Red Ships of Scalla-Festa, let's talk about the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reggie Thee Dog said:
And where is Cujo?

:sexywink:

The album might be more low key commercially (in relative terms to ATYCLB, not musical vernacular), but I think that can only benefit the creative process.

More guitar, less banter.

I'll settle for sitar.

:up:

Micheal, what is your prediction date for the album to be released? Granted I know you don't know, but your guess would be better than mine...

StlElevation - That's a good question, and your guess is really as good as mine. However, I will say this much: U2 always delays. Pop was delayed a year, as was ATYCLB. This new record has already been delayed a bit if were to look at the original release date predictions the band had been throwing around (ie, summer of 2003, LOL). If they're now saying spring of 2004--and if the album is only half finished--I'm thinking it won't be done till the summer of 2004. That's just my opinion of course. My friend who knows Michael Stipe's physical therapist said it won't be done till next year for sure. Nothing that we don't already know!

Why has Bono (largely a loudmouth, but I love him for it) not spoken to the press or raved about songs that are on 'the burner' so to speak since at least July?

Because they are in the studio working on finishing the album. half of it is finished. That doesnt mean the other half is coming from scratch, the other half is probably largely complete.

If you consider that some of the earliest work began right after the Elevation tour, it has been almost 2 years since the initial work began. They brought in Chris Thomas in April 2003 according to reports. So really the work has only been 'produced' for about 4 months and the band took an entire month off in August I believe.

So really if half of it is done, and the other half (which might be largely near finished) between overdubs, lyric rewrites and additional writing and re-working. I still stick by saying they will be done before Christmas or the first of the year.

I think it explains the silence. Of course I am an optimist.

When Thomas joined the band as a producer, the band had already laid the foundation for the album. What has to be going on now is 'production' and finishing for the most part.

If the band are at odds with Thomas, that could mean a few things.

It will be pushed back, yet again, and all hope for a spring release is gone or that many ideas have been scrapped and they are starting a-new with a different direction and half to write a whole new half of an album.

Is that likely? What would give anyone that idea? I guess the silence in the press could say something. But if that were the case would Bono and Edge take precious time off to go on vacation for a month?

I think not. I think they are almost done. And I think we will see the album in March. The longer they wait, the more momentum is lost. They had serious momentum at the end of 2001. Optimism was blooming and they had ideas bursting from their souls. They already had music to work on to begin with.

Everything that has been reported has told us that the band is moving in a positive direction. If they aren't finished in the next 30 days or so, that means that it has changed.

If they are stripping back on effects and production, then why would it take longer? Have they changed directions again? I don't think so. Again, I am just an optimistic fan.

U2DMfan said:
If they aren't finished in the next 30 days or so, that means that it has changed.

If they are stripping back on effects and production, then why would it take longer? Have they changed directions again? I don't think so. Again, I am just an optimistic fan.
I was with you on everything you said until this part. If they're not finished in the next 30 days, there could be many factors involved, including the vacation time you brought up. We also know U2 are pefectionists. They could spend months longer on production alone. To that end, and to extend your last point, I don't think U2 have stripped back the production too much. The music has been stripped back to the raw elements, but that doesn't mean the production will be stripped right back.

As for changing direction, I think U2 will have quite a variety to draw from this time out. They've got the leftovers from ATYCLB, as well as the "punk rock from Venus" stuff...and who knows what else they might be coming up with now months later. When an album is spread out this much, you're bound to have several differen directions come through. Take 'New York' from ATYCLB for example. That was one of the last songs during the making of that album, and it shows. I think they'll do a good job of mixing the elements this time out...but it will be more guitar centric. 'New York' and 'Electrical Storm' were only the beginning.

Last edited:
Yes Michael you are correct sir!! I think that U2 have until November to finish up and turn over the tapes to Universal for mastering and release in March. I agree with you that they started this album in one state of mind and with the passage of time they may have drifted or brought in new ideas. I also agree with U2DMfan that they are in the latter stages of the album and nearly complete, hence the vacation (yet since it is in France, where they have a studio it could have been a working vacation).
I have little doubt we'll see a new album March of 2004.

another sign of completion was the band talking about album concepts already with Steve Averill. I don't know how much time he (and his company) would need to make a November? deadline to have everything in place.

