Release Dates Of Past Albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericb

The Fly
I know the month and year that all were released, but not the exact day:

Boy- 10/80
October- 10/81
War- 3/83
Unforgettable Fire- 10/84
Joshua Tree- 3/87
Rattle And Hum- 10/88
Achtung Baby- 11/91
Zooropa- 7/93
Pop- 2/97
ATYCLB- 10/00

Look on www.u2tours.com for the tour dates. And then you can look at the Lyrics section on the Interference site. I believe they have the release dates of all the albums and singles.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

It seems to me that they like releasing albums in October!! (Hey, they even named an album after the month). Might this be when we get the next offering???

Thanks for the info!

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
It seems to me that they like releasing albums in October!! (Hey, they even named an album after the month). Might this be when we get the next offering???

yeah i know! lol ... that'd be nice if that's when the album came out. as long as they don't tour when i have exams again!
mad.gif

------------------
and today the millions cry, we eat and drink while tomorrow they die...
ME!

Weird- with the exception of Zooropa, all the albums were released in February/March or October/November. I wonder if there's a reason, or if it's just a coincidence.

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:
Weird- with the exception of Zooropa, all the albums were released in February/March or October/November. I wonder if there's a reason, or if it's just a coincidence.

it fits nicely with larry's hibernation patterns. they didn't need him much for zooropa so they recorded it whenever the hell they wanted. in fact when he woke up he was mad they had made an album.

------------------
there are only 2 universal languages: mathematics and love

Originally posted by kobayashi:
it fits nicely with larry's hibernation patterns. they didn't need him much for zooropa so they recorded it whenever the hell they wanted. in fact when he woke up he was mad they had made an album.

LOL! Poor Larry.
icon20.gif

Originally posted by mikal:
This is how bored I am!

that's pretty bored. you should get drunk!

------------------
there are only 2 universal languages: mathematics and love

Originally posted by ericb:

Pop- 2/97

Actually, according to U2.com, Pop was released in March 1997, not February. A minor point, though.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by kobayashi:
that's pretty bored. you should get drunk!

No. I only drink twice a week. So I'll save it for this weekend.

------------------

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:

I don't think it is a coincidence, especially from War on. The first few months of every year are always quite slow (as the holiday season just ended). So, record sales are also quite low during Jan-Feb (look at the sales at this moment, they're about 50-75% lower than during Nov-Dec). From March on, record sales usually rise again (a bit). So many 'big' albums get released from March on.
I already stated it, the end of the year is the holiday season, which means big record sales. So many 'big' albums will be released in the last few months (Oct-Nov) of the year to cash in on the high sales.

Finally, the summer is another slow season. Many are on holidays, it's hot and not many minds are set on discovering new music. So that's why not many 'big' albums are released in the summer.

Basically, the months to release an album by a high-profile act are March-May/June and end of Sep-Nov.
On the other hand, debuts and albums by small artists are often released in the beginning of the year. This also has to do with the music reviews. When a critic likes an album (s)he can say: "This is the best album of the year (so far)!" This is of course a nice quote to use for promotion, even though it was said about an album released in January.

Hope this helps.

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

This is how bored I am!

I'm trying to compare how much time U2 took between the release dates of their albums and the start of their tours.

Does anyone know all the dates?

------------------

Popmartijn is a SmartyPants
biggrin.gif

Huh? Do I have Smarties in my pants? Where?
biggrin.gif

C ya!

Marty

P.S. For those who do not know Smarties, they're a bit like M&M's (the ones without peanuts)

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Back
Top Bottom