Release Methods - Radiohead v. U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xaviMF22 said:

and diehard U2 fans would do the same I think...I mean they would get any bone U2 throw at them :wink:

Sure, and 1/3 of this forum would bitch all the way to Best Buy that U2 were taking advantage of diehard fans. How many people bitched like hell when U2:18 came out and we had to pay $18 for a concert dvd and two new tracks?

Utoo said:
Sure, and 1/3 of this forum would bitch all the way to Best Buy that U2 were taking advantage of diehard fans. How many people bitched like hell when U2:18 came out and we had to pay $18 for a concert dvd and two new tracks?

I think the anger against U2 is pent up because of past crimes like the new mixes and terrible compilations. This is Radiohead's first crime as opposed to U2's 40th. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

I think the anger against U2 is pent up because of past crimes like the new mixes and terrible compilations. This is Radiohead's first crime as opposed to U2's 40th. :wink:

u2's 40th? :lol:

oh right HTDAAB was the last one :wink:

Zootlesque said:
Somebody said... kid a was released = mr. brau got pwned!

:lmao:

is pwned a newfangled internet word for "a drink coaster?"

Because when Kid A was released, I did indeed, get a coaster.

It's amazing this internet thingy. People I haven't interacted with in months know I got a nice coaster in 2000.

MrBrau1 said:

It's amazing this internet thingy. People I haven't interacted with in months know I got a nice coaster in 2000.

pwnd means

radiohead hate you :wink:

so radiohead pwned you by releasing kid A

and I use U2's last album as a coaster too :hi5:

MrBrau1 said:

I do remember you talking about using Amnesiac as a coaster. :hmm: Are you such a huge fan of Kid A & Amnesiac that you have to have them not only in your CD player but also as coasters? :drool:

Zootlesque said:

I do remember you talking about using Amnesiac as a coaster. :hmm: Are you such a huge fan of Kid A & Amnesiac that you have to have them not only in your CD player but also as coasters? :drool:

In 2000 I was a bigger RH fan than you and Xavi put together.

I purchased both those albums. Listened to them, and put them to the use they were best suited for.

these arguments are lame.

it's like neither side is trying to convince the other... and whenever someone puts forth a valid opinion, it's instantly forgotten because someone else has already said something childish.

the above post from deathbear... irony at its finest.

intedomine said:

So us folk who like to obtain our music the normal, reasonable and traditional way have to wait potentially 4 months to own the bloody thing, just 'cause we like to hand our money to a human being over the counter rather than sign up for a credit card and lose our hard earned in cyberspace.

It's just completely uneccessary.

More pretentious than innovative or brave...
I don't see how this is pretentious. U2 are ripping off fans left and right by making songs that could be downloadable off itunes impossible to get unless you buy another hits album. Even the Ultimate U2 collection on itunes requires paying $150 just to get some rarities in addition to the albums most U2 fans already own.

The album always takes months to put out. This is a way to get it to people faster in the meantime. It's no biggie, and Radiohead have never been as ridiculously rock star greedy as U2. Radiohead is probably the most important band since the late 90s and they're still turning out good music, which U2 hasn't been able to do for 15 years. U2's experiments gone wrong can be forgiven, but the commerical self-consciousness of the last 2 albums and now ripping fans off left and right through Interscope is ridiculous. Radiohead aren't doing to be popular. They're doing it because they can and don't care as much about massive profits. Good for them for actually caring about art, and not charging membership fees, and putting out deluxe editions without lyrics (forcing us to buy the regular versions of HTDAAB) and live DVDs with far less material than is possible; Milan had only 10 tracks and the official Vertigo DVD had an awful vocal performance by Bono, compared to so many better performances the band has recorded; the deluxe edition of Vertigo was just an insult; even the Zoo TV and Popmart deluxe versions had 6 extra songs or something. How about another concert on that extra DVD, especially since this is a rerelease?

I love CDs and that's why I've bought the discbox. I won't listen to it for another couple of months because I'm not ready for it, but Radiohead have at least tried to subvert the record company game, while U2 have gone along to unreasonable degrees at the detriment of their fans' interests.

Also, keep in mind, the bonus disc is not "In Rainbows", but something else. These songs aren't on the vinyl for a reason. Radiohead probably felt they would have upset the cohesiveness of the album. The album is available for mp3 lovers for any price they'd like. U2's latest hits repackaging didn't include the full concert, had 1 lame track and another cover with Green Day, which is not what U2 fans want; it's more a cheesy attempt to crossover and pick up Green Day's fans. Even the hits album profits aren't going to Katrina victims, only the single. U2 is getting incredibly greedy. They're saving their full concerts for a future cash grab and I'm sick of it, though I will buy what they release....but I'm not happy! :(

Also, Radiohead were upset last time because the album was leaked from their studio before it was properly finished. It was the artistic integrity of it that upset them, not the lack of profits, though they have a right to those, too. Radiohead also don't like people buying songs separately and that's why they haven't released them on itunes. They feel strongly that it should be a full album-listening experience.

Anyway, I think the old U2 would have understood.