The thing is that the band were quoted as saying "the album will come out at THIS time, or THAT time...." But they've said nothing lately. They've made no promises starting in about summer. Everyone is saying March 2004. We have absolutely no reason to believe that. We have no reason to believe March 2004 instead of November 2004. That's the truth. I think that if the album were coming out in March, we'd at least be hearing things by now. SOMETHING.

The_acrobat,

They could finish the album tomorrow or within the month and it would come out around Christmas time or early January. So what does it mean really?

It's common knowledge that an album is released approx. 90 days after the masters are turned over to the record label. So basically a "March or April projection" still has until right around Christmas or early January to be totally written off.

My guess and others I'm sure is under the assumption that they are already (in September) very close to finishing. In 2 more months, even 3, they still could get it out by March or even April.

What I was trying to say is that the 'silence' could be because they are in the process of finsihing it. Why else has Mr. Rattletrap himself Bono not been running off his mouth lately?

We will find out soon enough, I'm sure. There's just not much else to speculate on right now.

At least we've got some people talking about it again.

This one`s from PLEBA. It`s the article out of a french newspaper where Bono gives some interesting news about the release date of the 1st single (Feb. 1, 2004) and what he`s doing in France - not just relaxing, but working hard on the new album! Enjoy it, cheers, Larrry.

----------------
"Achtung baby" ! Paul Bono Hewson, the international pop star from the band U2 arrives to the African Queen. His 'favorite restaurant' will celebrate its 35th birthday next year and Bono is affirmative : he will be there ! This restaurant from Beaulieu-sur-Mer is the daily restaurant of the irish star. And the place he chose to welcome us.

Singing in Nice - a dream !
Large hat, open shirt, green glasses and flip-flops : Bono is on holidays and more relaxed than ever. It's because the mythical leader of U2 knows where he is. Gilbert and Annie Vissian, the owners of the African Queen, have been 'good friends for fifteen years. They're almost part of my family.'
And of the neighborhood : Bono owns one of the most beautiful house properties of Eze. This prodigal child of music is an adopted Azurean. Every year, people are expecting him at the jazz festival ; he's been thought of being seen in the Palm Beach Cannes Festival, he's noticed at the African Queen ... but never onstage. So, when will we see him for a concert in Nice ?
'It's still a dream. It would be fantastic, magickal. But it's incredible how the administrative way is complicated over here. This stadium (Charles Ehrmann) is probably one of the most expensive stadium in the world. And we're all really sad about that.'
So it's as a tourist that Bono, smiling, comes to spend his summer on the Coast. 'On the good years, I spend until 4 months on the C?te d'Azur. And this year is a good year !'
From June to September, the singer seizes the 'exceptional atmosphere of the area to invite some friends over, take care of my children ...' and working, more than ever. 'I'm a workaholic', a work-addicted who's always trying to write and record new songs. 'But it's more than a job - it's my life. And it's so easy to live my life here, calm among chaos, amid all those people that respect my private life, and that doesn't want to disturb me.'

A daily activism

Discreet, Bono is not unavailable either. That a child comes to ask him for an autograph, he draws a little drawing and a personalized word. 'I'm used to it : with my family, I spend hours drawing the restaurant's tableclothes !' And always this need to give pleasure. The leitmotiv of this unique celebrity is to always help the others.
' You know, I'm a catholic Irishman. A guilty catholic. 2 millions of Irishmen died from the famine in the XIXth century. I have the chance to be healthy. Today, it's Africa that dies from poverty and AIDS, the biggest weapon of mass destruction. I can't remain with my arms crossed around my chest with having a bad state of conscience.

I had this revelation in 1985, during a humanitarian experience in Ethiopia.' Since then, Bono is the spokesperson of the cancelling of the third world debt. The popstar is convinced not to ever let alone the administrations of the most powerful countries in the world. ' One shall never give up. At first, Bush refused to see me. But I harassed me so much so he listened to me ... ' and gave a consequent amount of money for the third world countries. ' When you're a famous artist, it's not that easy to get heard. People look at how you're dressed. Some are taking you for an exotic tree !'

Today Bono acceeded to a real recognition from the political world and the high decisional administrations. 'The secret is to never get angry. I represent the poor, the weak, and God is with us. The politicians are the ones who should be nervous !' And as long as Bono will live, he'll fight. 'And you can realise that this world is soft, that you can always make things change. It inspires me a lot.'

