Reminder: VH1 I love The 80's 1986-87 Thursday Night - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2002, 03:14 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Reminder: VH1 I love The 80's 1986-87 Thursday Night

I've been watching VH1's I love the 80's thing everynight, all week long. Tomorrow they will take us through the years 1986 and 1987 and the commercial for 87 showed a little Joshua Tree era U2 with the Matchbox Twenty guy praising the album by saying it wasn't like anything they heard at the time.

The shows have been pretty cool too. I watched 84 and 85 and they showed a little bit of Live Aid and U2 doing Sunday Bloody Sunday from that day.

Old 12-19-2002, 08:59 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:34 PM

oh wow, i haven't posted here in like 6 months (law school... ugh), but i saw this topic and had to reply! i, too, have been watching I Love the 80s- that show is freakin hilarious!! thanks for the heads up about 87- i'll be sure to watch tonight.

as for other U2 content: i think on the 83 (?) episode, someone said that bono's mullet was the best of all 80s mullets... was it the lead singer from def leppard who said that?

anyway, i hope everyone's been doing well!

Old 12-19-2002, 10:05 AM   #3
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by *Ally*

as for other U2 content: i think on the 83 (?) episode, someone said that bono's mullet was the best of all 80s mullets... was it the lead singer from def leppard who said that?

anyway, i hope everyone's been doing well!
Glad you're back!

I thought it was the '82 mullet that got him best mullet award, and yep it was Joe Elliott complimenting him on it.

I think the Xanadu tribute from the first night has been the best so far, I've never even seen the movie and I was peeing my pants during that segment!
Old 12-19-2002, 10:40 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

I hope that VH1 releases this on DVD - this has been CLASSIC@!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2002, 12:08 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I missed the one last Tuesday and last night. But yay for tonight's episode.

Hi Ally!
Old 12-19-2002, 12:28 PM   #6
New Yorker

hey dizzy!!! how are ya? i hope you've been doing well!

i agree, HelloAngel, that Vh1 should release this series on DVD. it's one of the best shows i've seen in a while- i especially love the guy from "Ed"; he always has really witty comments.

bonosloveslave, you've probably been asked this a million times, but i have to ask about your avatar.... is that photoshopped, or real? if it's real, you totally ROCK!!!
Old 12-19-2002, 12:57 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
I hope that VH1 releases this on DVD - this has been CLASSIC@!!!!!!!

I agree. I really have been enjoying the 80's special. They are very funny. it is scary to know that I fell victim to every single trend they have talked about. It has made for fun discussion in the morning here at my office. I love that Michael Ian Brown guy from Ed his comments are great!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:28 PM   #8
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by *Ally*
hey dizzy!!! how are ya? i hope you've been doing well!

i agree, HelloAngel, that Vh1 should release this series on DVD. it's one of the best shows i've seen in a while- i especially love the guy from "Ed"; he always has really witty comments.

bonosloveslave, you've probably been asked this a million times, but i have to ask about your avatar.... is that photoshopped, or real? if it's real, you totally ROCK!!!
I looooooove that Ed guy, and the guy from the Daily Show with the glasses, they are the 2 best commentators

Hmmmmmmm, my avatar....... To my knowledge it's real, but it's not me (I'm blonde so it's not hard to *pretend* it's me)
I plan to keep this one until I can replace it with a pic of me and B (hopefully smooching as well )
Old 12-19-2002, 04:55 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave

Glad you're back!

I thought it was the '82 mullet that got him best mullet award, and yep it was Joe Elliott complimenting him on it.

I think the Xanadu tribute from the first night has been the best so far, I've never even seen the movie and I was peeing my pants during that segment!
It was the '82 one.

I agree with you guys about the shows...they're freakin' hilarious. Hal Sparks' commentary in particular is cracking me up! What a decade, eh?

They were pretty harsh on the Care Bears, though...I liked the Care Bears when I was little...*pouts*

I noticed they've been talking to Henry Rollins on occasion during the shows this week...I hope they don't ask him his views on "The Joshua Tree" tonight, last thing I need is hearing him insult a great album. .

