Remember the death threats to bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AtomicBono said:
whaaa? death threats? :huh: the only ones I know of are from like 1987...

What was it, like about 2 years ago or so Bono had like 30 some odd death threats in a single month. Crazy shit. I was a moderator at mygnr.com back then and it sparked a debate over whether or not an assasination on Bono would have as much of an impact as Lennons death. The general consenses there(mygnr) was that no it wouldn't have as much of an impact but in reality it should have as much if not more of an impact. Bono has made more of an impact in the humanitarian cause than Lennon and it could be up for debate that he's made as much of an impact in the musical world as well. Though that one would be a tough sell for alot of people.

Hallucination said:

What was it, like about 2 years ago or so Bono had like 30 some odd death threats in a single month. Crazy shit. I was a moderator at mygnr.com back then and it sparked a debate over whether or not an assasination on Bono would have as much of an impact as Lennons death. The general consenses there(mygnr) was that no it wouldn't have as much of an impact but in reality it should have as much if not more of an impact. Bono has made more of an impact in the humanitarian cause than Lennon and it could be up for debate that he's made as much of an impact in the musical world as well. Though that one would be a tough sell for alot of people.

That's really fucked up that people who obviously have too much time on their hands are discussing over the internet about the possibilities of the assassination of a celebrity. :tsk:

Zootlesque said:

That's really fucked up that people who obviously have too much time on their hands are discussing over the internet about the possibilities of the assassination of a celebrity. :tsk:

Bullshit! It's not fucked up up at all. It was durirng a time when a music icon(Bono) was having death threats directed at him. It was a conversation about what kind of legacy Bono would and will leave if these threats actually came to fruition. I thought given the circumstances it was a very legit debate and amazingly enough at the Guns N' Roses forum(mygnr.com) Bono was shown alot of respect by the Gn'R fans. Gimmie a break and stop acting so righteous. The people at the mygnr.com are no more burdened with "too much time on their hands" than anyone here.

Hallucination said:

It was a conversation about what kind of legacy Bono would and will leave if these threats actually came to fruition. I thought given the circumstances it was a very legit debate and amazingly enough at the Guns N' Roses forum(mygnr.com) Bono was shown alot of respect by the Gn'R fans. Gimmie a break and stop acting so righteous.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound righteous. So Bono already had death threats going and these people were just discussing them? I must've misunderstood/mis-read. Cos I thought it was a bunch of people just talking about the effects a possible assasination of a celebrity would have on the world. That kind of discussion without any real threats would only give ideas to the bad elements out there. That's why I responded the way I did.

Zootlesque said:

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound righteous. So Bono already had death threats going and these people were just discussing them? I must've misunderstood/mis-read. Cos I thought it was a bunch of people just talking about the effects a possible assasination of a celebrity would have on the world. That kind of discussion without any real threats would only give ideas to the bad elements out there. That's why I responded the way I did.

No biggie. I may have jumped down your throat a bit anyways. I tend to do that sometimes. My apologies also. It's all good. :) But yeah there was a reason behind the discussion at mygnr.com. The topic wasn't just some random "what if Bono was murdered?" kind of thread.

It might have been a "very legit debate," but it's still all rather morbid, don't you think? :sad:

Something I'd personally rather not even contemplate. But more power to ya, if you like to debate that sort of thing.

aislinn said:
It might have been a "very legit debate," but it's still all rather morbid, don't you think? :sad:

Something I'd personally rather not even contemplate. But more power to ya, if you like to debate that sort of thing.

Is the news morbid? Maybe. Bono was recieving threats and we discussed the the legacy Bono would leave had the threats been followed out. I don't see how this makes it morbid. I guess everyone wants to live in a world full of daisies and butterflys. Talking about AIDS in Africa and the repercutions of AIDS in Africa if somthing isn't done to fix the problem is also morbid I suppose. Let me put it this way. The conversation leaned more towards Bono's legacy as a humanitarian and a musician in commparison to John Lennon. Don't make the mistake of assuming we were discussing the possible ways in wich an assasin would go about it. That's ridiculous. That would be morbid. Discussing Bono's legacy, not so morbid.

Hallucination said:

Yeah something about Bono getting a bunch of letters, allegedly originating from England.

He/U2 also got them in the 80's too.

"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, he was coming tonight!

"Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for
Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty
International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind.
When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me,
between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."
." --Bono: In His Own Words.

Last edited:
Death threats? Guys, Vertigo x2 isn't that bad!

*That was horrible*

Anyway, re: the quote from Bono, first time I read it, but it's just so cool. Adam - what a guy! :adam:

Palace_Hero said:

Yeah its one of my favourite moments in U2 history that. Adam realising the actual talent in the band must live on.

It's called friendship. Not everyone has a friend who would take a bullet for them either.

Wow that was a nice story about Adam :up:

Anyway, I'd rather not speculate about suchs death threats. Unfortunately there are some messed up people in the world, but the important thing is not to feed into it. I'm sure Bono, while probably cautious, feels the same.

Hallucination said:

Bono has made more of an impact in the humanitarian cause than Lennon and it could be up for debate that he's made as much of an impact in the musical world as well.

:eyebrow:

thrillme said:

Yeah something about Bono getting a bunch of letters, allegedly originating from England.

He/U2 also got them in the 80's too.

"Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for
Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty
International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind.
When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me,
between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."
." --Bono: In His Own Words.

That is my absolute fav story... i love it, i don't know if it's sweet or what...but i love it

Back
Top Bottom