Remaking Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Screwtape2 said:
10. In Wake Up Dead Man stop the song at the line "can we rewind and just watch more." Then play the entire album backwards at a really fast speed for about ten seconds and have the chorus came in at the end of those ten seconds.
11. After Dead Man ends have an old man saying quietly, "Miami" over and over again.

LOL. They missed a golden opportunity there.

1. Redo the 2 lyrics in Playboy Mansion regarding Michael Jackson and OJ Simpson. They date the song horribly.

2. Miami is NEARLY perfect, add the guitar riff used life at the end of the song (they one they used on their version of Happiness Is A Warm Gun)

Discotheque (Leave Alone)
Do You Feel Loved (Leave Alone)
Mofo (Let him say Mother Fucking, other than that, it is absolutely perfect)
If God (Single Version has a better structure. But the WHOOSHING effect from the album adds so much.)
Staring At The Sun (Leave this track alone. Do not strip it down. Do not make it acoustic. And do not try anything like the best of mix. Awful.)
Last Night On Earth (I dunno. Both versions are aweome. I think the structure of the bridge on the single version tightens the song. Add the closing guitar riff from the Popmart tour just because I love it so much. For me it is already perfect, but damn that guitar part is wicked!)
Gone (ABSOLUTELY PERFECT)
Miami (See above)
Playboy (See above)
Velvet Dress (My only complaint about this amazing song is that it should be an hour and a half long. I exaggerate, but it is so good in my mind that it deserves to be longer.)
Please (I like the guitar part from the live / single version as much as the next guy, but the album version is absolutely brilliant. leave it alone)
Wake Up Dead Man (Touch it and die)

I dunno. OF all the track (this is my favorite U2 record, mind you) Playboy is the weakest in my mind. ANd those lyrics date it possibly more than any other U2 song. I would say switch it for something, but B sides from the era would be hard to choose from ...

Holy Joe isn't finished enough
North And South Is brilliant but doesn't really fit thematically
I think "I'm Not Your Baby" would sound great alongside Gone and Please and Last Night, and given the right mix would be awesome between Miami (especially with that extra Miami guitar bit at the end) and flow well right into velvet dress.

Dunno.
For all my details, I think the album is perfect and brilliant and criminally underrated by theband themselves. And it still confuses me to see them omit it entirely in the current setlists.

Last edited:
there is no need to do a remake of POP...its perfect as it is. POP in 1997 was years ahead of other productions at this time. and that was the main problem for this great album...many people didn't understand the music and the themes.
in fact POP is their last great album
:rockon:

1. Put the Best of mix of Discotheque instead of album version.
2. Better production on If god will send his angels.
3. Strip down Staring at the sun, make it closer to the acoustic live version.
4. Add the live solo to Last night on earth, and come up with a better chorus.
5. Use the Best of mix for Gone.
6. Drop Miami, and put on North and South of the river instead.
8. Do a new vocal take for If you wear that velvet dress.
8. Add live solo to Please, which should be the closer for Pop but anyway.
9. Strip down Wake up dead man. Use only bass, guitar, drums and vocals. Think live version, but with Adam and Larry on it.

NO. Don't drop the boom chas. They add a fun element.

NO. Don't drop Miami. It kicks ass!

NO. Don't use any of those Best Of mixes. They suck balls.

NO. Don't do a new vocal take for Velvet Dress. It's perfect as it is.

Leave POP the FUCK alone, you bastards! :mad:

:corn:

AtomicBono said:
As for If God, I think empty and distant is exactly what the intro is supposed to sound like. :wink:

You know what? I agree! I take back what I said about IGWSHA before. That intro is perfect after the chaos of Mofo! :drool:

So really, the only thing that I would change is Please... give it a fuller sound, more like the single and add the guitar solo at the end for an orgasmic finish with Bono's cries for help a la the live version. :wink:

But if they're gonna mess with anything else on the album, I'd rather just leave it alone. :|

:up: Agreeing :hug:

Leaving all else aside, and IF they do it, what about vocals on the album? Should they keep 1997 Bono singing on the songs or should Bono of today have a try with it?

Why don't we paint a smile on the Mona Lisa while we're at it??

How about we add a couple inches to David's wang?

You don't mess with a masterpiece :mad:

MMmmmmmmm POP.

I hope that they don't red POP as a full blown album project release.

What would be cool is if they were to release reworked POP songs (if they really wanted to do that) as bonus material somewhere. Because the only ones that would care at this point would be some of the hard core fans.

Maybe make it a charity release for a cause (emergency) in Sarajevo... or have the proceeds go to African wells, etc. Or as a free gift for putting up with U2.com membership subsciption renewal.

The remakes on the best of are awful, I say stand by the finished product.

It's like having a kid, raising them for 10 years then giving them cosmetic surgery because the neighbors tell you they're ugly... Well.. maybe not but you get my drift.

And what's with all the Hatin' of the BOOM CHAS??? It's the same as the OH OH OH OH's at the end of Pride as far as I'm concerned, Bono just vocalized it better.

Hands off the POP people...

I would give the drums on Gone a hard louder sound. How dare they remove the brilliant drum fill that Larry performs during the middle of the song on the best of version?

For Miami I would extend the drum fills and put in a jazzed up guitar solo.

On Dead man I would ask Larry to use different sounding tom toms for the fills.

If God would send his angels: extend the fills using different tom toms a much fuller and louder sound to the guitar.

Use the live version of Please.

I would take the production money, tell them my production genius requires solitude, turn up the volume of the original recordings and blow my fee on high class hookers. They would be none the wiser.
I guess I'm saying I love Pop as it is, even with the low volume it was recorded at.

I would urge them to find out where they wanted to go musically
I can deal with an eclectic album, but Pop is just haphazard
void of a clear direction

basically I would tell them they to replace just about all the songs from 4-9 (with the exception of Miami and maybe Gone or Last night if reworked) with something else

as much as I think the production could have been better my main problem is sense of direction and - well - songs with actual rememberable chorusses

I think they needed an extra year to finish Pop into the masterpiece some of it shows it could have been

GibsonGirl said:

I think the new mixes on 90-2000 are bloody awful.

The only one I prefer out of those was Gone.

It's the Edge backing vocals during the chorus that gets me.

:drool:

Salome said:

as much as I think the production could have been better my main problem is sense of direction and - well - songs with actual rememberable chorusses

Chorusses fuc#ing chorusses. You have plenty of catchy chorusses since 2000 now that is for certain!

rjhbonovox said:

Chorusses fuc#ing chorusses. You have plenty of catchy chorusses since 2000 now that is for certain!
I didn't say catchy, I said rememberable
Discotheque, Mofo, Could you feel love and Please for example do contain this quality (for me at least)

Gone, Last Night on Earth, Playboy Mansion
good songs (well, to call Playboy Mansion a good song is stretching it, I think it wouldn't have made the album had it not been for the delicious outro) but no chorus to lift the song to a higher level

Staring at the Sun does have a chorus to lift the entire song up, but this only really worked live when it wasn't troubled by some questionable production

a chorus can take an entire by the arse and change your perspective on the entire song
too many Pop songs don't have this quality

Salome said:

I think they needed an extra year to finish Pop into the masterpiece some of it shows it could have been

Why should an album always have memorable choruses??? It is not necessary. All rock music does not have to have the same structure.

Yeah, an extra year to "finish" POP into an overproduced HTDAAB??? No thank you.

Back
Top Bottom