To the point he always has a new song in mind ... And promises already 'a new single for February 1st'. A 'real rock' CD should follow, 'with heavy melodies, like in the good old times'. After three years of silence, the fans should appreciate. But Bono is keeping himself from too much self-insurance : 'Two bad albums and it's done with U2. But if we could have the same career as The Rolling Stones ...'

A dream that calls other dreams : 'I have tons of projects in mind, scenarios of movies. But my most foolish dream ... is to remain awake, conscious, listening to the world and this until the end of my life. To keep on doing good music and keep my human side : all I have in front of me, in my heart, under my skin. '

And that's what has been making, for more than 20 years now, shiver ours.

So is the whole band in France, working on the album? I know Edge was there? It's possible, since Hannover Quay got shut down. Maybe the album IS in the final stages, and they are working on it in between boating and swimming in the beaches of France. I just can't imagine Bono taking that much time off in the middle of the recording of the album. He takes so much time off anyway to go kiss polititians asses. We'll know soon enough.

And I know some have said how Feb 1st is a sunday. I think he was just spitting out a general target area for when to expect the first single. Not the official release date.

Also, when talking about playing in Nice, he said that the STADIUM in town is expensive. Does this mean a stadium tour? Or maybe it means nothing, what do I know?

After thought:

The reason we've heard nothing from the press is probably because they've been relaxing and recording down in France for the whole summer. It's not Ireland, where people from the press are knocking down the studio doors and cornering Bono on all the street corners. I'm sure this area they're at now is much less complicated. Calm among chaos, as Bono said. So, we haven't had the press scrutinizing every single word they say this time, and that's why we've heard little news about the album.

Some more news from u2france > translation help needed!!!

Selon certaines indiscr?tions, le single qui anticipera le prochain album de U2 pourrait rejoindre les bacs fin janvier / d?but f?vrier. C'est Bono lui m?me qui aurait affirm? cela au cours d'une conversation informelle avec quelques fans, ajoutant que le groupe, bas? ? la maison m?me de Bono pr?s de Nice depuis quelques semaines, alternait moment de d?tente et de travail.

From what i "understand" Bono told Fans that the first single will be released sometimes at the end of january or beginning of february - like i said before: french help wanted!

Larrry

Larrry, Altavista translates that as follows:

According to certain indiscretions, the single which will anticipate the next album of U2 could join the vats at the end of January/at the beginning of February. It is Bono him even which would have affirmed that during an abstract conversation with some fans, adding that the group, based at the house even of Bono close to Nice for a few weeks, had alternated moment of relaxation and work.

That makes sense...huh? Oh, it's saying Bono is both relaxing and working...now that really does make sense. My guess is that they are finishing up recording in France, and will be done shortly. Remember Achtung Baby's recording stretched into the early part of September, which pushed the album from an October release to a mid-November release, so who knows?

the wait has killed me (and probably everyone here), but i'm sure that they won't disappoint us...

and that it'll be so sweet when we finally get it...

I'm most eager to hear Native Son, which I beleive was formerly Full Metal Jacket? which Bono described as the 'mother of all rock and roll tunes'

i just want the 30 second or so clips on u2.com. just to hear the "guitar oriented"-ness of it all.

Chizip said:
Asking Griffiths for info is like asking an impotent man to sleep with you. From the outside he may look all good and fine, but then you find out he aint got the goods.

Not that I ask impotent men to sleep with me or anything :shifty:

remember when i said that, that was funny

I believe in the March 2004 deadline for the album. It's been said a few times from the "inside" sort of speak and Bono saying they're close to finish nicely fits in with that date, plus they said they will tour in 2004, which would be unlikely IMO if they weren't going to put the album out in early 2004.

*edit* Besides, why would Bono and Edge be vacationing in France if they weren't close to the finish?
IMO the current silence of the band is a good sign.

Last edited:
Paul McGuinness told me a couple of weeks back that the album will be out at Easter, so it makes sense that the single will be out at the start of February. I guess we should see the song released to radio after Christmas. Not such a long wait folks.

Jim said:
Paul McGuinness told me a couple of weeks back that the album will be out at Easter, so it makes sense that the single will be out at the start of February. I guess we should see the song released to radio after Christmas. Not such a long wait folks.

Paul McGuinness told you shit!

Back
Top Bottom