Reminder: VH1 I love The 80's 1986-87 Thursday Night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
I've been watching VH1's I love the 80's thing everynight, all week long. Tomorrow they will take us through the years 1986 and 1987 and the commercial for 87 showed a little Joshua Tree era U2 with the Matchbox Twenty guy praising the album by saying it wasn't like anything they heard at the time.

The shows have been pretty cool too. I watched 84 and 85 and they showed a little bit of Live Aid and U2 doing Sunday Bloody Sunday from that day.

oh wow, i haven't posted here in like 6 months (law school... ugh), but i saw this topic and had to reply! i, too, have been watching I Love the 80s- that show is freakin hilarious!! thanks for the heads up about 87- i'll be sure to watch tonight.

as for other U2 content: i think on the 83 (?) episode, someone said that bono's mullet was the best of all 80s mullets... was it the lead singer from def leppard who said that?

anyway, i hope everyone's been doing well!
:)

*Ally* said:

as for other U2 content: i think on the 83 (?) episode, someone said that bono's mullet was the best of all 80s mullets... was it the lead singer from def leppard who said that?

anyway, i hope everyone's been doing well!
:)

Glad you're back! :wave:

I thought it was the '82 mullet that got him best mullet award, and yep it was Joe Elliott complimenting him on it.

I think the Xanadu tribute from the first night has been the best so far, I've never even seen the movie and I was peeing my pants during that segment! :laugh:

hey dizzy!!! :wave: how are ya? i hope you've been doing well!

i agree, HelloAngel, that Vh1 should release this series on DVD. it's one of the best shows i've seen in a while- i especially love the guy from "Ed"; he always has really witty comments. :)

bonosloveslave, you've probably been asked this a million times, but i have to ask about your avatar.... is that photoshopped, or real? if it's real, you totally ROCK!!! :up: :D

HelloAngel said:
I hope that VH1 releases this on DVD - this has been CLASSIC@!!!!!!! :up: :hyper: :dance:

I agree. I really have been enjoying the 80's special. They are very funny. it is scary to know that I fell victim to every single trend they have talked about. It has made for fun discussion in the morning here at my office. :lol: I love that Michael Ian Brown guy from Ed his comments are great!

*Ally* said:
hey dizzy!!! :wave: how are ya? i hope you've been doing well!

i agree, HelloAngel, that Vh1 should release this series on DVD. it's one of the best shows i've seen in a while- i especially love the guy from "Ed"; he always has really witty comments. :)

bonosloveslave, you've probably been asked this a million times, but i have to ask about your avatar.... is that photoshopped, or real? if it's real, you totally ROCK!!! :up: :D

I looooooove that Ed guy, and the guy from the Daily Show with the glasses, they are the 2 best commentators :up:

Hmmmmmmm, my avatar....... To my knowledge it's real, but it's not me :( (I'm blonde so it's not hard to *pretend* it's me)
I plan to keep this one until I can replace it with a pic of me and B (hopefully smooching as well :mac: )

Last edited:
bonosloveslave said:

Glad you're back! :wave:

I thought it was the '82 mullet that got him best mullet award, and yep it was Joe Elliott complimenting him on it.

I think the Xanadu tribute from the first night has been the best so far, I've never even seen the movie and I was peeing my pants during that segment! :laugh:

It was the '82 one.

I agree with you guys about the shows...they're freakin' hilarious. Hal Sparks' commentary in particular is cracking me up! What a decade, eh?

They were pretty harsh on the Care Bears, though...I liked the Care Bears when I was little...*pouts*

I noticed they've been talking to Henry Rollins on occasion during the shows this week...I hope they don't ask him his views on "The Joshua Tree" tonight, last thing I need is hearing him insult a great album. :rolleyes:.

Angela

I've been watching the shows this week too and they have provided quite few giggles! I fell asleep halfway through last nights. I swear they are like a time capsule for my teen years! Some great flashbacks and some scary ones! The big hair...verrry bad flashback!