Angela
Old 12-19-2002, 06:03 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
I've been watching the shows this week too and they have provided quite few giggles! I fell asleep halfway through last nights. I swear they are like a time capsule for my teen years! Some great flashbacks and some scary ones! The big hair...verrry bad flashback!

Karie
Old 12-19-2002, 06:36 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I've managed to catch most of it. Last night I missed the first 10 minutes of the 1984 show. I tuned in just as they were finishing up comments on Bruce Springsteen and Born in the USA. Why couldn't I have been home 10 minutes earlier?

A few of the people they have commenting are good, such as Richard Belzer (the guy from Homicide), but a lot of them seem to have absolutely nothing to say about anything beyond "Oh, that was cool," or "He/she was hot." I know, it's supposed to be light-hearted and fun and nostalgic, but I'd still like more insightful commentary, like they had when VH1 was doing Behind the Music episodes on individual years - including a couple years in the '80s, such as 1981, 1984 and 1987 (I had those on tape!) Still, I can't stop watching this crazy thing. It does bring back a lot of memories, such as sitting in the movie theater when I was 13 and being absolutely floored when I learned Darth Vader was Luke's father! And going to Godfather's Pizza with my best friend on Saturdays and playing the Pac-Man game there.

I'm going to be out this evening so I will tape the 1986 and 1987 shows. Can't wait to see what they say about U2, but if Henry Rollins starts up on my boys I will punch a hole through my TV screen. Did you notice how he was kind of talking trash about Bob Geldof last night?
Old 12-19-2002, 06:41 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Vh1 always has the best week-long specials like this...and since I DO love the 80s, I've been watching every night.

wtf??? I'm kind of glad I don't remember Small Wonder...That looked seriously scary!

Tonight we have JT! Yay!!!
Old 12-19-2002, 06:56 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
Quote:
wtf??? I'm kind of glad I don't remember Small Wonder...That looked seriously scary!
I didn't remember it either...didn't even know it had existed!
Have to agree on the scary part!
Old 12-19-2002, 07:13 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Kariann

I didn't remember it either...didn't even know it had existed!
Have to agree on the scary part!
And I looked on the imdb...according to that, it lasted until 1989! Dear God!
Old 12-19-2002, 07:40 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
Did you notice how he was kind of talking trash about Bob Geldof last night?
I did notice that.

So...is there anything or anyone out there that Henry Rollins does like?

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie
I didn't know that show even existed. I don't remember it at all.

But from what I saw on the show last night-who in the hell decided that that concept would make a good show? It looked so bizarre...and the girl's monotone voice bugged me (I know she was supposed to be a robot, but still...).

Yeesh.

Angela
Old 12-19-2002, 08:02 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Wow, you guys didn't watch Small Wonder?!?! Haha. I remember watching it when it first came on, then my cousins watched it until 1989... Back then we thought the show was funny... But after seeing it again last night, I have to agree: The show was so freaking bizzare.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:13 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

I can't believe that show was even on that long! If I would have even seen it one time the robot girl would have driven me insane!
Old 12-19-2002, 09:07 PM   #18
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
yeah, when i see the top 100 countdowns, he's on like every one of them, praising them, except for U2.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:15 PM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Where the hell have I been?????

I want this on DVD. This kicks ass.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:30 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

I did notice that.

I didn't know that show even existed. I don't remember it at all.

But from what I saw on the show last night-who in the hell decided that that concept would make a good show? It looked so bizarre...and the girl's monotone voice bugged me (I know she was supposed to be a robot, but still...).

Yeesh.

Angela
i used to watch small wonder and I remember the one where her head turned around backwards and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world...

Edited to add: That Public Service Announcement..."I learned it from watching you!!" Never, NEVER say this to your mother when you come home drunk at 3 in the morning!
And also...
"When they called Bono a rock God, they weren't kidding!"