Rejoice appreciation thread..... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2002, 11:50 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:57 AM
I'd love to hear U2 do a song from "October" live and see the instant division in the crowd between the casual and more serious fans. How long has it been since they've played any of those songs live?

Old 08-30-2002, 12:30 PM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 07:57 AM
tee-hee wrong thread.

Old 08-31-2002, 06:17 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904
I'd love to hear U2 do a song from "October" live and see the instant division in the crowd between the casual and more serious fans. How long has it been since they've played any of those songs live?
Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I know they did Gloria early in the Joshua Tree tour, and since then I don't think they've played anything off October, maybe not even once. If I could go back in time and see U2, I would pick either the Unforgettable Fire tour, which I have heard was truly magical, or else early in the JT tour, because at that point, besides the great new songs, they were also still doing Gloria and The Unforgettable Fire.

But considering they did songs off every other album on the Elevation tour, and they even pulled out more obscure things occasionally like Party Girl, 11 O'Clock and even Spanish Eyes, for crying out loud, I can only conclude that they really don't want October to be remembered at all. This is one of a few things I distinctly dislike about U2.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:06 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by scatteroflight

I can only conclude that they really don't want October to be remembered at all. This is one of a few things I distinctly dislike about U2.
This does seem very true and I wonder why????? what is it about October that they dont dig because this album is amazing and really does have some excellent songs on it, poor old October, if I ever manage to meet the guys I will be sure to ask thema bout this, but hey could you imagine how cool it would be to be at a show and hear the opening to say Tomorow or Gloria???? now that would be very nice
Old 09-01-2002, 11:39 AM   #25
Refugee

And even on the greatest hits, they didn't include Gloria, which to me was really insulting to the song and the album, and though they included October they put it on as a hidden track--and since there was nothing "officially" included from October on the track listing, it really seemed like they were ashamed of the album. And they included FOUR songs off Rattle and Hum--please! Whose bright idea was that?

Sorry, somewhat off-topic rant...
Old 09-01-2002, 11:42 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Quote:
And even on the greatest hits, they didn't include Gloria, which to me was really insulting to the song and the album, and though they included October they put it on as a hidden track--and since there was nothing "officially" included from October on the track listing, it really seemed like they were ashamed of the album. And they included FOUR songs off Rattle and Hum--please! Whose bright idea was that?

Sorry, somewhat off-topic rant...
I totally agree with you. Poor October always seems to get pushed under the rug!
Old 09-01-2002, 11:56 AM   #27
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:57 AM

Quote:
And they included FOUR songs off Rattle and Hum--please! Whose bright idea was that?
you're right. it pissed me off to see october get shafted like that. i love this album!
Old 09-01-2002, 03:50 PM   #28
New Yorker

Quote:
And even on the greatest hits, they didn't include Gloria, which to me was really insulting to the song and the album, and though they included October they put it on as a hidden track--and since there was nothing "officially" included from October on the track listing, it really seemed like they were ashamed of the album.

Someone did once post on Interference that Bono had said that he felt the song Gloria was "dated" and that's why the band left it off Best Of.

I dunno if that's true but my feeling is that the October album is (at least somewhat) thematically religious and I've guessed for some time that Bono feels like that was a long time ago and maybe the band was young and naive when they recorded October and yes, maybe the band members are a little embarrassed about the October album at this point in their lives. Just a theory and I'm probably way off. *shrug*
Old 09-01-2002, 04:06 PM   #29
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:57 PM
am in a massive hurry for work, but must say thanks for this - wonderful song from an album Ive played more than any other!
will play now in the car - thanks again

Pamela
Old 09-01-2002, 06:32 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 10:57 PM
I dont own the Best off and I must say taht I am completely in shock to discover that there is no Gloria on it- that is so f#%ed up!!!!- why???? Gloria is such a great song and here in Australia it is very well known, I am still in shock, what is it about this album- I think some of your theories are correct but hey in my opinion if there is an album to be a little embarrassed about than that should definetly be Rattle
Old 09-02-2002, 02:37 AM   #31
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:57 PM
I could never understand why Gloria was not on the best of, such a great song! Just seems amazing.
isnt Larry a standout in Rejoice, well the whole album belongs to him in many ways I think.

Pamela
Old 09-02-2002, 05:32 AM   #32
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

Someone did once post on Interference that Bono had said that he felt the song Gloria was "dated" and that's why the band left it off Best Of.

I dunno if that's true but my feeling is that the October album is (at least somewhat) thematically religious and I've guessed for some time that Bono feels like that was a long time ago and maybe the band was young and naive when they recorded October and yes, maybe the band members are a little embarrassed about the October album at this point in their lives. Just a theory and I'm probably way off. *shrug*
1) I've heard the thing about Bono saying Gloria was dated or even that he "hates" it now, but I've never seen a concrete quote to back this up.

2) The thing about GLoria being too religious and naive, or whatever, might make sense except for the fact that Bono was so openly religious (or whatever you want to call it) on the Elevation tour. "God is in the house." Hallelujahs and thanking the Almighty at the end of the show, for pity's sake! And if he doesn't want to sing "Oh LOrd, loosen my lips" or whatever, why not just sing "oooooohhhhh, loosen my lips" and then everyone can assume it's about a girl or whatever they want!

rant rant rant This is just a pet peeve, as you can obviously tell...
Old 09-02-2002, 01:04 PM   #33
New Yorker

Quote:

1) I've heard the thing about Bono saying Gloria was dated or even that he "hates" it now, but I've never seen a concrete quote to back this up.
I've never seen an actual article cited, so I'd agree, that quote could very well have been made up.

Quote:
2) The thing about GLoria being too religious and naive, or whatever, might make sense except for the fact that Bono was so openly religious (or whatever you want to call it) on the Elevation tour. "God is in the house." Hallelujahs and thanking the Almighty at the end of the show, for pity's sake! And if he doesn't want to sing "Oh LOrd, loosen my lips" or whatever, why not just sing "oooooohhhhh, loosen my lips" and then everyone can assume it's about a girl or whatever they want!

Good points. I wouldn't argue with you on any of that.

I absolutely love Gloria, and I would have been incredibly stoked if they played it on the Elevation tour. That also goes for Rejoice, which is just a completely rocking song.