:lol: :no:

Karie

I've managed to catch most of it. Last night I missed the first 10 minutes of the 1984 show. I tuned in just as they were finishing up comments on Bruce Springsteen and Born in the USA. :scream: Why couldn't I have been home 10 minutes earlier?

A few of the people they have commenting are good, such as Richard Belzer (the guy from Homicide), but a lot of them seem to have absolutely nothing to say about anything beyond "Oh, that was cool," or "He/she was hot." I know, it's supposed to be light-hearted and fun and nostalgic, but I'd still like more insightful commentary, like they had when VH1 was doing Behind the Music episodes on individual years - including a couple years in the '80s, such as 1981, 1984 and 1987 (I had those on tape!) Still, I can't stop watching this crazy thing. It does bring back a lot of memories, such as sitting in the movie theater when I was 13 and being absolutely floored when I learned Darth Vader was Luke's father! And going to Godfather's Pizza with my best friend on Saturdays and playing the Pac-Man game there.

I'm going to be out this evening so I will tape the 1986 and 1987 shows. Can't wait to see what they say about U2, but if Henry Rollins starts up on my boys I will punch a hole through my TV screen. :mad: Did you notice how he was kind of talking trash about Bob Geldof last night? :madspit:

:up: Vh1 always has the best week-long specials like this...and since I DO love the 80s, I've been watching every night.

wtf??? I'm kind of glad I don't remember Small Wonder...That looked seriously scary! :ohmy:

Tonight we have JT! Yay!!!

Bono's shades said:
Did you notice how he was kind of talking trash about Bob Geldof last night? :madspit:

I did notice that.

So...is there anything or anyone out there that Henry Rollins does like?

Originally posted by wertsie
wtf??? I'm kind of glad I don't remember Small Wonder...That looked seriously scary! :ohmy:

I didn't know that show even existed. I don't remember it at all.

But from what I saw on the show last night-who in the hell decided that that concept would make a good show? It looked so bizarre...and the girl's monotone voice bugged me (I know she was supposed to be a robot, but still...).

Yeesh.

Angela

Wow, you guys didn't watch Small Wonder?!?! Haha. I remember watching it when it first came on, then my cousins watched it until 1989... Back then we thought the show was funny... But after seeing it again last night, I have to agree: The show was so freaking bizzare.

Moonlit_Angel said:

I did notice that.

So...is there anything or anyone out there that Henry Rollins does like?

I didn't know that show even existed. I don't remember it at all.

But from what I saw on the show last night-who in the hell decided that that concept would make a good show? It looked so bizarre...and the girl's monotone voice bugged me (I know she was supposed to be a robot, but still...).

Yeesh.

Angela

i used to watch small wonder and I remember the one where her head turned around backwards and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world...

Edited to add: :lmao: :lmao: That Public Service Announcement..."I learned it from watching you!!" Never, NEVER say this to your mother when you come home drunk at 3 in the morning!
And also...
"When they called Bono a rock God, they weren't kidding!"

Last edited:
Schmeg said:

Edited to add: :lmao: :lmao: That Public Service Announcement..."I learned it from watching you!!" Never, NEVER say this to your mother when you come home drunk at 3 in the morning!
And also...
"When they called Bono a rock God, they weren't kidding!"

LMAO, I know...I was saying it before the kid did. :lmao:

I still have converse sneaks. hehe

Schmeg said:

i used to watch small wonder and I remember the one where her head turned around backwards and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world...

:lol: :lol: gah memories of Middle School tonight. I love this whole special!

:heart: U2!!!!!!!!!!

What a fu#@$% as#%%#!!!!

KhanadaRhodes said:

yeah, when i see the top 100 countdowns, he's on like every one of them, praising them, except for U2. :D

I JUST HAD TO SPOUT OFF AND THERE IS NO BETTER PLACE TO DO THIS AT 11:30 AT NIGHT (est) THAN INTERFERENCE.COM. WHY THE FU@#$ DOES HENRY ROLLINS FEEL THE NEED TO CRITICIZE AND LAMBAST U2 (& BONO) WHENEVER HE GETS A CHANCE?!? I CAN'T STAND THIS GUY!!!!

