NUTS AND COMPLETELY OFF YOUR ROCKER?? ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME THAT YOU DON'T LIKE PLEASE LIVE?? OR AM I JUST MISREADING YOU??

Originally posted by SkeeK:
please will be back... unfortunately...

ARE YOU SOME SORT OF FREAKING LOONIE?? ARE YOU JUST CRAZY AND NUTS AND COMPLETELY OFF YOUR ROCKER?? ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME THAT YOU DON'T LIKE PLEASE LIVE?? OR AM I JUST MISREADING YOU??

I think she means that it's sad Please has to come back because of this...

If Bullet stays they should bring back Running to Stand Still at the end, Zoo tv style - complete with the halleluja's at the end. Those songs really complement each other, especially in light of the current circumstances.

Anyone agree?

Oh good. I hope you're right UnfLemon. That way I'm the only off my rocker loonie
wink.gif

And popkid, lemon knows that, the she in question is the popangel

They should definately keep Bullet the blue sky, along with sunday bloody sunday. They are powerful songsd who's meanings are made clearer to us now more than ever, and they don't preach anything evil. If you can't stand reality than go see NYSYNC instead. I think they should add Mothers of the Dissapeared for this leg also. At least in NY.

Originally posted by popkidu2:
dude...skeek is a guy........

lol-Unforgettable Lemon knows that. He was telling him that I meant it was unfortunate it has to make a return cause of what's happened here in the US.

I love Please live-it's fecking amazing, I just knew that would get misunderstood somehow. lol
smile.gif

Thanks, Jason.

------------------
"Enough of this video bullshit, I'm going to give you some culture. Know what I mean?" -Larry

~April

*~The Official POP_Whore of Interference~*

olive, I would be completely totally happy if RTSS came back! that's one of my favourite songs!

Folks....U2 is both a band whom has compassion AND who has lived through the terror that we, here in America, are feeling and experiencing now. So, while "I'm" not sure whether BTBS should or shouldn't be on the setlist, I'm confident that the band WILL. And I'm also confident that the band WILL be sensitive to what America's going through. I wouldn't worry about U2 depressing the audience. Should they use BTBS.........perhaps they'll be a "different" spin on the song.......who knows? Trust them. Have they let you down yet???????

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
Well, we are seeing the repercussions of that policy.
Doctor Gonzo...never one to pass up an opportunity...

i like Bullet , U2 should play what Bono , Adam , Edge and Larry want , so ...
Fuck all these lists !!
Freedom rules ...even after all attacks , got to be strong , smart and cool

But maybe they should add Peace on earth , or even Please ( great song ! ) ,

You know, I hate to say this, but I really don't think most of the audience at a U2 concert really "gets" Bullet the Blue Sky. To them it's just a rocking song with a kickass guitar solo. Sure, if Bono includes the rap they'll get it, but except for us dedicated and hardcore fans, U2 playing or not playing Bullet the Blue Sky won't make much of a difference.

What the critics say, however, might.

if the fellas were as politically correct as you all seem to want to be they would write and sing nothing., war is not a club., genocide is not a style ... Bullet the Blue Sky is the truth and this country is supposed to stand for that even when it hurts., time to grow up now., and by the way I'm from NYC .

Back
Top Bottom