Relevance of U2s music videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooper2000

The Fly
Ive been watching the Best of 1990-2000 DVD, and I find that the videos are not bad, but they don't seem to be (for the most part) relevant to the song, OR are just done poorly and the message is kind of lost in translation. Maybe its just me and I think the songs are about different things, but like.. Stuck/One and others im not going to name them all, just don't seem to be done very skillfully. They just seem to be the same concept all around the board (with few exceptions). What are your peoples opinions? Maybe you gotta setme straight here.

I think U2 have only ever done six great videos - Fly, Stay, Lemon, Hold Me Thrill Me, Unforgettable Fire, and One (the video with the bulls going off the cliff, not the other twos), so yeah I'd largely agree. U2's videos aren't really their strong point to be honest.

They are better than Aerosmith's

They are better than Bon Jovi's.

Doesn't say much, I know, but it means they are not the worst around. Music videos are generally crap, if you ask me.

financeguy said:
I think U2 have only ever done six great videos - Fly, Stay, Lemon, Hold Me Thrill Me, Unforgettable Fire, and One (the video with the bulls going off the cliff, not the other twos), so yeah I'd largely agree. U2's videos aren't really their strong point to be honest.

I agree with the above, but I'd also like to add Even Better Than The Real Thing, Electrical Storm, Sometimes..., and With Or Without You to the list.

I also agree that videos are not U2's forte, but they are better than average IMO

Cooper2000 said:
Ive been watching the Best of 1990-2000 DVD, and I find that the videos are not bad, but they don't seem to be (for the most part) relevant to the song, OR are just done poorly and the message is kind of lost in translation. Maybe its just me and I think the songs are about different things, but like.. Stuck/One and others im not going to name them all, just don't seem to be done very skillfully. They just seem to be the same concept all around the board (with few exceptions). What are your peoples opinions? Maybe you gotta setme straight here.

Well I guess it depends on what you are using as a measure of relevance? I mean some of the best videos have absolutely nothing to do with the song.

I think many artist choose not to make a literal video because they want their audience to be able to interpret the songs their own way.

Most of their 80's video were weak, Streets was pretty cool and With or Without You was good plus it somehow got away with showing a woman's nipple without being censored. AIWIY was U2's first concept video and has people talking about it today, the whole who died controversy...

I think the original Stuck video is brilliant.

The One video(in drag) is beautifully done.

EBTTRT is innovative, smart, and has a lot to do with the song.

The Fly is just cool style, just like the character.

Stay is a great video and allows for many different interpretations.

HMTMKMKM is completely relevant to the song.

Staring at the Sun was pretty innovative but not great.

Numb is just a fun single shot video.

Please is ok, interesting concept but maybe didn't get executed properly.

IGWSHA is interesting.

Wild Horses, I love the black and white footage but could have done without the live footage.

Lemon, brilliance.

Last Night, pretty weak.

U2's top ten videos in no particular order are(with my star ratings out of 4 next to each...)

With Or Without You***
All I Want Is You****
One(Drag)***1/2
One(Buffalo)****
One(Bono)***
Numb****
Lemon****
Stay****
If God Will Send His Angels***
Please****

"Lemon".. actually has a lot of symbolism in it, which indeed does fit the song. Gotta observe. But also the flow of things.

"If God Will Send His Angels".... once again... there is indeed symbolism in that which ties into the song. It makes sense. Very much. Think about it.

"One".. either of them... especially the Drag and Buffalo versions... hold a lot of symbolism. In fact.. the drag version is swamped in it.

"Please"... same.

I dont know.. but I sure see alot of relevance in these.

all i want is you is glorious as is stay.

lemon is a great one, and so is please.

walk on is a pleasant video as well.

Re: Re: Relevance of U2s music videos

BonoVoxSupastar said:

and With or Without You was good plus it somehow got away with showing a woman's nipple without being censored.

I have heard that but never noticed. Is it a fuzzy black and white amorphous dot that you really can't recognize?

Re: Re: Re: Relevance of U2s music videos

bsp77 said:

I have heard that but never noticed. Is it a fuzzy black and white amorphous dot that you really can't recognize?