OBVIOUSLY, I JUST FINISHED WATCHING THE VH-1 SPECIAL ON 1987 AND THERE HE GOES AGAIN. DURING A SEGMENT ABOUT HAIR BANDS HE HAS TO SAY: "I WOULD MUCH RATHER WATCH A BAND THAT SAYS TO ME 'HEY LET'S ROCK N' ROLL' INSTEAD OF SOMEONE WHO SAYS 'HEY THIS IS A SONG ABOUT NICARAGUA, NOW DON'T SMILE."

THIS IS AN OBVIOUS DIG AT "BULLET THE BLUE SKY." IT IS ONE THING TO COMPARE U2 TO A GREAT BAND LIKE THE CLASH AS THIS SHITHEAD HAS DONE IN THE PAST; IT IS ANOTHER TO PUT THEM DOWN TO A FRIVILOUS ACT LIKE THE HAIRBANDS (EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE FUN).

I'LL TELL YOU SOMETHING: I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S MORE PATHETIC: THE FACT THAT THIS PRICK ALWAYS GETS ON MY NERVES OR THE FACT THAT HE HAS TOO CONSTANTLY PUT DOWN U2. I SUPPOSE THAT AT THE VERY LEAST, U2 HAS HAD A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON THIS PIECE OF SHIT.

I'VE READ ABOUT ROLLINS AND TRIED TO GET AN UNDERSTADNING ABOUT HIM INSTEAD OF JUST SPOUTING OFF. SOMETIMES HE ACTUALLY HAS INTELLIGENT, THOUGHT-PROVOKING THINGS TO SAY.

HOWEVER, EVERY TIME I TRY TO SEE THROUGH HIS ANGER AND BITTERNESS, HE SAYS OR DOES SOMETHING THAT KNOCKS THE RESPECT-FACTOR RIGHT OUT OF HIM. HIS MUSIC SUCKS, HE HAS NOTHING FUNNY OR PLEASANT TO SAY ABOUT ANYONE (OR SO IT SEEMS) AND ANGER CONTINUOUSLY EMANATES FROM HIM.

HE USED TO BE KNOWN AS THE LEAD SINGER OF ONE OF THE FOUNDING HARDCORE BANDS. NOW HE IS NOTHING MORE THAN A CULTURAL SPOKESMAN, COMMERCIAL PITCHMAN, U2-HATING SON-OF-A-BITCH. HOW SAD.......

Last edited:
"Don't smile! This song is about people dying in Nicaragua!" :laugh:

Wonder who he was talking about? Henry Rollins cracks me up.

I almost died when that one guy made the comment something like, "Imagine how much it sucks being in a band with guys named Bono and The Edge and your name is Larry." lmao. :lol:

Re: Our dear pal Henry...

Heh, he's on that wonderful show on TLC, too...Junk Wars or something? The one where they go to a dump and build catapults or cars out of old parts. Now THERE'S a role that says, "I'm SURE not a washed-up has been!"

He's totally jealous. I didn't know anything about him until I read Flanagan (however, I also lived under the proverbial rock until I graduated from college). I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that the majority of people in the world have either heard of Bono, or have had their lives touched by him either as an activist or a musician (hell, the word got to me under my rock; I've loved him since 1987!). Bono CONTINUES to touch people's lives twenty-five years into his career. Bono CONTINUES to be the frontman of a band that successfully reinvents itself every five or ten years. Henry Rollins bashes pop culture and hosts a show where people throw garbage. Give me Bono any day!

*promises to get a life and stop watching too much cable television when the sun comes out and she can go to the beach again*

Rollins is certainly one bitter, bitter man. His U2-hating obsession reveals a whole lot more about him than it does about U2. I'll bet deep down he loathes himself for what's he's become - a washed-up, has-been punk rocker whoring himself to whatever third-rate TV show will have him - and is projecting his self-hatred onto Bono and U2.

Back
Top Bottom