Remastering 3 Old Albums This Year!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the tourist said:

Probably the best mixing of any of their albums. :up:

Totally agree. Those 80's records got screwed in the transfer to CD, but these albums really stand up sonics-wise. I'm not sure what beef people have.

I only wish U2 could put out a warm, organic record like War again. The pre-Pro-Tools era really made for memorable, lived-in sounding records.

Yeah, I love the production on the first three albums. I'm actually worried they might lose a bit in remastering - plenty of dated productions still have a really nice feeling going over them. 'Warm and organic' was a good way of putting it.

ntalwar said:

AB doesn't suffer from the anemic sounds (e.g. bass and drums) that the 80s albums do, so I don't think they'll remaster it.

Then it'll continue to sound like shit. :happy:

This is unfortunate... I'm going to have to shell out a bunch of money for this because I am too much of an insane U2 fan to pass this up.

I hope that put Red Rocks onto a SuperDeluxeEdition DVD for War like they did with JT from Paris.

digitize said:
This is unfortunate... I'm going to have to shell out a bunch of money for this because I am too much of an insane U2 fan to pass this up.

I hope that put Red Rocks onto a SuperDeluxeEdition DVD for War like they did with JT from Paris.

:up::up::up: TOTALLY!

Great news, I think all three of these albums need some remastering. In particular October.

Honestly though if it was just a remaster I wouldn't be super excited. Its the deluxe editions with bonus stuff that makes me want to run out and buy them. I hope they include some cool stuff like they did with the Joshua Tree edition.

Either way I will be there they day they come out purchasing them. :)

yeah, it would be great to see some of the Pre-Boy stuff officially released, plus "A Celebration" would be a nice remaster.

ponkine said:
Anyone knows the content of the deluxe and SD versions of Boy, October and War? :(

As far as it is known, there is no SD versions of these albums. There are only 2 versions at this point. Regular and deluxe.

Roland of Gilead said:

As far as it is known, there is no SD versions of these albums. There are only 2 versions at this point. Regular and deluxe.

It would be a pity not to see a SD version. There's enough footage for each album

Good to hear, I am glad to see all the remastering...even the new albums need it.

mikal said:
yeah, it would be great to see some of the Pre-Boy stuff officially released, plus "A Celebration" would be a nice remaster.

QFT...I think we'll get all the single B-sides and most likely the original version of '11 O'clock Tick Tock' on CD for the first time. These are exciting times to be a U2 collector.

And to those who think this is just a cash grab, my advice is 'don't buy the products'...personally I've been wanting remastered (slightly remixed) CDs for 10 or so years. I think it's finally time to put the work into this...kudos to all those involved...:applaud:

That said I'm fortunate that I can afford to buy these, so I can understand the reluctance some people have towards this, but I don't think it make U2 money-grubbers...not at all...:no:

I would agree. If anything, they took their time to do this, and to do it right. Every other major artist has released their back catalog remastered in some form or another (with the exception being Bruce Springsteen), and sometimes there is no special packaging or bonuses involved. At least U2 is handling these with the proper care and attention they deserve.

digitize said:

The Red Rocks DVD is rumored to be included with the deluxe edition remasted Under A Blood Red Sky for release in September.

ntalwar said:

AB is already "loud" enough, so I doubt it'll be remastered.

In an article last November when The Joshua Tree remastered album came out, Paul McGuinness stated the entire U2 catalog was going to be remastered and given deluxe treatments as well.

It appears they are going chronologically with the first 3 albums in May and Under A Blood Red Sky is rumored for September. Perhaps The Unforgettable Fire will also be in September.

November should bring the new U2 album, so the next batch of remastered albums probably would not appear until May 2009 at the earliest, but perhaps they'll come out in regular installments while U2 is on tour in 2009.

I would expect all the Itunes exclusive studio recordings to appear on the deluxe editions like how Beautiful Ghost made it on to The Joshua Tree.

With CD sales dwindling, I could see U2 wanting the entire catalog of remastered albums out within the next 2-3 years.

phanan said:
I would agree. If anything, they took their time to do this, and to do it right. Every other major artist has released their back catalog remastered in some form or another (with the exception being Bruce Springsteen), and sometimes there is no special packaging or bonuses involved. At least U2 is handling these with the proper care and attention they deserve.

Springsteen did Born to Run with a live show attached last year or the year before did he not? So that pretty much makes it everybody!

PookaMacP said:

Springsteen did Born to Run with a live show attached last year or the year before did he not? So that pretty much makes it everybody!
Hope he never does a remastered Nebraska. That album has a 'feel' to it that would be totally lost in a cleaned up remaster. A lot of it (maybe all?) was recorded using basic 4 track equipment that adds a lot to the minimal appeal of the songs.

I'm most looking foward to War and Unforgettable Fire. Both deserve a sonic revamp. Especially Unforgettable Fire. But I mainly want to b-sides. I wonder if all the re-realeses will as jazzy as Joshua Tree. I doubt it, but I hope!:drool:

PookaMacP said:

I meant an artist's entire catalog. Born To Run is the only one Springsteen has released. All of his other albums haven't been touched yet.

Basically, what I want is U2's entire catalogue mastered at very similar volumes so I can make a mix of it all and not have half of it be extremely loud.

Back
Top Bottom