Red Ships of Scalla-Festa, let's talk about the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I have a sneaking suspicion, Red Ships of Scalla-Festa, that you are secretly very excited about the next U2 album. I would like you to come out and openly admit this to the world. Let's talk about this future U2 release, and let's be serious. See you on top of the world...

Deathbear can kiss my ass - he never recognizes me.

I feel like the last kid picked for a team.

Do I have to hit 2000 posts before he sees me - what to do?

Bear - look at the Content section, then tell me I am not worthy.

:middlefinger:

*I tired to get in here before this was CLOSED

ILuvLarryMullen said:
I think he is more excited about the new avril lavigne cd.
:barf:
by HUGE mistake...I ordered her first album on Columbia House(one of the "free selections")...I guess out of curiousity. :barf:
well curiousity killed the moron<------meaning me....
Needless to say...I couldn't even get through one listen of that damn album. Nasty stuff. :barf:
Someone please remind me to sell that damn thing for a buck. :der:

alright michael, your on.

your right, i was thinking about it in my car today that im really looking forward to the new album. im expecting something quite a bit different than all that you cant leave behind. why?

well from what theyve said, it sounds like they want the same approach - song based, but they want a harder sound. their cover of beat on the brat is great, it shows JUST the four of them, no eno effects or anything.

not that eno did u2 wrong, but to be completely raw is something very different for u2. not since war have they had a raw album.

ill have more to say about this later, but yes, im excited about it.

how about you mike?

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa, I must say, I'm not only delighted but surprised--but not to the point of being in shock--with your resonse. I do appreciate your honesty. Now, to the question at hand: will this next U2 album be GREAT? I'm sure that is the question weighing in on everyone's minds, come 3 years into the millenium. I may not have the answers you are seeking, but I do have some things you may want to know. The question remains...what will it sound like, and will it be as good as the big 3? We all know the big 3, yes we do...and no, they don't include ATYCLB.

You ask if this will be RAW? Do you know Chris Thomas' production style at all? I will have to say, this album will not be raw in the sense that you are speaking...though it will be raw in terms of guitar, bass, vocals, and drums. There will be heavy treatment on these, however. Do you like the ending of 'Electrical Storm'? When the fireworks go off in the video? Well, think of that sound. That is the direction this album has taken. Yes...don't ask me how I know...but this much I can tell you.

You will be RAWKED by a song called 'All Because of You' and swayed gently by a song called 'Original of the Species' This much I can tell you.

Now. out with your next statement!

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa, let's not jump to conclusions, my good friend. All I'm saying is what I'm saying. This next album has taken shape in the most extraordinary way imaginable, but it's nothing that will shock you too much once you view it in retrospect. Yes, you will have the biggest smile on your face on first listen, and yes, you will take back almost every comment you've made about U2 in recent months, but this is all beside the point. This album will scream for attention on its own merits, much like Achtung Baby -- but it will not sound like that record at all. Do you like old school? Do you like The Who? How about David Bowie? How about simple arrangements? How about big sound? Do you appreciate classy pop rock? Rock with a pop sensibility that still has the power to shatter your windows? This album will need to be played at high volume...that's all I'm saying.

Tell me, Red Ships of Scalla-Festa, what more do you have to say on the matter to which you alluded earlier? I'm very interested....

"This next album has taken shape in the most extraordinary way imaginable, but it's nothing that will shock you too much once you view it in retrospect"

This is an contradictory statement. I don't think too many U2 fans, new or old, from the time the new cd comes out, will feel like taking back anything. IMHO!!

sue4u2 said:
"This next album has taken shape in the most extraordinary way imaginable, but it's nothing that will shock you too much once you view it in retrospect"

This is an contradictory statement.
Actually, not necessarily. Consider: the album may, for example, have taken shape because Edge found a really neat way of creating vocals simply from the sounds emanating from his throat--kind of chant like vocals, say--but once you hear it within the context of the music, it doesn't sound at all abnormal...simply like layered music. So here, the direction has been rather extraordinary, but doesn't sound shocking, and nor is it shocking when you veiw, in retrospect, that U2 have always been innovative. Also, consider: What if, say, U2 came up with the direction for this record while on top of a mountain peak in Switzerland. Imagine if the idea to replicate a free fall from such a height in musical terms was what propelled the album into a certain direction. Now imagine this sounding quite interesting, but nothing too shocking by U2 standards--and in fact, sounding like the next level up from a song like 'Electrical Storm'--and you'll see that such a statement as my afformentioned quote isn't as contradictory as first conceived.

Michael Griffiths said:

You will be RAWKED by a song called 'All Because of You' and swayed gently by a song called 'Original of the Species' This much I can tell you.

Confess......how would you know this?

BigMacPhisto said:

Confess......how would you know this?

yeah michael... nothing for you to play the mystery man.

i know you will share all your insights and (possible) inside information with us. don't keep it too long from us!

Dorian Gray said:

"All I'm saying is what I'm saying"

his answer to all speculation is in that statement.
Exactly.

Red Ships, out with your next statement!!! I was looking forward to discussing your excitement of this new record, and hearing your views, but you're disappointing me!

Last edited:
there was an article done where the author heard both of the songs mentioned in earlier reports. Original of the Species is about edges daughter and reminded the author of a certain song by David Bowie (called something like Alladin) and he said that All Because you was the hardest song he had ever heard by the band.

Here was the information from the article (Q magazine)

It's affecting stuff. And there's more to come. Edge buries his navy blue skull-capped head into a bulging slip-case of CD-Rs and locates his favourite mix of "Original of the Species," a slinky pop song built around a primitive riff, with shades of Bowie's "Aladdin Sane." Bono is on his feet in an instant and monkey-stepping to the loping groove, singing away and proudly declaring, "This one's about Edge's daughter."

Then, when the guitarist cues up another new track called "All Because of You," things get physical. It's the rawest song U2 have ever recorded: the quartet recast as an abrasive garage band.

"It's The Who!" Bono howls, windmilling Pete Townshend-like and landing light(ish) blows on Q's arm to emphasise musical accents.

Michael Griffiths said:
We all know the big 3, yes we do...and no, they don't include ATYCLB.
ok, I do not know the big 3 then
enlighten me

the new album will be the ramones meet simon & garfunkel

Salome said:
ok, I do not know the big 3 then
enlighten me

the new album will be the ramones meet simon & garfunkel
You do know the big 2, right? Correctly add one more, and you get the big 3.

PS: Nice try on the description of the album..'A' for effort.

Last edited:
According to the "news" section, the new album will be in the vein of ATYCLB but with harder guitars..Hmm:huh: Doesn't really tie in with what we've been hearing..oh well.

I know!!!! Michael Griffiths is actually Bono! He's just trying to fuck with us!

Okay, maybe not. :wink:

sue4u2 said:
This is an contradictory statement.

If I had a nickel for each time I've said that to Griffiths... I'd be flying my freakin' hats first class that's for sure.

Originally posted by The_acrobat
I know!!!! Michael Griffiths is actually Bono! He's just trying to fuck with us!

I was just going to say that as well. He's Bono's schill.

As for the new album... if they go down the road of The Who, it will be a very welcome surprise for me. But, I don't want to hear an album of U2 covering the Who. Hard guitars sound good.

Anticipating Full Metal Jacket :yes:

Whats The Story? said:
Don't be so coy, tell us what you know!;)

Having read everything Michael has had to say in numerous threads, I can sum up what he does know.

Nothing.

:sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom