Rediscovered Unforgettable Fire album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
It's there in my U2 collection. For awhile, it was lost in the CD swallowing hole that is my car, but it found it's way back. I don't know much about it. I'm pretty fluent in most things U2, but this album....I don't really know what happened. I know contains Pride and Bad, two of U2's biggest hits. But the studio versions are so inferior to the live versions, that they hardly are listenable on the album. Unforgettable has been, to me, the final frontier in U2's music. I've found every b-side, side project song, every pre-boy song I can get my hands on. But in my 8 years as a fan, I've never experienced the magic of Promenade, Indian Summer Sky, or Elvis Presley and America. It just never happened.

But I am in love. A sort of homecoming in it's original version brings a totally new element to the song! Wire is pure energy, awesome. Unforgettable Fire and Promenade are some of U2's most beautiful. I went to u2.com and looked up some of the lyrics. Bono is probably in one of his best forms on this album. You have to think about these lyrics, but once you do, they mean so much more. I can't believe I haven't come to this album before! I burnt a new copy of it, and put 3 sunrises and Love comes tumbling on, just to make it a longer and more complete album. With these added tracks, this is just a perfect album! I feel like I felt when I was first discovering U2. It's good to have things like this happen during this "down time" of waiting for the new album.

cool :up:

I have a rediscovering of the Unforgettable Fire every month or so. It's a fabulous cd, but you can't listen to it repeativly. I love putting it away for awhile and then suddenly getting an urge to listen to it. It's like hearing it for the first time.

:happy: :up: I'm always so happy to see this fantastic album get the recognition it deserves. It's one of my favorites and it's very special and unique, with its dreamy, just over the next hill, just above the next cloud atmosphere. It is so full of passion and greatness. I personally believe this to be Bono's finest vocal performance. He was in his prime and it's a joy to hear him sing that way and hit all those notes. This album was never just a sound, it was a visual image, emotions and most of all, a FEELING. I can't even really explain what that is, but I know those of you who have felt it will understand!

I love the whole album, but I'm kind of weird because I prefer The Unforgettable Fire, Indian Summer Sky, A Sort of Homecoming andn Promenade to Bad and Pride!

Love UF -

IMO, the studio/album versions of Pride and Bad are the best. They are understated musically, but Bono's voice is top-notch on both recordings.

The live versions are always more up-tempo, which to me, take away from their original impact.

This is my all time favorite album. I couldn't live without it! I actually can't get sick of this album. I have had it in my car for like a month now. I always go back to it, there is so much beauty, passion and emotion throughout the entire album.

If I could, through myself, set your spirit free. I'd lead your heart away, see you break, break away into the light.

Carnival, the wheels fly and the colors spin through alcohol. Red wine that punctures the skin.

:love: Unforgettable Fire! :up:

UF is a masterpiece, but surprisingly little talked about among U2 fans. It's their first with Eno/Lanois. I remember when the album came out using Brian Eno was huge news because it was the first of the many changes in direction they've taken.

As U2Kitten said, it's probably Bono's finest vocal performances on a studio album. The emotion and passion in his is unparalleled I think.

As you listen to it you have to appreciate all of extremely atmospheric quality to it the recording (thanks to Eno/Lanois). That along with the cover art and Bono's meditative and ambiguous lyrics give the album an extremely ethereal quality. Contrast this with the immediacy of the sound and lyrics of War and you can see why UF seemed such an interesting departure for U2 when it came out.

It's interesting because I saw THE ROOTS a couple of weeks ago and as part of their intro they played '4th of July' off of UF in its entirety as the band came out. It so awesome to hear that track LOUD as hell and also at a hip hop show of all places!

UF is the only U2 album I didnt like on first listen.

About 3 months later it was my favorite U2 album. It's still one of my absolute favorites of theirs.

oh...tell me...
charity dance with me
turn me around tonight
up through spiral staircase
to the higher ground

the unforgettable fire was my first U2 album, way back in 1984. it has always remained my favorite. when i hear these songs, i am fourteen years old again. the blurry, passionate vocals of elvis presley and america, the mystical quality of fourth of july, the opening of bad...U2Lady said it best. there are no words to describe what this album means to me.

Promendate - one of the few TRUE U2 love songs.

If you can find it, get a copy of the Making of UF tape. Highlights include Bono doing his "new melody at the mic" stuff, and Eno/Lanois/Edge completely blown away by what he is doing.

"maybe you can try standing for this one".

I might add, I LOVE the variation he improvises from the verse to the chorus... "but they could not take your priiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide... MORE in the name of love"... it's awesome.

I've rediscovered this album this week when my brother asked me to burn him a copy. Listening to it, I felt myself taken back in time, I was also 14 years old. UF will always be my favorite album.

interesting thread. because i just re-rediscovered UF during vacation, i guess it's the cd i listen to less often that and rattle and hum :reject:. It's not that I don't like them or like them any less but I guess I just listen to other U2 cds more. Bad is porbably one of my fave song anyways, and I love Wire and Indian Sumemr Sky. without doubt this cd is really amazing and underrated.

I dont understand how anyone can "rediscover" UF.
Once discovered (!!!!!!!!!!!!) it is never lost.
How beautiful is this album - a treasure, glorious and etherial - its all been said before - every track a marvel - also great b sides - Love Comes Tumbling! Glad some of you are rediscovering it.
I often thought Heartland had an UF feel about it.

Pamela

Last edited:
UF is just beautiful. I always have a copy of it in my car. Whenever I have a shitty day; I put it on and it makes me feel 100% better. Just love thise album!!!:yes:

I didn't buy UF for the longest time because I always heard it wasn't very good except for Pride and Bad. I'm glad I finally ignored conventional wisdom and bought it. It's an absolutely beautiful record.

Back
Top Bottom