Oh, but what a glorious black and white amorphous dot! :wink:

Videos are okay, but I'd trade them all to see the band play live. Even live on tv.

Re: Re: Re: Relevance of U2s music videos

bsp77 said:

It's pretty recognizable, it's just imposed over other footage so it's not obvious.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Relevance of U2s music videos

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It's pretty recognizable, it's just imposed over other footage so it's not obvious.

Hmm. Something to look out for.

I disagree

Most U2 clips are definately relevant to the song and capture the mood of the song, especially these ones,

All I want is you
Sweetest thing
lemon ( funny how Bono initially hated the clip)
Streets
Even better than the real thing
mysterious ways (love the Bono thrust! :drool: )
numb
Stay

I always thought the video for Starring at The Sun was really cool. The one with all the florecent lights. It looked really trippy. I like alot of U2 videos but alot are pretty lame. I mean City of Blinding lights could've and should've been a great video but it turned out very poor I think. I'm greatful to have been there when they shot it but I was dissapointed with the result.

and Sometimes?
all you people were saying it was the one of the greatest U2 videos ever?
not anymore, come on..

I always thought IGWSHA was an amazing piece of work. The video is strongly linked to the video. I kinda viewed it as Bono as the angel on earth down beatnen by the world, people talk over him, don't notice him. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Stay video beats all the others! :bow:

I also love streets, new year's day, even better than the real thing, please and beautiful day videos. numb and lemon are funny too :up:

worst... maybe pride or mysterious ways :yuck:

I've never liked the HMTMKMKM vid, always thought the animation was a bit crappy, though I do remember hearing it was the quickest made animated music video ever (at the time, anyway, don't know if it's been topped)

My fav vid is prob Discotheque or The Fly :) :up:

I cannot listen to Even Better Than The Real Thing without thinking of the video, with the added in orgasmic female grunts. Best U2 vid ever.

New Years Day for the stark imagery, the first relevant video of their career.

With Or Without You was very elegant, suited the song, and yes, it has nudity.

Hold Me Thrill Me was very cool. Gets #4 ranking.

Lemon, for sheer weirdness.

Not sure about relevance to the song (do videos need to be??) but I think they have made some great videos

Lemon is awesome - my favourite u2 video ever
Even Better Than The Real Thing is superb
One - all versions great
All I Want is You, Desire, With or Without You, Streets vids all top notch

And a great overlooked early video is Two Hearts Beat As One

"Lemon" and "Stay" are probably two of the best music videos, in general.. ever made.

"One" (drag version), too.

The All I want is you Video has absolutely no relevance to the song itself whatsoever, I remember seeing the band quoted somehere saying it was a 'parallel' storyline.

However that is one of my favourite videos, and works magnificently with the song.

I agree that stuck seems a bit of an odd choice for a video, but I guess they were thinking along the same kind of lines.

perhaps though these videos do detract fromwhat the essence of the song is all about - ie elevation - evil bono?

My fave video I think is discotheque which has everything to do with the song

Hey!! I really liked the Last Night on Earth video...looks like I was the only one. Just loved the way Bono reacts when Sophie Dahl starts getting, um, 'restless'. Giving her a dirty look, almost tutting, then staring out of the window ignoring her.

Anyway the other videos I like (bearing in mind I haven't seen most of the ones that aren't on the best of DVD):

NYD (The perfect opening shot)
LNOE
EBTTRT (I know people think of Discotechque as the most controversial video of U2's career but surely when this was first aired, heck, even now, this is the one that shocks people more?!)
Beautiful Day
Electrical Storm
Stay (managed to change my opinion of the song)
Stuck (Not American football version)
IGWSHA
Lemon (It's not their best but Bono plays his characters v.well here)

Last edited:
I love the Last Night on Earth Video, if it didn't have the awful single mix going over it I'd consider it perfect. Two Hearts is rubbish but gets an honourable mention as it is the ONLY TIME ADAM HAS EVER, EVER BEEN COOL. That's not an opinion, but a proven fact.

IGWSHA is the best U2 video ever made.

Back
Top Bottom