Last edited:
Careful about saying Radiohead don't care for profit. It was a risk that could have failed them, but it sounds like In Rainbows earned Radiohead more cash in one single day than Bono and Co. would have pocketed from weeks and weeks of Atomic Bomb sales.

Earnie Shavers said:
Careful about saying Radiohead don't care for profit. It was a risk that could have failed them, but it sounds like In Rainbows earned Radiohead more cash in one single day than Bono and Co. would have pocketed from weeks and weeks of Atomic Bomb sales.
You're right. They do care about profit, but it's an important degree of difference. U2 have signed a deal which is allowing their record company to be really egregious in their profiteering. Charging for the official site?

Many of these profits are from preorders and the sales will probably drop off until the album is in stores in 2008.

Radiohead obviously want enough money to live the good life, but U2 have really gone overboard these days. It's shocking! Radiohead also don't compromise their art. From what I've read, but not heard (not for another 2 months!) is it's one of their best albums. That's very gutsy to even offer to give it for free, when U2 are making fans pay for a full $150 instead of being able to download individual rarities off itunes. I'm not saying U2 are evil, but they have so much money they shouldn't seek to profiteer off us at every turn with substandard merchandise. Radiohead's $82 discbox, includes vinyls, which cost a lot, a hardcover booklet, an extra disc, and free shipping anywhere in the world. That's not bad considering I paid half that to buy a deluxe version of HTDAAB from my local store and it didn't even have lyrics, and I'm pretty sure that was intentional! It was just a dirty move for such a major band.

Profit's okay and I think illegal downloading, espeically for the well-off, is unethical, but ripping people off is pretty bad, and it means I no longer want to defend U2 against illegal downloading the way I do Radiohead. Radiohead is rich, but it could be a lot richer!

Muldfeld said:

U2 are ripping off fans left and right by making songs that could be downloadable off itunes impossible to get unless you buy another hits album. Even the Ultimate U2 collection on itunes requires paying $150 just to get some rarities in addition to the albums most U2 fans already own.
Yes, U2 were the first and only band to pull off that masterful scheme. You really think U2 is the first to make a box set with some new stuff, or a hits album with new tracks? Think of all the bands that did this before the digital age... when they truly were BOX sets.
Muldfeld said:

Radiohead aren't doing to be popular. They're doing it because they can and don't care as much about massive profits.
This is why your posts are so frustrating, because 99% of the time you don't know what you are talking about.
Muldfeld said:

Good for them for actually caring about art, and not charging membership fees, and putting out deluxe editions without lyrics (forcing us to buy the regular versions of HTDAAB)
You know you could have printed them from the internet for free, right? :huh:
Muldfeld said:

and live DVDs with far less material than is possible; Milan had only 10 tracks and the official Vertigo DVD had an awful vocal performance by Bono, compared to so many better performances the band has recorded; the deluxe edition of Vertigo was just an insult; even the Zoo TV and Popmart deluxe versions had 6 extra songs or something. How about another concert on that extra DVD, especially since this is a rerelease?
Now YOU are being the greedy one. The bonus u218 only cost 3 bucks more than the regular. 3 bucks for 10 songs, not bad. Maybe they only liked those 10, it's not some fucking conspiracy that they will release it later...

You can't be this clueless...
Muldfeld said:

Also, keep in mind, the bonus disc is not "In Rainbows", but something else. These songs aren't on the vinyl for a reason. Radiohead probably felt they would have upset the cohesiveness of the album.
Probably felt they would have upset the...:lol: I love the speculation. When Radiohead do it, it's for art sake, when U2 do it, it's only for money sake. That's so cute that you actually believe that.

Muldfeld said:

The album is available for mp3 lovers for any price they'd like. U2's latest hits repackaging didn't include the full concert,
Wow, you really need to get over this dude.

Muldfeld said:

had 1 lame track and another cover with Green Day, which is not what U2 fans want; it's more a cheesy attempt to crossover and pick up Green Day's fans.
Does this go for every collaboration known to man or just when U2 does it?
Muldfeld said:

Radiohead also don't like people buying songs separately and that's why they haven't released them on itunes. They feel strongly that it should be a full album-listening experience.

Wow, what a crock. You just bitch about U2 doing this, but now it's for artistic reasons when RH does it.

:lmao:

Without record labels we wouldn't be excited about Radiohead - loads of bands release their singles free on the internet, but we don't hear about them.

Record labels are a necessary evil - publicity is important.

Muldfeld said:
U2's latest hits repackaging didn't include the full concert, had 1 lame track and another cover with Green Day, which is not what U2 fans want;

Really? What kind of research did you perform to determine that there were no U2 fans who were also Green Day fans?

I loved the collaboration.

Speak for yourself all you want (which you do very well :wink: ), but don't lump everyone into your little Camp O' Bitter.

corianderstem said:

Really? What kind of research did you perform to determine that there were no U2 fans who were also Green Day fans?

I loved the collaboration.

Speak for yourself all you want (which you do very well :wink: ), but don't lump everyone into your little Camp O' Bitter.

Bitterstar Galactica?

Correct.

Now write a 5 paragraph essay about how Edward James Olmos is more politically insightful than politics itself.

Back
Top Bottom