RED (WIRE) - Video clip of a new Christmas U2 song (11/30/08)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rules are rules, so that is ok. I just want to point out that it says on the page INTRODUCING (RED)WIRE. LAUNCHING 12.1.08. - What is RED Wire

All your (RED)WIRE music is yours to keep - they are unprotected digital files. Play them as you'd like, burn them to a CD...enjoy.

Well that says all your (RED)WIRE music is yours to keep. Assuming you already paid for it. Sounds more like you can do what you want with the file for yourself, i.e. burn it to a disk, but it doesn't say its ok to pass it around a large internet forum to people who haven't paid for it, etc. I'd just rather be safe than sorry, in any case.

Well that says all your (RED)WIRE music is yours to keep. Assuming you already paid for it. Sounds more like you can do what you want with the file for yourself, i.e. burn it to a disk, but it doesn't say its ok to pass it around a large internet forum to people who haven't paid for it, etc. I'd just rather be safe than sorry, in any case.

Agree.

That's correct. According to the Terms & Conditions:

3. Use of Content and Proprietary Notices

3.1 Certain content of (RED)WIRE, including, but not limited to, text, design, photographic images, audio material, video clips, illustrations, artwork, articles, reference information, menus and all other protectable elements of (RED)WIRE, which is not "Subscriber Content" as defined below (collectively, the "(RED)WIRE Content"), remains the sole and exclusive property of us or the owners or authors, as applicable, including, but not limited to, all copyright, trademarks and all other proprietary rights. To the extent that you become a Subscriber to (RED)WIRE, you are granted a limited, non-transferable license or sublicense to the (RED)WIRE Content subject to these Terms of Use. You agree not to duplicate, or otherwise extract, any of the (RED)WIRE Content for any purpose other than for your own personal use, unless otherwise specifically authorized by us in writing. You also agree not to sell or modify (RED)WIRE Content, display, publicly perform, distribute or otherwise use any (RED)WIRE Content, in whole or in part, for any public or commercial purposes without our specific prior written consent. All use of the (RED)WIRE Content shall inure to the benefit of us.

since i'm at work i can't listen right now. but i'm wondering if there's anything noticibly new about the production or sound.

not sure if it's even something to look at because we don't know if the Xmas song is in any way tied to their other recording sessions.

since i'm at work i can't listen right now. but i'm wondering if there's anything noticibly new about the production or sound.

not sure if it's even something to look at because we don't know if the Xmas song is in any way tied to their other recording sessions.

No, there's nothing innovative about this track, and I doubt that was the intention.

Interesting. I think Bono's voice is what does the song. I feel the rest is quite boring. Might grow, though.

It's not that it's terrible, it's that he sounds like he's been singing for a year straight (which he probably has been singing for longer than a year)

Listen to the first time he sings the phrase "Christmas morning" at about 40 secs in and tell me his voice isn't struggling a little bit. That's just one example.

The good thing is, it seems this song was hastily thrown together and supposedly they've already had a lot of songs in the can for a good while.

The bad thing is, they always do shit at the last minute.
A rocking song can compensate for his lower register when it's at it's weakest but when it's something like this or Miracle Drug, it's just a hell of a lot more obvious.

The production is almost retro-JT style. It sounds more like JT than anything they've done since (the delay guitars remind me of Rise up or something like that). However, the song and the lyric emphasis are not JT-like at all, so it's a funny contrast.

I'm sure the album will sound different, but it's nice how bare and confident the production is, compared to other U2 tribute productions (Tower of song, the wanderer Johnny Cash tribute version).

Santiago

Although I will say that he sounds stronger the higher he goes... which was the truth for a lot of the Vertigo Tour, too.

No, there's nothing innovative about this track, and I doubt that was the intention.

I'll qualify this by saying that I don't expect much innovation and never really did. I don't believe the bullshit hyperbole artists who try to sell fans who already know better.

That said, I love the tone of Edge's guitar.
It's not unlike at least two dozen songs he's already recorded but that's his money spot IMO.

And actually, I think it sounds okay in terms of production (realizing it was a quick song for a cause).

It sounds better than the Neon Lights cover, which might be pretty comparable in some respect. Then again, the mp3 I have of Neon Lights might be a shit rip.

The production is almost retro-JT style. It sounds more like JT than anything they've done since (the delay guitars remind me of Rise up or something like that). However, the song and the lyric emphasis are not JT-like at all, so it's a funny contrast.

I'm sure the album will sound different, but it's nice how bare and confident the production is, compared to other U2 tribute productions (Tower of song, the wanderer Johnny Cash tribute version). No overbearing synths or multi-programming madness.

Santiago

Santiago

Good call.....this does remind me of 'rise up'

I'm sure the album will sound different, but it's nice how bare and confident the production is, compared to other U2 tribute productions (Tower of song, the wanderer Johnny Cash tribute version). No overbearing synths or multi-programming madness.

Santiago

Santiago

I agree. There are keyboards in the background of this song that almost remind me of WTSHNN, and as you mentioned there's the big-time delay guitars. I wonder if Brian Eno produced this? The keyboards definitely sound like him.

I'll qualify this by saying that I don't expect much innovation and never really did. I don't believe the bullshit hyperbole artists who try to sell fans who already know better.

That said, I love the tone of Edge's guitar.
It's not unlike at least two dozen songs he's already recorded but that's his money spot IMO.

And actually, I think it sounds okay in terms of production (realizing it was a quick song for a cause).

It sounds better than the Neon Lights cover, which might be pretty comparable in some respect. Then again, the mp3 I have of Neon Lights might be a shit rip.

This may not be innovation, but it is a step in the right direction for them. Those who are saying that WITS was not a change from the last album aren't listening either. These people lump them into songs they don't like as much and think it's the same thing. In the end, it was a different time sig, and sounds nothing like anything they'd done before.

I feel the same about this. It's not a radical change, but it's a step in the right direction. It feels like they are modernising their late 80's sound.

This is no bad thing. That in itself is reinvention. It feels to me listening to the low quality beach clips, and then this that its a mix of the JT sound and the AB sound: a sensible move for a band rediscovering their mojo to go back to their two most succesful albums.

And to those NOT expecting a change, remember that it is U2 we're talking about... why all of a sudden are people expecting them to be samey? when have they ever done that? They have had more reinventions than anyone. 2 albums on one sound isnt th e end of the world. I am confident of steps in the right direction

This is a cover right? so why the hell are people questioning why its not innovative :S

This is a cover right? so why the hell are people questioning why its not innovative :S

Because it's possible for a band to make a song its own and thus make it innovative. The only thing that had to stay the same was the lyrics. Not that I dislike it, it's decent enough

Edge's guitar tone sounds standard but I've always liked his guitar style so...

Once again I don't think people are looking for experimentation and innovation in a Christmas cover song.

help

I am still awaiting my email from the site to subscribe !!!!!!!!!!!!! When I log onto the site all I get is a red/black rotating circle ??????? Mike

I love it, but I've always loved this particular Christmas Song. :up:
It just thrills me to see all 4 of them playing something new, even if it is a cover.

Especially when Bono's standing there all calm and collected :love: then walks to the mic and blows me out of my chair with "I WISH YOU A HOPE FOR CHRISTMAS".
Gave me chills I tell ya. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom